Problem with a Maxtor one touch III (external hard drive)

Moomie

Problem with a Maxtor one touch III (external hard drive)
I recently bought myself a maxtor on touch III, and installed the software
that comes on the hard drive as I wanted to use it's sync feature.

It installs fine, but once I've unplugged the hard drive and put it back in
at a later time the maxtor software doesn't recognise it being plugged in.
I'm pressing the button on the front of it but it does nothing.

It's still recognised as a disk drive when I plug it in, so it is useable,
but I wanted to be able to use the features it comes with.

So I ended up system restoring to when I originally installed it, and
installing it again, worked fine, but then when I tried connecting it again
the same happened.

I'm plugging it in with a usb cable, and running on vista ultimate 32 bit
edition.

Was just wondering if anyone has any advice on what may be causing the
problem or if theres any way of getting it to work properly yet.

If you need any other information to be able to figure anything else out
just ask.

Catherine.
Richard Urban

Re: Problem with a Maxtor one touch III (external hard drive)
Do not some of the Maxtor drives have a provision for plugging in an
external power supply? Does your drive have such a provision?

It could be that your M/B USB ports can not supply sufficient power to the
drive for correct operation. You may want to get hold of the external power
supply and try using the drive when it is running on external power.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Moomie

Re: Problem with a Maxtor one touch III (external hard drive)
The usb cable for the hard drive has an extra end for you to plug in if it's
not getting enough power (tried with both plugged in before but had no
change), but I wouldn't think that's the issue, the light on the front of it
lights up, meaning it has power, plus also the fact I can still use it and
transfer items to the hard drive, it's the software that seems to be having
issues I'd think...maybe?.

Catherine.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Do not some of the Maxtor drives have a provision for plugging in an
> external power supply? Does your drive have such a provision?
>
> It could be that your M/B USB ports can not supply sufficient power to the
> drive for correct operation. You may want to get hold of the external power
> supply and try using the drive when it is running on external power.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Velle

Re: Problem with a Maxtor one touch III (external hard drive)
I uninstalled my software and downloaded this from maxtor's homepage:
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...f5ee0a 0aRCRD
and followed the instructions on the page. After the restart install maxtor
backup and encryption again. It has worked for me after that
Hope it works