Another Mouse Freezing Problem

Guy Thomas

Another Mouse Freezing Problem
Problem the mouse freezes. One of those intermittent problems.

Onset may have coincided with installing:

Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless Router Model WGT 624

At first I blamed Outlook 2007. However switching Outlook to safe mode did
not cure the problem.

On inspecting Norton, I spotted the following message:

"an intrusion attempt by 192.168.1.1 was blocked."

Clean install of Vista on a new machine with 1GB Ram

Microsoft Mouse.

Any ideas grateful received

Guy

freddy

RE: Another Mouse Freezing Problem
Guy,

Maybe something in this article can provide a clue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932653/

Post back on what happens. People want to know.
--
freddy

"Guy Thomas" wrote:

> Problem the mouse freezes. One of those intermittent problems.
>
> Onset may have coincided with installing:
>
> Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless Router Model WGT 624
>

> At first I blamed Outlook 2007. However switching Outlook to safe mode did
> not cure the problem.
>
> On inspecting Norton, I spotted the following message:
>
> "an intrusion attempt by 192.168.1.1 was blocked."
>
> Clean install of Vista on a new machine with 1GB Ram
>
> Microsoft Mouse.
>
> Any ideas grateful received
>
> Guy

freddy

RE: Another Mouse Freezing Problem
Guy,

I looked around the Internet and found a lot of posts where people had
similar problems. Here are a few of the things they said about mouse
freezing:

Are you using Aero Mouse pointers? The latest Nvidia drivers have an
issue with Aero Mouse pointers and will cause the intermittent mouse
cursor issue. Change to another mouse pointer (I'm using Windows
animated and that took care of the problem)

Re: Mouse freezes intermittently
Hi, I had this with a dell and I was told to change the ports the sata
drives were on i.e. instead of ports 2 & 3 I changed them to 3 & 5 and since
then no freezes. Be sure to change this in the bios as well.
Check in Task Manager. Odds are your computer is at 100% and you have to
wait. I had this frequently (mouse freeze) when I was running a 3500+.
Problems solved
with a 5200+.

The Solution (to mouse freezing)

There currently isn't one. We have been trying to figure this out, but to no
avail. It's very likely a nForce 590 USB driver issue, although we cannot be
certain. It is not a mouse driver issue since we tried using the official
mouse driver (from Razer in this case) and the default Windows Vista mouse
driver.

If you can't resolve the problem here, you can try googling around to see
what you find.
--
freddy

"Guy Thomas" wrote:

> Problem the mouse freezes. One of those intermittent problems.
>
> Onset may have coincided with installing:
>
> Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless Router Model WGT 624
>

> At first I blamed Outlook 2007. However switching Outlook to safe mode did
> not cure the problem.
>
> On inspecting Norton, I spotted the following message:
>
> "an intrusion attempt by 192.168.1.1 was blocked."
>
> Clean install of Vista on a new machine with 1GB Ram
>
> Microsoft Mouse.
>
> Any ideas grateful received
>
> Guy

Guy Thomas

Re: Another Mouse Freezing Problem
Dear Freddy

Many thanks for your fulsome response. Much appreciated, I shall away and
try your ideas.

Guy

"freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
> Guy,
>
> I looked around the Internet and found a lot of posts where people had
> similar problems. Here are a few of the things they said about mouse
> freezing:
>
> Are you using Aero Mouse pointers? The latest Nvidia drivers have an
> issue with Aero Mouse pointers and will cause the intermittent mouse
> cursor issue. Change to another mouse pointer (I'm using Windows
> animated and that took care of the problem)
>
> Re: Mouse freezes intermittently
> Hi, I had this with a dell and I was told to change the ports the sata
> drives were on i.e. instead of ports 2 & 3 I changed them to 3 & 5 and
> since
> then no freezes. Be sure to change this in the bios as well.
> Check in Task Manager. Odds are your computer is at 100% and you have to
> wait. I had this frequently (mouse freeze) when I was running a 3500+.
> Problems solved
> with a 5200+.
>
> The Solution (to mouse freezing)
>
> There currently isn't one. We have been trying to figure this out, but to
> no
> avail. It's very likely a nForce 590 USB driver issue, although we cannot
> be
> certain. It is not a mouse driver issue since we tried using the official
> mouse driver (from Razer in this case) and the default Windows Vista mouse
> driver.
>
> If you can't resolve the problem here, you can try googling around to see
> what you find.
> --
> freddy
>

> "Guy Thomas" wrote:
>
>> Problem the mouse freezes. One of those intermittent problems.
>>
>> Onset may have coincided with installing:
>>
>> Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless Router Model WGT 624
>>

>> At first I blamed Outlook 2007. However switching Outlook to safe mode
>> did
>> not cure the problem.
>>
>> On inspecting Norton, I spotted the following message:
>>
>> "an intrusion attempt by 192.168.1.1 was blocked."
>>
>> Clean install of Vista on a new machine with 1GB Ram
>>
>> Microsoft Mouse.
>>
>> Any ideas grateful received
>>
>> Guy

JW

Re: Another Mouse Freezing Problem
192.168.1.1 is the default address of many routers so I suspect that your
router is sending an unsolicited message such as a status ping to your pc
you need to tell Norton to accept messages from it.

"Guy Thomas" <guy@computerperformance.co.uk> wrote in message
> Dear Freddy
>
> Many thanks for your fulsome response. Much appreciated, I shall away and
> try your ideas.
>
> Guy
>
> "freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
>> Guy,
>>
>> I looked around the Internet and found a lot of posts where people had
>> similar problems. Here are a few of the things they said about mouse
>> freezing:
>>
>> Are you using Aero Mouse pointers? The latest Nvidia drivers have an
>> issue with Aero Mouse pointers and will cause the intermittent mouse
>> cursor issue. Change to another mouse pointer (I'm using Windows
>> animated and that took care of the problem)
>>
>> Re: Mouse freezes intermittently
>> Hi, I had this with a dell and I was told to change the ports the sata
>> drives were on i.e. instead of ports 2 & 3 I changed them to 3 & 5 and
>> since
>> then no freezes. Be sure to change this in the bios as well.
>> Check in Task Manager. Odds are your computer is at 100% and you have to
>> wait. I had this frequently (mouse freeze) when I was running a 3500+.
>> Problems solved
>> with a 5200+.
>>
>> The Solution (to mouse freezing)
>>
>> There currently isn't one. We have been trying to figure this out, but to
>> no
>> avail. It's very likely a nForce 590 USB driver issue, although we cannot
>> be
>> certain. It is not a mouse driver issue since we tried using the official
>> mouse driver (from Razer in this case) and the default Windows Vista
>> mouse
>> driver.
>>
>> If you can't resolve the problem here, you can try googling around to see
>> what you find.
>> --
>> freddy
>>

>> "Guy Thomas" wrote:
>>
>>> Problem the mouse freezes. One of those intermittent problems.
>>>
>>> Onset may have coincided with installing:
>>>
>>> Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless Router Model WGT 624
>>>

>>> At first I blamed Outlook 2007. However switching Outlook to safe mode
>>> did
>>> not cure the problem.
>>>
>>> On inspecting Norton, I spotted the following message:
>>>
>>> "an intrusion attempt by 192.168.1.1 was blocked."
>>>
>>> Clean install of Vista on a new machine with 1GB Ram
>>>
>>> Microsoft Mouse.
>>>
>>> Any ideas grateful received
>>>
>>> Guy

Garrot

Re: Another Mouse Freezing Problem
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:31:56 +0100, "Guy Thomas"
<guy@computerperformance.co.uk> wrote:

>Problem the mouse freezes. One of those intermittent problems.
>
>Onset may have coincided with installing:
>
>Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless Router Model WGT 624
>

>At first I blamed Outlook 2007. However switching Outlook to safe mode did
>not cure the problem.
>
>On inspecting Norton, I spotted the following message:
>
>"an intrusion attempt by 192.168.1.1 was blocked."
>
>Clean install of Vista on a new machine with 1GB Ram
>
>Microsoft Mouse.
>
>Any ideas grateful received
>
>Guy

Hmm, I just made a post about a similar issue. I have traced my issue
back to my PS2 KVM as when I use the mouse on USB the mouse works
fine. I use PS2 KVM som use adapters on the USB mouse. I notice that
if I isntall the Logitech drivers the mouse is only recognized as
MX518 when connected to USB. I think Vista is just not always seeing
the mouse when it is on the KVM.
motarola2

Re: Another Mouse Freezing Problem

try to disable the wireless adapter if you have one (try even taking it
out).
try a clean boot (to disable all programs running in the background)
'How to perform a clean boot procedure to prevent background programs
from interfering with a game or a program that you currently use'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796/en-us)
also check if you get the same problem in safe mode.

--
motarola2
Cordovite

Re: Another Mouse Freezing Problem

I tried Freddy's post # 3 solution re: Areo mouse pointers.
Unfortunatly, it did not work for me.

What do you think I should be looking for Motarola2, or rather, what do
you think a clean boot might tell me?

--
Cordovite
motarola2

Re: Another Mouse Freezing Problem

- normally when the mouse freezes is because the computer is busy doing
some other things in the background, thats why trying a clean boot might
help you fix the problem.
- try also entering safe mode to see if you get the same issue, safe
mode loads different drivers (basic drivers), and a lot of things are
disabled there.
- try a system restore, picking the earliest date available that you
get
basicly if the problem continues after that, you'll need to reinstall
windows

--
motarola2
Cordovite

Re: Another Mouse Freezing Problem

I installed another driver, changing from Intellipoint Pro 6.1 to just
plain Intellipoint 6.1.
Uggghhh....This seems to have cleared up the problem.

--
Cordovite