USB device recognition in Ultimate

jimboh1

USB device recognition in Ultimate
Hi-

I've recently installed ultimate on a dual-core board and am now having
problems with the boards' rear USB connectors- everytime I plug ANYTHING into
one Vista asks me for the device's driver. This is happening with simple
things like pen/flashdrives as well as more complec items, which are
recognized without difficulty on 2 installs of Home Premium without
difficulty. I am the only account on the PC, therefore an ADMIN acccount.

ANyone know how to fix this? It's becoming very frustruating!

Thanks in advance,

Jim
freddy

RE: USB device recognition in Ultimate
jimboh1,

Some folks have had good fortune in resolving problems such as you have by
deleting the INFCACHE.1 file. It's located at C:\Windows\inf (scroll down to
the file). It's OK to delete the file even when it has nothing to do with
the problem. This file can cause Windows to receive false information about
installing and recognizing hardware. I that move doesn't help, or if it
does, post back. People want to know.
--
freddy

"jimboh1" wrote:

> Hi-
>
> I've recently installed ultimate on a dual-core board and am now having
> problems with the boards' rear USB connectors- everytime I plug ANYTHING into
> one Vista asks me for the device's driver. This is happening with simple
> things like pen/flashdrives as well as more complec items, which are
> recognized without difficulty on 2 installs of Home Premium without
> difficulty. I am the only account on the PC, therefore an ADMIN acccount.
>
> ANyone know how to fix this? It's becoming very frustruating!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jim

Gustavo Guerra

Re: USB device recognition in Ultimate
I have the exact same problem.Windows locates the drivers if I specify
C:\Windows\System32 but then says:

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while
attempting to install it.
USB Mass Storage Device

This happens with two different pen drives and my digital camera. Deleting
infcache didn't work

I have Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition, my motherboard is an Asus P5B-VM, and
I have installed the latest drivers and bios.

Can anybody help please?

Regards,
Gustavo Guerra

"freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
> jimboh1,
>
> Some folks have had good fortune in resolving problems such as you have by
> deleting the INFCACHE.1 file. It's located at C:\Windows\inf (scroll down
> the file). It's OK to delete the file even when it has nothing to do with
> the problem. This file can cause Windows to receive false information
> about
> installing and recognizing hardware. I that move doesn't help, or if it
> does, post back. People want to know.
> --
> freddy
>

> "jimboh1" wrote:
>
>> Hi-
>>
>> I've recently installed ultimate on a dual-core board and am now having
>> problems with the boards' rear USB connectors- everytime I plug ANYTHING
>> into
>> one Vista asks me for the device's driver. This is happening with simple
>> things like pen/flashdrives as well as more complec items, which are
>> recognized without difficulty on 2 installs of Home Premium without
>> difficulty. I am the only account on the PC, therefore an ADMIN
>> acccount.
>>
>> ANyone know how to fix this? It's becoming very frustruating!
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Jim

Gustavo Guerra

Re: USB device recognition in Ultimate