Missing VGA driver

rh0000

Missing VGA driver
I have Vista Home Basic and until recently have used the VGA monitor driver
which comes with Vista, instead of using the Intel 945 driver which is the
default monitor driver on my laptop. This is because I have some software
which needs to use “full screen” mode, and which won’t work if you attempt to
open the software in a window. (The VGA driver will work in full screen mode,
but the Intel 945 driver won't.) I accessed the VGA adapter via start /
control panel / appearance / personalisation / display settings / advanced
settings / adapter / properties / driver / update driver / browse my computer
for driver software / let me pick from a list. Following this path gave me a
list of available monitor drivers, including a standard VGA driver. I
installed this and it worked well, though I had to reinstall it every few
days as each time I had a Windows update I found that the Intel 945 driver
was reinstalled. However, I now find that the standard VGA driver has
disappeared from the list of available drivers, so I can’t install it any
more. Where has it gone and how can I get it back again? I imagine that the
driver itself hasn’t disappeared, but that some link is no longer accessed.
Can anyone help me?
freddy

RE: Missing VGA driver
rh0000,

It's unlikely that the Standard VGA driver is the correct driver for your
laptop. Standard VGA produces 640 x 480 resolution by default. Your laptop
should be set to its native resolution, which you likely know what that
setting is. I don't know what graphics adapter driver Vista installed when
you installed Vista. Your need to determine what driver is correct for your
laptop and install that.

A good way to begin determining the proper driver, is to visit the website
of the manufacturer of your laptop. At the site, search for the correct
Vista graphics adapter driver and download and install that.

After making sure you have the correct driver installed, set your monitor
resolution to its native resolution, which you can determine by looking in
the documentation that came with your laptop, or by finding it at the
manufacturers website, if you don't already know what it is. You already
know where in Windows you set that resolution setting, from you prior
comments.
--
freddy

"rh0000" wrote:

> I have Vista Home Basic and until recently have used the VGA monitor driver
> which comes with Vista, instead of using the Intel 945 driver which is the
> default monitor driver on my laptop. This is because I have some software
> which needs to use “full screen” mode, and which won’t work if you attempt to
> open the software in a window. (The VGA driver will work in full screen mode,
> but the Intel 945 driver won't.) I accessed the VGA adapter via start /
> control panel / appearance / personalisation / display settings / advanced
> settings / adapter / properties / driver / update driver / browse my computer
> for driver software / let me pick from a list. Following this path gave me a
> list of available monitor drivers, including a standard VGA driver. I
> installed this and it worked well, though I had to reinstall it every few
> days as each time I had a Windows update I found that the Intel 945 driver
> was reinstalled. However, I now find that the standard VGA driver has
> disappeared from the list of available drivers, so I can’t install it any
> more. Where has it gone and how can I get it back again? I imagine that the
> driver itself hasn’t disappeared, but that some link is no longer accessed.
> Can anyone help me?

rh0000

RE: Missing VGA driver
Thanks for replying promptly, but your reply doesn't really answer my
question. I don't want to install the "proper" driver for my laptop. I
already have the proper driver, one for the Intel 945 chipset on my laptop,
but because it won't operate in full screen mode it won't let me do what I
want. So I want to swap this driver for a VGA driver. I have done this
successfully until a few days ago but am no longer able to do so. A number of
sources say that Vista includes (somewhere) a VGA driver, and as I say I have
previously managed to install this and it worked fine, allowing me to run
programs in full screen mode. But now I find that this VGA driver is no
longer available to me, though it once was, and I want to know how I can
access it again. My manufacturer's website (Toshiba) will only provide
drivers for the Intel 945 chipset, not the VGA driver which I am told exists
in Vista, so my problem remains.

"freddy" wrote:

> rh0000,
>
> It's unlikely that the Standard VGA driver is the correct driver for your
> laptop. Standard VGA produces 640 x 480 resolution by default. Your laptop
> should be set to its native resolution, which you likely know what that
> setting is. I don't know what graphics adapter driver Vista installed when
> you installed Vista. Your need to determine what driver is correct for your
> laptop and install that.
>
> A good way to begin determining the proper driver, is to visit the website
> of the manufacturer of your laptop. At the site, search for the correct
> Vista graphics adapter driver and download and install that.
>
> After making sure you have the correct driver installed, set your monitor
> resolution to its native resolution, which you can determine by looking in
> the documentation that came with your laptop, or by finding it at the
> manufacturers website, if you don't already know what it is. You already
> know where in Windows you set that resolution setting, from you prior
> comments.
> --
> freddy
>

> "rh0000" wrote:
>
> > I have Vista Home Basic and until recently have used the VGA monitor driver
> > which comes with Vista, instead of using the Intel 945 driver which is the
> > default monitor driver on my laptop. This is because I have some software
> > which needs to use “full screen” mode, and which won’t work if you attempt to
> > open the software in a window. (The VGA driver will work in full screen mode,
> > but the Intel 945 driver won't.) I accessed the VGA adapter via start /
> > control panel / appearance / personalisation / display settings / advanced
> > settings / adapter / properties / driver / update driver / browse my computer
> > for driver software / let me pick from a list. Following this path gave me a
> > list of available monitor drivers, including a standard VGA driver. I
> > installed this and it worked well, though I had to reinstall it every few
> > days as each time I had a Windows update I found that the Intel 945 driver
> > was reinstalled. However, I now find that the standard VGA driver has
> > disappeared from the list of available drivers, so I can’t install it any
> > more. Where has it gone and how can I get it back again? I imagine that the
> > driver itself hasn’t disappeared, but that some link is no longer accessed.
> > Can anyone help me?

freddy

RE: Missing VGA driver
rh0000,

OK, in Device Manager under Properties for the VGA adapter and under the
Drivers tab, click on Roll Back Driver.
--
freddy

"rh0000" wrote:

> [...]
> > > but the Intel 945 driver won't.) I accessed the VGA adapter via start /
> > > control panel / appearance / personalisation / display settings / advanced
> > > settings / adapter / properties / driver / update driver / browse my computer
> > > for driver software / let me pick from a list. Following this path gave me a
> > > list of available monitor drivers, including a standard VGA driver. I
> > > installed this and it worked well, though I had to reinstall it every few
> > > days as each time I had a Windows update I found that the Intel 945 driver
> > > was reinstalled. However, I now find that the standard VGA driver has
> > > disappeared from the list of available drivers, so I can’t install it any
> > > more. Where has it gone and how can I get it back again? I imagine that the
> > > driver itself hasn’t disappeared, but that some link is no longer accessed.

rh0000

RE: Missing VGA driver
Dear Freddy, Many thanks for your continued interest in my problem. In the
past few minutes, I had the bright (?) idea of uninstalling my video driver
in an attempt to get my laptop to revert to the VGA driver. This has sort of
worked, in that I now have a video driver VgaSave, a non plug and play driver
according to Device Manager. This enables me to run programs in full screen
mode, and the rest of the programs are fine as well. However, it has also
meant that I no longer have a separate listing (apart from under
non-plug-and-play) for the video driver. In particular, there is nothing I
can roll back. However, I do recall that previously, when I was trying to
locate the disappeared VGA driver, I found the menu to which you refer, but
the "roll back" box was unavailable. So the situation is: I'm happy for the
moment in that I can run programs full screen; I'm a little concerned that I
may have stored up problems for the future; and for the moment I can't follow
your suggestions in any case. Things will probably have to stay that way for
the time being, though I expect they may change after my next Windows update,
when I may approach you once more! Anyway, thanks again.

"freddy" wrote:

> rh0000,
>
> OK, in Device Manager under Properties for the VGA adapter and under the
> Drivers tab, click on Roll Back Driver.
> --
> freddy
>

> "rh0000" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for replying promptly, but your reply doesn't really answer my
> > question. I don't want to install the "proper" driver for my laptop. I
> > already have the proper driver, one for the Intel 945 chipset on my laptop,
> > but because it won't operate in full screen mode it won't let me do what I
> > want. So I want to swap this driver for a VGA driver. I have done this
> > successfully until a few days ago but am no longer able to do so. A number of
> > sources say that Vista includes (somewhere) a VGA driver, and as I say I have
> > previously managed to install this and it worked fine, allowing me to run
> > programs in full screen mode. But now I find that this VGA driver is no
> > longer available to me, though it once was, and I want to know how I can
> > access it again. My manufacturer's website (Toshiba) will only provide
> > drivers for the Intel 945 chipset, not the VGA driver which I am told exists
> > in Vista, so my problem remains.
> >
> > "freddy" wrote:
> >
> > > rh0000,
> > >
> > > It's unlikely that the Standard VGA driver is the correct driver for your
> > > laptop. Standard VGA produces 640 x 480 resolution by default. Your laptop
> > > should be set to its native resolution, which you likely know what that
> > > setting is. I don't know what graphics adapter driver Vista installed when
> > > you installed Vista. Your need to determine what driver is correct for your
> > > laptop and install that.
> > >
> > > A good way to begin determining the proper driver, is to visit the website
> > > of the manufacturer of your laptop. At the site, search for the correct
> > > Vista graphics adapter driver and download and install that.
> > >
> > > After making sure you have the correct driver installed, set your monitor
> > > resolution to its native resolution, which you can determine by looking in
> > > the documentation that came with your laptop, or by finding it at the
> > > manufacturers website, if you don't already know what it is. You already
> > > know where in Windows you set that resolution setting, from you prior
> > > comments.
> > > --
> > > freddy

freddy

RE: Missing VGA driver
rh0000,

I'm beginning to get some insight as to the problem from all your comments.
I'll wager some funds that your motherboard chipset drivers didn't install or
didn't install fully. That's why the drivers that should work properly do
not do so. You should install the motherboard chipset drivers. You should
be able to find them at the website of the manufacturer of your laptop. Be
sure to get the right ones. If they are already correctly installed, and I
doubt that, it does no harm to reinstall them. After installing them, the
proper Intel video adapter drivers should do the job as you want them to.
--
freddy

"rh0000" wrote:

> Dear Freddy, Many thanks for your continued interest in my problem. In the
> past few minutes, I had the bright (?) idea of uninstalling my video driver
> in an attempt to get my laptop to revert to the VGA driver. This has sort of
> worked, in that I now have a video driver VgaSave, a non plug and play driver
> according to Device Manager. This enables me to run programs in full screen
> mode, and the rest of the programs are fine as well. However, it has also
> meant that I no longer have a separate listing (apart from under
> non-plug-and-play) for the video driver. In particular, there is nothing I
> can roll back. However, I do recall that previously, when I was trying to
> locate the disappeared VGA driver, I found the menu to which you refer, but
> the "roll back" box was unavailable. So the situation is: I'm happy for the
> moment in that I can run programs full screen; I'm a little concerned that I
> may have stored up problems for the future; and for the moment I can't follow
> your suggestions in any case. Things will probably have to stay that way for
> the time being, though I expect they may change after my next Windows update,
> when I may approach you once more! Anyway, thanks again.
>

> "freddy" wrote:
>
> > rh0000,
> >
> > OK, in Device Manager under Properties for the VGA adapter and under the
> > Drivers tab, click on Roll Back Driver.
> > --
> > freddy
> >

> > "rh0000" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for replying promptly, but your reply doesn't really answer my
> > > question. I don't want to install the "proper" driver for my laptop. I
> > > already have the proper driver, one for the Intel 945 chipset on my laptop,
> > > but because it won't operate in full screen mode it won't let me do what I
> > > want. So I want to swap this driver for a VGA driver. I have done this
> > > successfully until a few days ago but am no longer able to do so. A number of
> > > sources say that Vista includes (somewhere) a VGA driver, and as I say I have
> > > previously managed to install this and it worked fine, allowing me to run
> > > programs in full screen mode. But now I find that this VGA driver is no
> > > longer available to me, though it once was, and I want to know how I can
> > > access it again. My manufacturer's website (Toshiba) will only provide
> > > drivers for the Intel 945 chipset, not the VGA driver which I am told exists
> > > in Vista, so my problem remains.

rh0000

RE: Missing VGA driver
Thanks again. Since your previous reply I have rebooted, and new Intel
drivers were installed more or less automatically. But I have now lost, once
again, the VGA adapter which I had managed to install. I found that "roll
back" driver was not available. I may try to reinstall motherboard chipset
drivers from the Toshiba website, though I don't find the Toshiba website
helpful, not least because it doesn't list my precise laptop model (even
though it is brand new). But thanks again.

"freddy" wrote:

> rh0000,
>
> I'm beginning to get some insight as to the problem from all your comments.
> I'll wager some funds that your motherboard chipset drivers didn't install or
> didn't install fully. That's why the drivers that should work properly do
> not do so. You should install the motherboard chipset drivers. You should
> be able to find them at the website of the manufacturer of your laptop. Be
> sure to get the right ones. If they are already correctly installed, and I
> doubt that, it does no harm to reinstall them. After installing them, the
> proper Intel video adapter drivers should do the job as you want them to.
> --
> freddy
>

> "rh0000" wrote:
>
> > Dear Freddy, Many thanks for your continued interest in my problem. In the
> > past few minutes, I had the bright (?) idea of uninstalling my video driver
> > in an attempt to get my laptop to revert to the VGA driver. This has sort of
> > worked, in that I now have a video driver VgaSave, a non plug and play driver
> > according to Device Manager. This enables me to run programs in full screen
> > mode, and the rest of the programs are fine as well. However, it has also
> > meant that I no longer have a separate listing (apart from under
> > non-plug-and-play) for the video driver. In particular, there is nothing I
> > can roll back. However, I do recall that previously, when I was trying to
> > locate the disappeared VGA driver, I found the menu to which you refer, but
> > the "roll back" box was unavailable. So the situation is: I'm happy for the
> > moment in that I can run programs full screen; I'm a little concerned that I
> > may have stored up problems for the future; and for the moment I can't follow
> > your suggestions in any case. Things will probably have to stay that way for
> > the time being, though I expect they may change after my next Windows update,
> > when I may approach you once more! Anyway, thanks again.
> >

> > "freddy" wrote:
> >
> > > rh0000,
> > >
> > > OK, in Device Manager under Properties for the VGA adapter and under the
> > > Drivers tab, click on Roll Back Driver.
> > > --
> > > freddy

JW

Re: Missing VGA driver
I have an HP laptop with the 945 chipset and have no problems I am using
Intel Vista drivers dated 3/20/2007 (version 7.14.10.1244) which I got from
the HP Website when I installed Vista so if your 945 drivers are older then
mine I suggest you check again with the Toshiba Website for an updated set.
"rh0000" <rh0000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear Freddy, Many thanks for your continued interest in my problem. In the
> past few minutes, I had the bright (?) idea of uninstalling my video
> driver
> in an attempt to get my laptop to revert to the VGA driver. This has sort
> of
> worked, in that I now have a video driver VgaSave, a non plug and play
> driver
> according to Device Manager. This enables me to run programs in full
> screen
> mode, and the rest of the programs are fine as well. However, it has also
> meant that I no longer have a separate listing (apart from under
> non-plug-and-play) for the video driver. In particular, there is nothing I
> can roll back. However, I do recall that previously, when I was trying to
> locate the disappeared VGA driver, I found the menu to which you refer,
> but
> the "roll back" box was unavailable. So the situation is: I'm happy for
> the
> moment in that I can run programs full screen; I'm a little concerned that
> may have stored up problems for the future; and for the moment I can't
> follow
> your suggestions in any case. Things will probably have to stay that way
> for
> the time being, though I expect they may change after my next Windows
> update,
> when I may approach you once more! Anyway, thanks again.
>

> "freddy" wrote:
>
>> rh0000,
>>
>> OK, in Device Manager under Properties for the VGA adapter and under the
>> Drivers tab, click on Roll Back Driver.
>> --
>> freddy
>>

>> "rh0000" wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks for replying promptly, but your reply doesn't really answer my
>> > question. I don't want to install the "proper" driver for my laptop. I
>> > already have the proper driver, one for the Intel 945 chipset on my
>> > laptop,
>> > but because it won't operate in full screen mode it won't let me do
>> > what I
>> > want. So I want to swap this driver for a VGA driver. I have done this
>> > successfully until a few days ago but am no longer able to do so. A
>> > number of
>> > sources say that Vista includes (somewhere) a VGA driver, and as I say
>> > I have
>> > previously managed to install this and it worked fine, allowing me to
>> > run
>> > programs in full screen mode. But now I find that this VGA driver is no
>> > longer available to me, though it once was, and I want to know how I
>> > can
>> > access it again. My manufacturer's website (Toshiba) will only provide
>> > drivers for the Intel 945 chipset, not the VGA driver which I am told
>> > exists
>> > in Vista, so my problem remains.

rh0000

Re: Missing VGA driver
Dear JW, Thanks for giving me a reply. You say you have "no problems" with
your Vista drivers and your 945 chipset. Do you mean you can run programs in
"full screen" mode? If so, I will certainly download new drivers. But if you
can't run programs in "full screen" mode, then my problem remains. I, too,
have no problems with the 945 chipset Vista drivers, apart from the fact
(which is important to me) that they won't let me run some of my older
DOS-based software which requires "full screen" mode.

"JW" wrote:

> I have an HP laptop with the 945 chipset and have no problems I am using
> Intel Vista drivers dated 3/20/2007 (version 7.14.10.1244) which I got from
> the HP Website when I installed Vista so if your 945 drivers are older then
> mine I suggest you check again with the Toshiba Website for an updated set.
> "rh0000" <rh0000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear Freddy, Many thanks for your continued interest in my problem. In the
> > past few minutes, I had the bright (?) idea of uninstalling my video
> > driver
> > in an attempt to get my laptop to revert to the VGA driver. This has sort
> > of
> > worked, in that I now have a video driver VgaSave, a non plug and play
> > driver
> > according to Device Manager. This enables me to run programs in full
> > screen
> > mode, and the rest of the programs are fine as well. However, it has also
> > meant that I no longer have a separate listing (apart from under
> > non-plug-and-play) for the video driver. In particular, there is nothing I
> > can roll back. However, I do recall that previously, when I was trying to
> > locate the disappeared VGA driver, I found the menu to which you refer,
> > but
> > the "roll back" box was unavailable. So the situation is: I'm happy for
> > the
> > moment in that I can run programs full screen; I'm a little concerned that
> > may have stored up problems for the future; and for the moment I can't
> > follow
> > your suggestions in any case. Things will probably have to stay that way
> > for
> > the time being, though I expect they may change after my next Windows
> > update,
> > when I may approach you once more! Anyway, thanks again.
> >

> > "freddy" wrote:
> >
> >> rh0000,
> >>
> >> OK, in Device Manager under Properties for the VGA adapter and under the
> >> Drivers tab, click on Roll Back Driver.
> >> --
> >> freddy

JW

Re: Missing VGA driver
Full screen mode and everything else works just fine using the driver
release I have.
I think the problem is the lack of full support of DOS programs in Vista.