Display Drivers

S Murder

Display Drivers
In Device Manager, Windows has an error since there's no driver for my
monitor. I downloaded and tried to install the driver (an .inf file) by going
to Update Driver, but it won't work, and when I go to "choose from a list of
drivers" nothing is displayed.

The same thing happens for my DVD/CD Reader/Writer.
freddy

RE: Display Drivers
S Murder,

Usually, monitors don't need special drivers. Windows supplies the driver
monitor.sys in most cases. In Device Manager, direct the search for a driver
to C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\monitor.sys and see whether that works. If
not, describe what type of monitor you have.

Regarding your CD/DVD drive, describe that as well, name, model, etc. Also,
what is the exact message in Device Manager regarding the drive?
--
freddy

"S Murder" wrote:

> In Device Manager, Windows has an error since there's no driver for my
> monitor. I downloaded and tried to install the driver (an .inf file) by going
> to Update Driver, but it won't work, and when I go to "choose from a list of
> drivers" nothing is displayed.
>
> The same thing happens for my DVD/CD Reader/Writer.

S Murder

RE: Display Drivers
I solved the monitor problem by deleting the infcache file. The DVD problem
persists.

It's a Samsung DVD/CD Reader/Writer:
It shows up as a TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S183L ATA Device. It has the following
device status: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The
driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and
to see if there is a solution available.".
Checking for a solution did nothing at all, trying to install a generic
Windows driver fails.

"freddy" wrote:

> S Murder,
>
> Usually, monitors don't need special drivers. Windows supplies the driver
> monitor.sys in most cases. In Device Manager, direct the search for a driver
> to C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\monitor.sys and see whether that works. If
> not, describe what type of monitor you have.
>
> Regarding your CD/DVD drive, describe that as well, name, model, etc. Also,
> what is the exact message in Device Manager regarding the drive?
> --
> freddy
>

> "S Murder" wrote:
>
> > In Device Manager, Windows has an error since there's no driver for my
> > monitor. I downloaded and tried to install the driver (an .inf file) by going
> > to Update Driver, but it won't work, and when I go to "choose from a list of
> > drivers" nothing is displayed.
> >
> > The same thing happens for my DVD/CD Reader/Writer.

Carlos

RE: Display Drivers
Freddy:
I've seen you participating in this forum quite frequently and giving very
sound advices.
I this case I would slightly disagree about the "not-need" of special drivers.
Monitors need the installation of their manufacturer supplied "inf" file
which depicts all the features it has (scanning freqs, screen sizes, etc.) so
that the graphic card knows exactly its capabilities.
I always have my Windows (whatever version you chose) with the proper inf
for the monitor installed.
Inf is not a driver per se, just a bunch of text thingies that describe the
monitor.
Carlos

"freddy" wrote:

> S Murder,
>
> Usually, monitors don't need special drivers. Windows supplies the driver
> monitor.sys in most cases. In Device Manager, direct the search for a driver
> to C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\monitor.sys and see whether that works. If
> not, describe what type of monitor you have.
>
> Regarding your CD/DVD drive, describe that as well, name, model, etc. Also,
> what is the exact message in Device Manager regarding the drive?
> --
> freddy
>

> "S Murder" wrote:
>
> > In Device Manager, Windows has an error since there's no driver for my
> > monitor. I downloaded and tried to install the driver (an .inf file) by going
> > to Update Driver, but it won't work, and when I go to "choose from a list of
> > drivers" nothing is displayed.
> >
> > The same thing happens for my DVD/CD Reader/Writer.

freddy

RE: Display Drivers
Hi Carlos,

I agree, an inf file is needed for all hardware, in case anyone wants to know.
--
freddy

"Carlos" wrote:

> Freddy:
> I've seen you participating in this forum quite frequently and giving very
> sound advices.
> I this case I would slightly disagree about the "not-need" of special drivers.
> Monitors need the installation of their manufacturer supplied "inf" file
> which depicts all the features it has (scanning freqs, screen sizes, etc.) so
> that the graphic card knows exactly its capabilities.
> I always have my Windows (whatever version you chose) with the proper inf
> for the monitor installed.
> Inf is not a driver per se, just a bunch of text thingies that describe the
> monitor.
> Carlos
>
> "freddy" wrote:
>
> > S Murder,
> >
> > Usually, monitors don't need special drivers. Windows supplies the driver
> > monitor.sys in most cases. In Device Manager, direct the search for a driver
> > to C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\monitor.sys and see whether that works. If
> > not, describe what type of monitor you have.
> >
> > Regarding your CD/DVD drive, describe that as well, name, model, etc. Also,
> > what is the exact message in Device Manager regarding the drive?
> > --
> > freddy
> >

> > "S Murder" wrote:
> >
> > > In Device Manager, Windows has an error since there's no driver for my
> > > monitor. I downloaded and tried to install the driver (an .inf file) by going
> > > to Update Driver, but it won't work, and when I go to "choose from a list of
> > > drivers" nothing is displayed.
> > >
> > > The same thing happens for my DVD/CD Reader/Writer.

freddy

RE: Display Drivers
S Murder,

Here is a Microsoft KB article about removing upper and lower filters in
registry to correct problems, such as you likely have. Take a look:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/929461/en-us

Let us know whether this works for you.
--
freddy

"S Murder" wrote:

> I solved the monitor problem by deleting the infcache file. The DVD problem
> persists.
>
> It's a Samsung DVD/CD Reader/Writer:
> It shows up as a TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S183L ATA Device. It has the following
> device status: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The
> driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
>
> Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and
> to see if there is a solution available.".
> Checking for a solution did nothing at all, trying to install a generic
> Windows driver fails.
>
> "freddy" wrote:
>
> > S Murder,
> >
> > Usually, monitors don't need special drivers. Windows supplies the driver
> > monitor.sys in most cases. In Device Manager, direct the search for a driver
> > to C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\monitor.sys and see whether that works. If
> > not, describe what type of monitor you have.
> >
> > Regarding your CD/DVD drive, describe that as well, name, model, etc. Also,
> > what is the exact message in Device Manager regarding the drive?
> > --
> > freddy
> >

> > "S Murder" wrote:
> >
> > > In Device Manager, Windows has an error since there's no driver for my
> > > monitor. I downloaded and tried to install the driver (an .inf file) by going
> > > to Update Driver, but it won't work, and when I go to "choose from a list of
> > > drivers" nothing is displayed.
> > >
> > > The same thing happens for my DVD/CD Reader/Writer.

Cal Bear '66

Re: Display Drivers
NOT true, not at all true.
I have a Gateway widescreen LCD monitor. Gateway says that an inf file is not
provided and is not necessary. Under Device Manager my monitor is identified as
a Generic PnP Monitor, yet the nVidia graphics driver identifies my monitor by
the correct brand and exact model and automatically sets the native resolution
and refresh rate.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
> Hi Carlos,
>
> I agree, an inf file is needed for all hardware, in case anyone wants to know.
> --
> freddy
>

> "Carlos" wrote:
>
>> Freddy:
>> I've seen you participating in this forum quite frequently and giving very
>> sound advices.
>> I this case I would slightly disagree about the "not-need" of special
>> drivers.
>> Monitors need the installation of their manufacturer supplied "inf" file
>> which depicts all the features it has (scanning freqs, screen sizes, etc.) so
>> that the graphic card knows exactly its capabilities.
>> I always have my Windows (whatever version you chose) with the proper inf
>> for the monitor installed.
>> Inf is not a driver per se, just a bunch of text thingies that describe the
>> monitor.
>> Carlos
>>
>> "freddy" wrote:
>>
>> > S Murder,
>> >
>> > Usually, monitors don't need special drivers. Windows supplies the driver
>> > monitor.sys in most cases. In Device Manager, direct the search for a
>> > driver
>> > to C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\monitor.sys and see whether that works. If
>> > not, describe what type of monitor you have.
>> >
>> > Regarding your CD/DVD drive, describe that as well, name, model, etc.
>> > Also,
>> > what is the exact message in Device Manager regarding the drive?
>> > --
>> > freddy

freddy

Re: Display Drivers
"Cal Bear '66"

Good to know. There must be the equivalent of an .inf somewhere in the
hardware then, not? Curious minds want to know.
--
freddy

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> NOT true, not at all true.
> I have a Gateway widescreen LCD monitor. Gateway says that an inf file is not
> provided and is not necessary. Under Device Manager my monitor is identified as
> a Generic PnP Monitor, yet the nVidia graphics driver identifies my monitor by
> the correct brand and exact model and automatically sets the native resolution
> and refresh rate.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
> > Hi Carlos,
> >
> > I agree, an inf file is needed for all hardware, in case anyone wants to know.
> > --
> > freddy
> >

> > "Carlos" wrote:
> >
> >> Freddy:
> >> I've seen you participating in this forum quite frequently and giving very
> >> sound advices.
> >> I this case I would slightly disagree about the "not-need" of special
> >> drivers.
> >> Monitors need the installation of their manufacturer supplied "inf" file
> >> which depicts all the features it has (scanning freqs, screen sizes, etc.) so
> >> that the graphic card knows exactly its capabilities.
> >> I always have my Windows (whatever version you chose) with the proper inf
> >> for the monitor installed.
> >> Inf is not a driver per se, just a bunch of text thingies that describe the
> >> monitor.
> >> Carlos

Cal Bear '66

Re: Display Drivers
Don't know. But if that were true, then it seems that Device Manager could
identify the brand and model number.

--

> "Cal Bear '66"
>
> Good to know. There must be the equivalent of an .inf somewhere in the
> hardware then, not? Curious minds want to know.
> --
> freddy
>

> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> NOT true, not at all true.
>> I have a Gateway widescreen LCD monitor. Gateway says that an inf file is
>> not
>> provided and is not necessary. Under Device Manager my monitor is identified
>> as
>> a Generic PnP Monitor, yet the nVidia graphics driver identifies my monitor
>> by
>> the correct brand and exact model and automatically sets the native
>> resolution
>> and refresh rate.
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
>> > Hi Carlos,
>> >
>> > I agree, an inf file is needed for all hardware, in case anyone wants to
>> > know.
>> > --
>> > freddy

Rob Norton

Re: Display Drivers
Cal Bear '66 wrote:
> NOT true, not at all true.
> I have a Gateway widescreen LCD monitor. Gateway says that an inf file is not
> provided and is not necessary. Under Device Manager my monitor is identified as
> a Generic PnP Monitor, yet the nVidia graphics driver identifies my monitor by
> the correct brand and exact model and automatically sets the native resolution
> and refresh rate.

Here's what you need to do. In device manager select "update driver
software". Then "browse my computer for driver software". Then "Let me
pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". You'll see the
model shown as "Generic PnP Monitor". Now, uncheck the "show
compatible hardware" box and a full list of monitors will show
(including Gateway's). I know this is illogical, but it works!