Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/)
-   microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-hardware-devices/)
-   -   Print Spooler Locks up After first Print (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-hardware-devices/61476-print-spooler-locks-up-after-first-print.html)

JBKAYAK 06-12-2007 01:06

Print Spooler Locks up After first Print

Using Windows Vista, most (75%) laptops lock up the print spooler after the
first print. I am using a networked (TCP\IP) OKIDATA 5100C printer. Of
course, the driver is written for windows XP since OKI hasnt created a vista
driver. I see other people experiencing the same problem with other brand
name printers. I am hoping for a fix in VISTA... any IDEAS?
Thanks

freddy 06-12-2007 02:06

RE: Print Spooler Locks up After first Print

JBKAYAK,

I doubt that Microsoft will develop drivers for Oki printers. If Oki has no
Vista compatible printer drivers for its printers, then I don't see any
alternative to buying a printer that is compatible with Vista. You can try
using google to search the Internet for 3rd party printer drivers to see what
you fined, but don't count on finding anything.
--
freddy

Richard G. Harper 06-12-2007 10:25

Re: Print Spooler Locks up After first Print

I don't think Microsoft *can* fix Vista so that Windows XP drivers and
unsupported devices will work. Device driver problems are the fault of the
hardware manufacturer and they need to step up and release Vista drivers.

JBKAYAK 06-14-2007 20:36

Re: Print Spooler Locks up After first Print

I know the problem resides with okidata. Seems the XP driver doesnt have a
character string to "hang up the print spooler"

is there a work around such as:
print directly to printer rather tham start printer imediately under printer
properties.

or

can you use a net use in command prompt to reset the print spooler after it
locks up??

Thanks for any ideas?

Richard G. Harper 06-14-2007 22:30

Re: Print Spooler Locks up After first Print

You could try running NET STOP SPOOLER followed by NET START SPOOLER at an
elevated command prompt. Or you could get a supported printer. :-)

BigPhil63 07-03-2007 17:14

RE: Print Spooler Locks up After first Print

I have a similar configuration with an OKI 5200n and OKI's response to my
request for tech assist was to check windows update for an updated driver. I
am looking for an answer in the open source world where I have had success
before and if I find something I will post a link. For now, I use the new HP
printer that is windows
compatible but I will be working for a solution
--
Phil T