Usb Hub's

Bill Davis Jr

Usb Hub's
I have an Asus P5B-Deluxe running Vista Ulitmate 32bit. I am running
out of Usb ports so I went to my local retail shop and purchased a
powered 2.0 Usb Hub.

I plug the usb hub into a port that is directly on the motherboard.
Vista says the device is installed correctly. I plug my Sandisk memory
disk reader as per instruction. Samething Vista says it has been
installed correctly. So I instered a memory disk into one of the
slots. The reader acts as it is trying to read the disk but fails.

I then unplug the reader from the hub and unplug the hub from the usb
slot on the motherboard. I then plug the memory card directly into the
same usb port on the motherboard. And this time it works.

So my problem is anything plugged into the hub does not work only if
it is plugged directly to the motherboard. Has anyone seen anything
like this with Vista?
freddy

RE: Usb Hub's
Bill,

Here is a troubleshooting guide:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...3c8a81033.mspx

Every little bit can help.
--
freddy

"Bill Davis Jr" wrote:

> I have an Asus P5B-Deluxe running Vista Ulitmate 32bit. I am running
> out of Usb ports so I went to my local retail shop and purchased a
> powered 2.0 Usb Hub.
>
> I plug the usb hub into a port that is directly on the motherboard.
> Vista says the device is installed correctly. I plug my Sandisk memory
> disk reader as per instruction. Samething Vista says it has been
> installed correctly. So I instered a memory disk into one of the
> slots. The reader acts as it is trying to read the disk but fails.
>
> I then unplug the reader from the hub and unplug the hub from the usb
> slot on the motherboard. I then plug the memory card directly into the
> same usb port on the motherboard. And this time it works.
>
> So my problem is anything plugged into the hub does not work only if
> it is plugged directly to the motherboard. Has anyone seen anything
> like this with Vista?

Don

Re: Usb Hub's
Bill Davis Jr wrote:
> So my problem is anything plugged into the hub does not work only if
> it is plugged directly to the motherboard. Has anyone seen anything
> like this with Vista?

I've seen other posters say that some hubs just don't work right
with Vista, so the simplest trick would be to try a different hub.