Printer through a shared printer is horribly slow.

Upstech

Printer through a shared printer is horribly slow.
I am using Windows Vista Home and am having problems printing to a shared
printer. The shared printer is connected to a Windows XP workstation. The
printer is a sharp copier connected via USB. The network is two workstations
in a workgroup connected via a wireless connection. It takes a very long time
and even times out when printing from peachtree. I have never experienced an
issue like this with XP. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly
appreciated.

freddy

RE: Printer through a shared printer is horribly slow.
Upstech,

Take a look at the following exchange concerning a similar issue I copied
from another forum. You may be able to gain some insight from it to enable
you to apply some of their comments to your situation:

http://forums.vnunet.com/thread.jspa?messageID=783585

Setting up and sharing a printer on a network can tax the mind. Let us know
whether anything here helps. People want to know.
--
freddy

"Upstech" wrote:

> I am using Windows Vista Home and am having problems printing to a shared
> printer. The shared printer is connected to a Windows XP workstation. The
> printer is a sharp copier connected via USB. The network is two workstations
> in a workgroup connected via a wireless connection. It takes a very long time
> and even times out when printing from peachtree. I have never experienced an
> issue like this with XP. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly
> appreciated.

freddy

RE: Printer through a shared printer is horribly slow.
Upstech,

Here is a program that sets up printer sharing on a network:

http://www.networkmagic.com/nmlp/vis...FRJwZQodMFUZuA
--
freddy

"Upstech" wrote:

> I am using Windows Vista Home and am having problems printing to a shared
> printer. The shared printer is connected to a Windows XP workstation. The
> printer is a sharp copier connected via USB. The network is two workstations
> in a workgroup connected via a wireless connection. It takes a very long time
> and even times out when printing from peachtree. I have never experienced an
> issue like this with XP. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly
> appreciated.

freddy

RE: Printer through a shared printer is horribly slow.
Upstech,

I neglected to ask whether the printer drivers are compatible with Vista?
I'm not sure how sharing a printer on a network using the same drivers on two
versions of Windows works. Anyone?
--
freddy

"Upstech" wrote:

> I am using Windows Vista Home and am having problems printing to a shared
> printer. The shared printer is connected to a Windows XP workstation. The
> printer is a sharp copier connected via USB. The network is two workstations
> in a workgroup connected via a wireless connection. It takes a very long time
> and even times out when printing from peachtree. I have never experienced an
> issue like this with XP. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly
> appreciated.

Upstech

RE: Printer through a shared printer is horribly slow.
I appreciate the replies but I am very familiar with setting up a shared
printer. The printer is already shared but printing from vista to XP is just
terribly slow. I was just looking to see if anyone else is experiencing the
issue. The driver I used for the printer on the XP machine is actually
compatible for XP and Vista. The printer works fine thru most application its
just that it locks up printing from Peachtree.

> I neglected to ask whether the printer drivers are compatible with Vista?
> I'm not sure how sharing a printer on a network using the same drivers on two
> versions of Windows works. Anyone?
> --
> freddy
>

> "Upstech" wrote:
>
> > I am using Windows Vista Home and am having problems printing to a shared
> > printer. The shared printer is connected to a Windows XP workstation. The
> > printer is a sharp copier connected via USB. The network is two workstations
> > in a workgroup connected via a wireless connection. It takes a very long time
> > and even times out when printing from peachtree. I have never experienced an
> > issue like this with XP. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly
> > appreciated.

freddy

RE: Printer through a shared printer is horribly slow.
Upstech,

Oh, OK. I didn't appreciate the point you were making. That can happen
when one is trying to understand a situation from afar.
--
freddy

"Upstech" wrote:

> I appreciate the replies but I am very familiar with setting up a shared
> printer. The printer is already shared but printing from vista to XP is just
> terribly slow. I was just looking to see if anyone else is experiencing the
> issue. The driver I used for the printer on the XP machine is actually
> compatible for XP and Vista. The printer works fine thru most application its
> just that it locks up printing from Peachtree.
> >
> > I neglected to ask whether the printer drivers are compatible with Vista?
> > I'm not sure how sharing a printer on a network using the same drivers on two
> > versions of Windows works. Anyone?
> > --
> > freddy
> >

> > "Upstech" wrote:
> >
> > > I am using Windows Vista Home and am having problems printing to a shared
> > > printer. The shared printer is connected to a Windows XP workstation. The
> > > printer is a sharp copier connected via USB. The network is two workstations
> > > in a workgroup connected via a wireless connection. It takes a very long time
> > > and even times out when printing from peachtree. I have never experienced an
> > > issue like this with XP. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly
> > > appreciated.

Upstech

RE: Printer through a shared printer is horribly slow.
Oh no worries. I appreciate the responses either way.

"freddy" wrote:

> Upstech,
>
> Oh, OK. I didn't appreciate the point you were making. That can happen
> when one is trying to understand a situation from afar.
> --
> freddy
>

> "Upstech" wrote:
>
> > I appreciate the replies but I am very familiar with setting up a shared
> > printer. The printer is already shared but printing from vista to XP is just
> > terribly slow. I was just looking to see if anyone else is experiencing the
> > issue. The driver I used for the printer on the XP machine is actually
> > compatible for XP and Vista. The printer works fine thru most application its
> > just that it locks up printing from Peachtree.
> > >
> > > I neglected to ask whether the printer drivers are compatible with Vista?
> > > I'm not sure how sharing a printer on a network using the same drivers on two
> > > versions of Windows works. Anyone?
> > > --
> > > freddy

Kiwi John

RE: Printer through a shared printer is horribly slow.
Hey, you may well have found a better solution now, but this is what I
learned. Install the printer on your Vista machine as a local printer. In the
port name put the path to the shared printer on the XP machine eg. \\xp
computer\printer. Make sure you install the Vista driver for the printer on
the vista machine. (If you install as a network printer Windows automatically
installs the driver off the XP machine and you can't change it)

I did this and printing from the vista machine was as fast as printing from
the XP machine that the printer was attached to. Also resolved all the
printing issues I had with Office products, particularly Word 2003.

"Upstech" wrote:

> Oh no worries. I appreciate the responses either way.
>
> "freddy" wrote:
>
> > Upstech,
> >
> > Oh, OK. I didn't appreciate the point you were making. That can happen
> > when one is trying to understand a situation from afar.
> > --
> > freddy
> >

> > "Upstech" wrote:
> >
> > > I appreciate the replies but I am very familiar with setting up a shared
> > > printer. The printer is already shared but printing from vista to XP is just
> > > terribly slow. I was just looking to see if anyone else is experiencing the
> > > issue. The driver I used for the printer on the XP machine is actually
> > > compatible for XP and Vista. The printer works fine thru most application its
> > > just that it locks up printing from Peachtree.

john

Re: Printer through a shared printer is horribly slow.
Hi

Ah - someone who has had similar ****** problems to me! Sorry to be a
nuisance, but could I just make sure I understand what I need to do to put
things right ....

At present, my printer is on my VISTA Pc and can be accessed from my
networked (via a router) XP Pc. Yes, using the printer from the XP Pc is
awful (very slow, Word problems, etc).

Would it be the case that, as my printer (an Epson Stylus CX5200)
manufacturer does not supply a VISTA driver, there would be no point in my
trying your suggested solution?

No doubt a daft question but still hoping you can help (!) ...

Cheers,
John
[To reply to me ONLY, remove the 'zy_']