The Vista Windows update repeatedly fails to install a "recommended" driver.

Trond Ruud

The Vista Windows update repeatedly fails to install a "recommended" driver.
Every time I log on to or begin to log off from Vista I am prompted by the
Windows updater to install an updated driver, but the update always aborts
with the message that the installation has failed
The updater says the driver is for "Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Realtek
RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter", which is
integrated on my ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE motherboard. The device Manager
liststhe adapter as an "unknown device" and reports the following for it:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display
name.
To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

The updater has stored these data about the many failed updates:

Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Networking - Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g
54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter
Download size: 142 KB
You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.
Update type: Recommended
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Networking sofware update released in April,
2007
More information:
http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20045908
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

I've been unable to find any information that is of help in these 2 links,
however.
What can, or should I do?
Trond Ruud,
Norway

freddy

RE: The Vista Windows update repeatedly fails to install a "recommende
Trond Ruud,

You must not be using this wireless adapter, since it's not working, and
thus you likely don't need it. If my reading is correct, and since the
adapter is integrated into the motherboard, you should be able to disable the
device in BIOS. Disabling it should rid you of the nagging update prompts.
Do I understand this?
--
freddy