Heres a cracker of a problem - Nvidia Drivers

DABhand

Heres a cracker of a problem - Nvidia Drivers
Lets see how many others have this problem.

Yesterday I noticed my gaming was slow, and today I get fed up and checked
the device manager and lo and behold Vista was using the WDM drivers.

I thought hmmmm how strange is that.

So went to install the Nvidia drivers (158.24) and during install it hits me
with

"Age of Empires 2 update is not compatible for this system"

A few naughty words crossed my mind, so I tried with an older driver, same
thing. It only worked with Nvidia's own RTM driver from way back in January,
and thats just as bad as the WDM driver from MS.

So has anyone else came across this problem and managed to fix it?

And would hope at least MS techs read these also to throw out a solution
because as of now I cant do anything in terms of gaming. Very very bad so far
my Vista experience.
Cal Bear '66

Re: Heres a cracker of a problem - Nvidia Drivers
I have read in here that the International version download has this problem,
but that the US version download does not.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"DABhand" <DABhand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news27FC112-116D-4290-AAD5-1F346C32EA74@microsoft.com...
> Lets see how many others have this problem.
>
> Yesterday I noticed my gaming was slow, and today I get fed up and checked
> the device manager and lo and behold Vista was using the WDM drivers.
>
> I thought hmmmm how strange is that.
>
> So went to install the Nvidia drivers (158.24) and during install it hits me
> with
>
> "Age of Empires 2 update is not compatible for this system"
>
> A few naughty words crossed my mind, so I tried with an older driver, same
> thing. It only worked with Nvidia's own RTM driver from way back in January,
> and thats just as bad as the WDM driver from MS.
>
> So has anyone else came across this problem and managed to fix it?
>
> And would hope at least MS techs read these also to throw out a solution
> because as of now I cant do anything in terms of gaming. Very very bad so far
> my Vista experience.

DABhand

Re: Heres a cracker of a problem - Nvidia Drivers
Good idea Cal, I'll give it a go, usually I do use the US drivers, but I went
for the UK for a change.

Extremely bad that they managed to confuse Nvidia's UK drivers with Age of
Empires 2 update.

I'll post back with the results.

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> I have read in here that the International version download has this problem,
> but that the US version download does not.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "DABhand" <DABhand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news27FC112-116D-4290-AAD5-1F346C32EA74@microsoft.com...
> > Lets see how many others have this problem.
> >
> > Yesterday I noticed my gaming was slow, and today I get fed up and checked
> > the device manager and lo and behold Vista was using the WDM drivers.
> >
> > I thought hmmmm how strange is that.
> >
> > So went to install the Nvidia drivers (158.24) and during install it hits me
> > with
> >
> > "Age of Empires 2 update is not compatible for this system"
> >
> > A few naughty words crossed my mind, so I tried with an older driver, same
> > thing. It only worked with Nvidia's own RTM driver from way back in January,
> > and thats just as bad as the WDM driver from MS.
> >
> > So has anyone else came across this problem and managed to fix it?
> >
> > And would hope at least MS techs read these also to throw out a solution
> > because as of now I cant do anything in terms of gaming. Very very bad so far
> > my Vista experience.

DABhand

Re: Heres a cracker of a problem - Nvidia Drivers
Thanks Cal, Mission Successful

Still very strange that after a while or from an update Vista chose itself
to remove the driver and place its WDM in its place.

But indeed the US works fine. Thanks again.
Cal Bear '66

Re: Heres a cracker of a problem - Nvidia Drivers
The last nVidia drivers had it the opposite, the US driver had problems, the
International drivers were OK.

--

> Good idea Cal, I'll give it a go, usually I do use the US drivers, but I went
> for the UK for a change.
>
> Extremely bad that they managed to confuse Nvidia's UK drivers with Age of
> Empires 2 update.
>
> I'll post back with the results.
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> I have read in here that the International version download has this problem,
>> but that the US version download does not.
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "DABhand" <DABhand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news27FC112-116D-4290-AAD5-1F346C32EA74@microsoft.com...
>> > Lets see how many others have this problem.
>> >
>> > Yesterday I noticed my gaming was slow, and today I get fed up and checked
>> > the device manager and lo and behold Vista was using the WDM drivers.
>> >
>> > I thought hmmmm how strange is that.
>> >
>> > So went to install the Nvidia drivers (158.24) and during install it hits
>> > me
>> > with
>> >
>> > "Age of Empires 2 update is not compatible for this system"
>> >
>> > A few naughty words crossed my mind, so I tried with an older driver, same
>> > thing. It only worked with Nvidia's own RTM driver from way back in
>> > January,
>> > and thats just as bad as the WDM driver from MS.
>> >
>> > So has anyone else came across this problem and managed to fix it?
>> >
>> > And would hope at least MS techs read these also to throw out a solution
>> > because as of now I cant do anything in terms of gaming. Very very bad so
>> > far
>> > my Vista experience.

Richard Urban

Re: Heres a cracker of a problem - Nvidia Drivers
Strange that you would think that it is automatically Microsoft's fault when
Nvidia drivers throw up crap!

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"DABhand" <DABhand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good idea Cal, I'll give it a go, usually I do use the US drivers, but I
> went
> for the UK for a change.
>
> Extremely bad that they managed to confuse Nvidia's UK drivers with Age of
> Empires 2 update.
>
> I'll post back with the results.
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> I have read in here that the International version download has this
>> problem,
>> but that the US version download does not.
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "DABhand" <DABhand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news27FC112-116D-4290-AAD5-1F346C32EA74@microsoft.com...
>> > Lets see how many others have this problem.
>> >
>> > Yesterday I noticed my gaming was slow, and today I get fed up and
>> > checked
>> > the device manager and lo and behold Vista was using the WDM drivers.
>> >
>> > I thought hmmmm how strange is that.
>> >
>> > So went to install the Nvidia drivers (158.24) and during install it
>> > hits me
>> > with
>> >
>> > "Age of Empires 2 update is not compatible for this system"
>> >
>> > A few naughty words crossed my mind, so I tried with an older driver,
>> > same
>> > thing. It only worked with Nvidia's own RTM driver from way back in
>> > January,
>> > and thats just as bad as the WDM driver from MS.
>> >
>> > So has anyone else came across this problem and managed to fix it?
>> >
>> > And would hope at least MS techs read these also to throw out a
>> > solution
>> > because as of now I cant do anything in terms of gaming. Very very bad
>> > so far
>> > my Vista experience.

Cal Bear '66

Re: Heres a cracker of a problem - Nvidia Drivers
You're welcome.

--

> Thanks Cal, Mission Successful
>
> Still very strange that after a while or from an update Vista chose itself
> to remove the driver and place its WDM in its place.
>
> But indeed the US works fine. Thanks again.

Carlos

Re: Heres a cracker of a problem - Nvidia Drivers
Cal:
What would last be for you?
158.24 or 158.45.
I am currently running 158.18's with my 8600GTS because the 158.24's int'l
brought me BSOD.
What would you recommend?
158.24 US
158.45 US
158.45 Intl
It is Sunday and I have time to spare.
Sorta boring down here (54┬░ S latitude, 68┬░ W longitude)
Carlos

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> The last nVidia drivers had it the opposite, the US driver had problems, the
> International drivers were OK.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "DABhand" <DABhand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Good idea Cal, I'll give it a go, usually I do use the US drivers, but I went
> > for the UK for a change.
> >
> > Extremely bad that they managed to confuse Nvidia's UK drivers with Age of
> > Empires 2 update.
> >
> > I'll post back with the results.
> >
> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> I have read in here that the International version download has this problem,
> >> but that the US version download does not.
> >>
> >> --
> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!
> >>

> >> "DABhand" <DABhand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news27FC112-116D-4290-AAD5-1F346C32EA74@microsoft.com...

Cal Bear '66

Re: Heres a cracker of a problem - Nvidia Drivers
158.45 is beta (proceed at your own risk -- I haven't seen any reports here of
anyone's experience with them, US or International.)

I did read of one BSOD with the 158.24 drivers (I don't remember which card or
download he was using though.)

I have had no problems with 158.24 US download (7600GS).

I, personally, have given up on the betas since they are coming out so
frequently. I now just wait for the WHQL drivers.

The release notes might help you decide:

Release Highlights (158.45):

Improved performance for DirectX 10 version of Company of Heroes
Improved 3D performance for single GPU and NVIDIA SLI
Numerous game and application compatibility fixes
This driver supports the following 3D features:
Single GPU support
DirectX 9 support for GeForce 8 series GPUs
DirectX 10 support for GeForce 8 series GPUs
OpenGL support for GeForce 8 series GPUs
NVIDIA SLI support
DirectX 9 support for GeForce 8 series GPUs
DirectX 10 support for GeForce 8 series GPUs
OpenGL support for GeForce 8 series GPUs

If you want WHQL, then the 158.24 US drivers are worth a try. If you don't mind
beta, I really know nothing about them or anything about possible differences
between the US and the International versions.

Autumn for you down there, yes? Lucky you. Summer is just begining here. I
hate these long, hot, humid and dirty air summers here in NYC.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Carlos" <Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Cal:
> What would last be for you?
> 158.24 or 158.45.
> I am currently running 158.18's with my 8600GTS because the 158.24's int'l
> brought me BSOD.
> What would you recommend?
> 158.24 US
> 158.45 US
> 158.45 Intl
> It is Sunday and I have time to spare.
> Sorta boring down here (54░ S latitude, 68░ W longitude)
> Carlos
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> The last nVidia drivers had it the opposite, the US driver had problems, the
>> International drivers were OK.
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "DABhand" <DABhand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Good idea Cal, I'll give it a go, usually I do use the US drivers, but I
>> > went
>> > for the UK for a change.
>> >
>> > Extremely bad that they managed to confuse Nvidia's UK drivers with Age of
>> > Empires 2 update.
>> >
>> > I'll post back with the results.

Carlos

Re: Heres a cracker of a problem - Nvidia Drivers
Thanks for your comments, Cal!
Carlos