Dell 24" monitor driver won't install

phypps

Dell 24" monitor driver won't install
Just fitted a new 24" dell monitor (2407WFP)

Windows Vista recognises 1920x1200 no problem, so thats OK.
But monitor is only recognised as Generic plug & play
(which it would do of course without specific drivers)

In order to have more control of model specific functions and accurate
colour profiling I need to install proper driver(s).
The CD that came with the monitor said it did not support my system
(presumably only XP drivers ?)
So I downloaded Vista specific drivers for the exact model of monitor
(should contain both 32 and 64 bit according to the info)
No setup.exe so tried to "install" the INF file.
However this also failed to run.

Would be grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks in advance

Phypps

Mac

Re: Dell 24" monitor driver won't install
Have you tried Control Panel, System, Hardware,..... Update Driver, and let
Vista find the downloaded drivers?

"phypps" <nobody@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Just fitted a new 24" dell monitor (2407WFP)
>
> Windows Vista recognises 1920x1200 no problem, so thats OK.
> But monitor is only recognised as Generic plug & play
> (which it would do of course without specific drivers)
>
> In order to have more control of model specific functions and accurate
> colour profiling I need to install proper driver(s).
> The CD that came with the monitor said it did not support my system
> (presumably only XP drivers ?)
> So I downloaded Vista specific drivers for the exact model of monitor
> (should contain both 32 and 64 bit according to the info)
> No setup.exe so tried to "install" the INF file.
> However this also failed to run.
>
> Would be grateful for any suggestions.
> Thanks in advance
>

> Phypps

Neil Harley

phypps wrote:
> Just fitted a new 24" dell monitor (2407WFP)
>
> Windows Vista recognises 1920x1200 no problem, so thats OK.
> But monitor is only recognised as Generic plug & play
> (which it would do of course without specific drivers)
>
> In order to have more control of model specific functions and accurate
> colour profiling I need to install proper driver(s).
> The CD that came with the monitor said it did not support my system
> (presumably only XP drivers ?)
> So I downloaded Vista specific drivers for the exact model of monitor
> (should contain both 32 and 64 bit according to the info)
> No setup.exe so tried to "install" the INF file.
> However this also failed to run.
>
> Would be grateful for any suggestions.
> Thanks in advance
>

> Phypps

Phypps

Go into Device Manager and right click the Generic PnP Monitor. Select
Update driver software/Browse my computer ... and browse to where your
new drivers are. You should find that it then installs.
Andrew Tapp

RE: Dell 24" monitor driver won't install
I've got exactly the same monitor and running on the Dell downloaded Vista
drivers with no problems.

- Right-click on the desktop and Personalize
- Click on Display Settings
- From the Monitor tab click on Advanced Settings
- Click on the Monitor tab
- Click on Properties and accept the UAC
- From the Monitor Properties dialog click on the Driver tab
- Click on Update Driver
- On the dialog box that opens select 'Browse my computer for driver software'
- Browse to the folder where the .inf file etc. were extracted and follow
the instructions

Hope this helps.

"phypps" wrote:

> Just fitted a new 24" dell monitor (2407WFP)
>
> Windows Vista recognises 1920x1200 no problem, so thats OK.
> But monitor is only recognised as Generic plug & play
> (which it would do of course without specific drivers)
>
> In order to have more control of model specific functions and accurate
> colour profiling I need to install proper driver(s).
> The CD that came with the monitor said it did not support my system
> (presumably only XP drivers ?)
> So I downloaded Vista specific drivers for the exact model of monitor
> (should contain both 32 and 64 bit according to the info)
> No setup.exe so tried to "install" the INF file.
> However this also failed to run.
>
> Would be grateful for any suggestions.
> Thanks in advance
>

> Phypps

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Dell 24" monitor driver won't install
Update the drivers for your graphics card.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"phypps" <nobody@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Just fitted a new 24" dell monitor (2407WFP)
>
> Windows Vista recognises 1920x1200 no problem, so thats OK.
> But monitor is only recognised as Generic plug & play
> (which it would do of course without specific drivers)
>
> In order to have more control of model specific functions and accurate
> colour profiling I need to install proper driver(s).
> The CD that came with the monitor said it did not support my system
> (presumably only XP drivers ?)
> So I downloaded Vista specific drivers for the exact model of monitor
> (should contain both 32 and 64 bit according to the info)
> No setup.exe so tried to "install" the INF file.
> However this also failed to run.
>
> Would be grateful for any suggestions.
> Thanks in advance
>

> Phypps

Si

Re: Dell 24" monitor driver won't install
I have the same problem with my monitor and trying to update the driver
using the method laid out here does not work for me. I get the message that
vista already has the latest driver installed or words to that effect. Do
try it though as it may well work for you.

Cheers.

Si

"Andrew Tapp" <AndrewTapp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've got exactly the same monitor and running on the Dell downloaded Vista
> drivers with no problems.
>
> - Right-click on the desktop and Personalize
> - Click on Display Settings
> - From the Monitor tab click on Advanced Settings
> - Click on the Monitor tab
> - Click on Properties and accept the UAC
> - From the Monitor Properties dialog click on the Driver tab
> - Click on Update Driver
> - On the dialog box that opens select 'Browse my computer for driver
> software'
> - Browse to the folder where the .inf file etc. were extracted and follow
> the instructions
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> "phypps" wrote:
>
>> Just fitted a new 24" dell monitor (2407WFP)
>>
>> Windows Vista recognises 1920x1200 no problem, so thats OK.
>> But monitor is only recognised as Generic plug & play
>> (which it would do of course without specific drivers)
>>
>> In order to have more control of model specific functions and accurate
>> colour profiling I need to install proper driver(s).
>> The CD that came with the monitor said it did not support my system
>> (presumably only XP drivers ?)
>> So I downloaded Vista specific drivers for the exact model of monitor
>> (should contain both 32 and 64 bit according to the info)
>> No setup.exe so tried to "install" the INF file.
>> However this also failed to run.
>>
>> Would be grateful for any suggestions.
>> Thanks in advance
>>

>> Phypps

Drew

Re: Dell 24" monitor driver won't install
Running the same monitor ( side note ..awesome monitor !!) I did not have
any problems and I would not normally do this but windows update has the new
driver for that monitor or at least it is the one I am using...Have you
tried this ??
"Si" <zen114955@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have the same problem with my monitor and trying to update the driver
>using the method laid out here does not work for me. I get the message that
>vista already has the latest driver installed or words to that effect. Do
>try it though as it may well work for you.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Si
>
> "Andrew Tapp" <AndrewTapp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I've got exactly the same monitor and running on the Dell downloaded
>> Vista
>> drivers with no problems.
>>
>> - Right-click on the desktop and Personalize
>> - Click on Display Settings
>> - From the Monitor tab click on Advanced Settings
>> - Click on the Monitor tab
>> - Click on Properties and accept the UAC
>> - From the Monitor Properties dialog click on the Driver tab
>> - Click on Update Driver
>> - On the dialog box that opens select 'Browse my computer for driver
>> software'
>> - Browse to the folder where the .inf file etc. were extracted and follow
>> the instructions
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>

>> "phypps" wrote:
>>
>>> Just fitted a new 24" dell monitor (2407WFP)
>>>
>>> Windows Vista recognises 1920x1200 no problem, so thats OK.
>>> But monitor is only recognised as Generic plug & play
>>> (which it would do of course without specific drivers)
>>>
>>> In order to have more control of model specific functions and accurate
>>> colour profiling I need to install proper driver(s).
>>> The CD that came with the monitor said it did not support my system
>>> (presumably only XP drivers ?)
>>> So I downloaded Vista specific drivers for the exact model of monitor
>>> (should contain both 32 and 64 bit according to the info)
>>> No setup.exe so tried to "install" the INF file.
>>> However this also failed to run.
>>>
>>> Would be grateful for any suggestions.
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>

>>> Phypps

phypps

Dell 24" monitor driver won't install
Thanks guys.

I extracted the zip file to a sub folder of C:\Drivers where all the OEM
stuff was located.
Then used the "update driver" option in advanced display properties as
instructed.
Worked perfectly.
Monitor now recognised correctly, and appropriate colour profile available.

I am so used to using specific setup executables to install drivers so that
ALL relevant features are installed.
I find that Windows controlled installs often result in the bare driver and
miss certain helper apps etc.
However in this case you were exactly right, and shall use this method if a
specific setup.exe is absent in future.

Of course, sods law kicks in. Shortly after a successful install (but
before a restart) Windows Update informs me that it has this exact driver
update anyway !

Finally, totally irrelevant to the above, Oblivion looks fantastic on this
monitor.
(I am assuming that anyone with this screen has a high spec system to run
Oblivion properly)

Thanks again for providing accurate, no nonsense advice that was right on
the money.

Phypps

"Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Running the same monitor ( side note ..awesome monitor !!) I did not have
> any problems and I would not normally do this but windows update has the
> new driver for that monitor or at least it is the one I am using...Have
> you tried this ??
> "Si" <zen114955@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I have the same problem with my monitor and trying to update the driver
>>using the method laid out here does not work for me. I get the message
>>that vista already has the latest driver installed or words to that
>>effect. Do try it though as it may well work for you.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Si
>>
>> "Andrew Tapp" <AndrewTapp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I've got exactly the same monitor and running on the Dell downloaded
>>> Vista
>>> drivers with no problems.
>>>
>>> - Right-click on the desktop and Personalize
>>> - Click on Display Settings
>>> - From the Monitor tab click on Advanced Settings
>>> - Click on the Monitor tab
>>> - Click on Properties and accept the UAC
>>> - From the Monitor Properties dialog click on the Driver tab
>>> - Click on Update Driver
>>> - On the dialog box that opens select 'Browse my computer for driver
>>> software'
>>> - Browse to the folder where the .inf file etc. were extracted and
>>> follow
>>> the instructions
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)