MSFT VX6000 Lifecam not showing in "Scanners & Cameras"

Peter

MSFT VX6000 Lifecam not showing in "Scanners & Cameras"
Latest Vista driver from MSFT too. (1.3VX for Lifecam VX6000). It can't be added either because the only option is to insert a disk and the driver software comes from MSFT's website.
Also why can't we show Printers and Cameras in "My Computer" like we can in XP?

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
freddy

RE: MSFT VX6000 Lifecam not showing in "Scanners & Cameras"
Peter,

I searched the Internet and found this instruction posted by someone who
installed the VX600 on an earlier version of Vista (note use of earlier 1.2
software):

"find driver disk or download the 1.2 software from microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/di...=Lifecam%201.0

expand to a folder

plug in webcam

find 2 entrys in device manager

go to driver update

install driver for device from subdirectory from folder

(just the driver you do not need the software) 32bit or 64bit directory

microsoft and skype (new beta) are fine with the webcam microsoft has a
close beta under wraps but you need to get either a new nx device or wait
till release date for the driver which will be made available."

I'll look around some more to see whether I can find something better. Post
back if you think the above instruction useful.

As far as showing printers and cameras in My Computer (now Computer in
Vista), I don't recall ever seing printers in My Computer in WinXP, but the
camera shows up there in both WinXP and in Vista after you connect it. It
displays as a drive of some sort, no? That's my recollection from the last
time I connected my camera.
--
freddy

"Peter" wrote:

> Latest Vista driver from MSFT too. (1.3VX for Lifecam VX6000). It can't
> be added either because the only option is to insert a disk and the driver
> software comes from MSFT's website.
> Also why can't we show Printers and Cameras in "My Computer" like we can
> in XP?
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
> Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics

freddy

RE: MSFT VX6000 Lifecam not showing in "Scanners & Cameras"
Peter,

Here is another quote from a website where the poster installed the llifecam
in Vista:

"Setting up the webcam proved to be straightforward, although we had to
download software for Vista instead of installing it from the included CD.
Nevertheless, the entire process took only a few minutes."

I think this shows that users are installing the VX6000 on Vista. If you
have further problems, please post back.

--
freddy

"Peter" wrote:

> Latest Vista driver from MSFT too. (1.3VX for Lifecam VX6000). It can't
> be added either because the only option is to insert a disk and the driver
> software comes from MSFT's website.
> Also why can't we show Printers and Cameras in "My Computer" like we can
> in XP?
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
> Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics

Peter

Re: MSFT VX6000 Lifecam not showing in "Scanners & Cameras"
Thanks. I installed the camera OK right from the start...no problems and I
had to use the drivers from MSFT website because the CD is old. Just
wondered why the heck it doesn't show in Scanners & Cameras.

--
"freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
> Peter,
>
> Here is another quote from a website where the poster installed the
> llifecam
> in Vista:
>
> "Setting up the webcam proved to be straightforward, although we had to
> download software for Vista instead of installing it from the included CD.
> Nevertheless, the entire process took only a few minutes."
>
> I think this shows that users are installing the VX6000 on Vista. If you
> have further problems, please post back.
>
> --
> freddy
>

> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> Latest Vista driver from MSFT too. (1.3VX for Lifecam VX6000). It can't
>> be added either because the only option is to insert a disk and the
>> driver
>> software comes from MSFT's website.
>> Also why can't we show Printers and Cameras in "My Computer" like we can
>> in XP?
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
>> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
>> Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
>> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics

freddy

Re: MSFT VX6000 Lifecam not showing in "Scanners & Cameras"
Peter,

It's hard determining what you want to know. You need to work on your use
of the written word.
--
freddy

"Peter" wrote:

> Thanks. I installed the camera OK right from the start...no problems and I
> had to use the drivers from MSFT website because the CD is old. Just
> wondered why the heck it doesn't show in Scanners & Cameras.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
> Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics
> "freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
> > Peter,
> >
> > Here is another quote from a website where the poster installed the
> > llifecam
> > in Vista:
> >
> > "Setting up the webcam proved to be straightforward, although we had to
> > download software for Vista instead of installing it from the included CD.
> > Nevertheless, the entire process took only a few minutes."
> >
> > I think this shows that users are installing the VX6000 on Vista. If you
> > have further problems, please post back.
> >
> > --
> > freddy
> >

> > "Peter" wrote:
> >
> >> Latest Vista driver from MSFT too. (1.3VX for Lifecam VX6000). It can't
> >> be added either because the only option is to insert a disk and the
> >> driver
> >> software comes from MSFT's website.
> >> Also why can't we show Printers and Cameras in "My Computer" like we can
> >> in XP?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Peter
> >> Toronto, Canada
> >> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
> >> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
> >> Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
> >> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics

Peter

Re: MSFT VX6000 Lifecam not showing in "Scanners & Cameras"
Considering that I am English and have a degree in it, not sure how else I
could explain it.

I had no problems installing the camera using MSFT's Vista drivers from
their website. Considering it is a Microsoft product and Vista is also a
Microsoft product, why doesn't it show up in the Scanner and Cameras module?
As I said, it shows fine in XP. I'm just assuming that it is a glitch with
Vista awaiting some sort of fix down the line.
never mind, it isn't really that important.

--
> Peter,
>
> It's hard determining what you want to know. You need to work on your use
> of the written word.
> --
> freddy
>

> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> Thanks. I installed the camera OK right from the start...no problems and
>> had to use the drivers from MSFT website because the CD is old. Just
>> wondered why the heck it doesn't show in Scanners & Cameras.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
>> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
>> Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
>> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics
>> "freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
>> > Peter,
>> >
>> > Here is another quote from a website where the poster installed the
>> > llifecam
>> > in Vista:
>> >
>> > "Setting up the webcam proved to be straightforward, although we had to
>> > download software for Vista instead of installing it from the included
>> > CD.
>> > Nevertheless, the entire process took only a few minutes."
>> >
>> > I think this shows that users are installing the VX6000 on Vista. If
>> > you
>> > have further problems, please post back.
>> >
>> > --
>> > freddy

Cal Bear '66

Re: MSFT VX6000 Lifecam not showing in "Scanners & Cameras"
Where is this Scanner and Cameras module?

Computer (not My Computer) does not have it.

In Device Manager it is under "Imaging devices".

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Start/Control Panel/Hardware & Sound/

--
"Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
> Where is this Scanner and Cameras module?
>
> Computer (not My Computer) does not have it.
>
> In Device Manager it is under "Imaging devices".
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Peter" <ex_brit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Considering that I am English and have a degree in it, not sure how else
>> I could explain it.
>>
>> I had no problems installing the camera using MSFT's Vista drivers from
>> their website. Considering it is a Microsoft product and Vista is also a
>> Microsoft product, why doesn't it show up in the Scanner and Cameras
>> module?
>> As I said, it shows fine in XP. I'm just assuming that it is a glitch
>> with Vista awaiting some sort of fix down the line.
>> never mind, it isn't really that important.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
>> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
>> Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
>> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics
>> "freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
>>> Peter,
>>>
>>> It's hard determining what you want to know. You need to work on your
>>> use
>>> of the written word.
>>> --
>>> freddy

Cal Bear '66

Re: MSFT VX6000 Lifecam not showing in "Scanners & Cameras"
Oh, THAT Control Panel view. Never use it, to many clicks to get to what I
want. I use Classic view, and have Control Panel as a menu on my Start Menu.

My Logitech webcam also does not appear there and cannot be added. It must be
only useful for handheld digital cameras not webcams.

--

> Start/Control Panel/Hardware & Sound/
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
> Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics
> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
>> Where is this Scanner and Cameras module?
>>
>> Computer (not My Computer) does not have it.
>>
>> In Device Manager it is under "Imaging devices".
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Peter" <ex_brit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Considering that I am English and have a degree in it, not sure how else I
>>> could explain it.
>>>
>>> I had no problems installing the camera using MSFT's Vista drivers from
>>> their website. Considering it is a Microsoft product and Vista is also a
>>> Microsoft product, why doesn't it show up in the Scanner and Cameras module?
>>> As I said, it shows fine in XP. I'm just assuming that it is a glitch with
>>> Vista awaiting some sort of fix down the line.
>>> never mind, it isn't really that important.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter
>>> Toronto, Canada
>>> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
>>> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
>>> Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
>>> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics

Peter

Re: MSFT VX6000 Lifecam not showing in "Scanners & Cameras"
I guess that's the case. Tried Classic view, haven't decided yet which one
I prefer.