SanDisk ImageMate 5 in 1 reader can't find drivers

Michael Ray Brown

SanDisk ImageMate 5 in 1 reader can't find drivers
When I plug in my ImageMate 5 in 1 reader, Vista reports it can't find the
drivers. It also mistakenly identifies it as the ImageMate 9 in 1 reader.
I've gone to the SanDisk Web site, and there's nothing about any driver
updates for Vista. Technical support says I need to contact Microsoft for a
Vista driver, but I have a feeling Microsoft will tell me to contact
SanDisk. This card reader worked fine in XP, with the native XP drivers.
This reader is only 6 months old, but unless I can find the drivers, I'll
have to buy a different one... or revert back to XP. Has anyone else
encountered this problem, and found a solution?

--
Michael

freddy

RE: SanDisk ImageMate 5 in 1 reader can't find drivers
Michael,

If Vista misidentifies the reader, than that could be the problem, but I
have no way of knowing for sure. I'll look around the Internet for a
possible answer, but I don't promise anything. I'll post an answer if I find
something. If you don't get an answer here, you can try google to see what
you get. anyone else?
--
freddy

"Michael Ray Brown" wrote:

> When I plug in my ImageMate 5 in 1 reader, Vista reports it can't find the
> drivers. It also mistakenly identifies it as the ImageMate 9 in 1 reader.
> I've gone to the SanDisk Web site, and there's nothing about any driver
> updates for Vista. Technical support says I need to contact Microsoft for a
> Vista driver, but I have a feeling Microsoft will tell me to contact
> SanDisk. This card reader worked fine in XP, with the native XP drivers.
> This reader is only 6 months old, but unless I can find the drivers, I'll
> have to buy a different one... or revert back to XP. Has anyone else
> encountered this problem, and found a solution?
>
> --
> Michael

freddy

RE: SanDisk ImageMate 5 in 1 reader can't find drivers
Michael,

I checked around the Internet, but found nothing specific to your situation.
I did find a post that talked about a card reader that's compatible with
Vista, here:

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/dev...E2%80%A6bingo/

If all else fails, try a different reader. That's all I have for now.
Anyone else?
--
freddy

"Michael Ray Brown" wrote:

> When I plug in my ImageMate 5 in 1 reader, Vista reports it can't find the
> drivers. It also mistakenly identifies it as the ImageMate 9 in 1 reader.
> I've gone to the SanDisk Web site, and there's nothing about any driver
> updates for Vista. Technical support says I need to contact Microsoft for a
> Vista driver, but I have a feeling Microsoft will tell me to contact
> SanDisk. This card reader worked fine in XP, with the native XP drivers.
> This reader is only 6 months old, but unless I can find the drivers, I'll
> have to buy a different one... or revert back to XP. Has anyone else
> encountered this problem, and found a solution?
>
> --
> Michael

freddy

RE: SanDisk ImageMate 5 in 1 reader can't find drivers
Michael,

I found the following site while looking for something else. Focus on the
comment about a free utility called USBDeview. Could that utility be helpful:

http://chris.pirillo.com/media/2007/05/23/usb-problems/

Trying, trying, and trying
--
freddy

"Michael Ray Brown" wrote:

> When I plug in my ImageMate 5 in 1 reader, Vista reports it can't find the
> drivers. It also mistakenly identifies it as the ImageMate 9 in 1 reader.
> I've gone to the SanDisk Web site, and there's nothing about any driver
> updates for Vista. Technical support says I need to contact Microsoft for a
> Vista driver, but I have a feeling Microsoft will tell me to contact
> SanDisk. This card reader worked fine in XP, with the native XP drivers.
> This reader is only 6 months old, but unless I can find the drivers, I'll
> have to buy a different one... or revert back to XP. Has anyone else
> encountered this problem, and found a solution?
>
> --
> Michael

freddy

RE: SanDisk ImageMate 5 in 1 reader can't find drivers
Michael,

A Microsoft troubleshooting guide:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...3c8a81033.mspx

I stop for now.
--
freddy

"Michael Ray Brown" wrote:

> When I plug in my ImageMate 5 in 1 reader, Vista reports it can't find the
> drivers. It also mistakenly identifies it as the ImageMate 9 in 1 reader.
> I've gone to the SanDisk Web site, and there's nothing about any driver
> updates for Vista. Technical support says I need to contact Microsoft for a
> Vista driver, but I have a feeling Microsoft will tell me to contact
> SanDisk. This card reader worked fine in XP, with the native XP drivers.
> This reader is only 6 months old, but unless I can find the drivers, I'll
> have to buy a different one... or revert back to XP. Has anyone else
> encountered this problem, and found a solution?
>
> --
> Michael

Michael Ray Brown

Re: SanDisk ImageMate 5 in 1 reader can't find drivers
Thanks for all your suggestions. I've tried every one of them, and still no
joy.

I have a dual-boot system with XP on another partition, and the card reader
works fine there. It still mis-identifies it as a 9-in-one reader, but it
works. I've searched various sites like Buy.com, NewEgg.com, and
CircuitCity.com, but have yet to find an SD reader that's advertised to work
with Vista.

I can always boot into XP to transfer pix from my SD card, but that's a
hassle. And I have to remember to unplug the reader before booting back to
Vista.

--
Michael

"freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
> Michael,
>
> A Microsoft troubleshooting guide:
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...3c8a81033.mspx
>
> I stop for now.
> --
> freddy
>

> "Michael Ray Brown" wrote:
>
>> When I plug in my ImageMate 5 in 1 reader, Vista reports it can't find
>> the
>> drivers. It also mistakenly identifies it as the ImageMate 9 in 1
>> reader.
>> I've gone to the SanDisk Web site, and there's nothing about any driver
>> updates for Vista. Technical support says I need to contact Microsoft
>> for a
>> Vista driver, but I have a feeling Microsoft will tell me to contact
>> SanDisk. This card reader worked fine in XP, with the native XP drivers.
>> This reader is only 6 months old, but unless I can find the drivers, I'll
>> have to buy a different one... or revert back to XP. Has anyone else
>> encountered this problem, and found a solution?
>>
>> --
>> Michael

freddy

Re: SanDisk ImageMate 5 in 1 reader can't find drivers
Michael,

My second post above references a reader advertised to work in Vista, so now
you've seen one.
--
freddy

"Michael Ray Brown" wrote:

> Thanks for all your suggestions. I've tried every one of them, and still no
> joy.
>
> I have a dual-boot system with XP on another partition, and the card reader
> works fine there. It still mis-identifies it as a 9-in-one reader, but it
> works. I've searched various sites like Buy.com, NewEgg.com, and
> CircuitCity.com, but have yet to find an SD reader that's advertised to work
> with Vista.
>
> I can always boot into XP to transfer pix from my SD card, but that's a
> hassle. And I have to remember to unplug the reader before booting back to
> Vista.
>
> --
> Michael
>
> "freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
> > Michael,
> >
> > A Microsoft troubleshooting guide:
> >
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...3c8a81033.mspx
> >
> > I stop for now.
> > --
> > freddy
> >

> > "Michael Ray Brown" wrote:
> >
> >> When I plug in my ImageMate 5 in 1 reader, Vista reports it can't find
> >> the
> >> drivers. It also mistakenly identifies it as the ImageMate 9 in 1
> >> reader.
> >> I've gone to the SanDisk Web site, and there's nothing about any driver
> >> updates for Vista. Technical support says I need to contact Microsoft
> >> for a
> >> Vista driver, but I have a feeling Microsoft will tell me to contact
> >> SanDisk. This card reader worked fine in XP, with the native XP drivers.
> >> This reader is only 6 months old, but unless I can find the drivers, I'll
> >> have to buy a different one... or revert back to XP. Has anyone else
> >> encountered this problem, and found a solution?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Michael

Michael Ray Brown

Re: SanDisk ImageMate 5 in 1 reader can't find drivers
Freddy,

The Athena product is a Smart Card reader. I need a device that will read
Secure Digital media. Today I purchased a Dazzle memory card reader for SD
and MMC, but Vista failed to find the drivers for it, as well.

--

> Michael,
>
> My second post above references a reader advertised to work in Vista, so
> now
> you've seen one.
> --
> freddy
>

> "Michael Ray Brown" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for all your suggestions. I've tried every one of them, and still
>> no
>> joy.
>>
>> I have a dual-boot system with XP on another partition, and the card
>> reader
>> works fine there. It still mis-identifies it as a 9-in-one reader, but
>> it
>> works. I've searched various sites like Buy.com, NewEgg.com, and
>> CircuitCity.com, but have yet to find an SD reader that's advertised to
>> work
>> with Vista.
>>
>> I can always boot into XP to transfer pix from my SD card, but that's a
>> hassle. And I have to remember to unplug the reader before booting back
>> Vista.
>>
>> --
>> Michael
>>
>> "freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
>> > Michael,
>> >
>> > A Microsoft troubleshooting guide:
>> >
>> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...3c8a81033.mspx
>> >
>> > I stop for now.
>> > --
>> > freddy

Don

Michael Ray Brown wrote:
> Freddy,
>
> The Athena product is a Smart Card reader. I need a device that will
> read Secure Digital media. Today I purchased a Dazzle memory card
> reader for SD and MMC, but Vista failed to find the drivers for it, as
> well.

If the devices work properly in XP, I would use the XP Device Manager
to find out exactly what drivers XP is using. If XP is not using
any exotic drivers then Vista shouldn't need them either -- but it
would be nice to know for certain.

Michael Ray Brown

Re: SanDisk ImageMate 5 in 1 reader can't find drivers
Windows XP reports the card reader as a "Generic Storage Device." I tried
to update the driver in Vista by electing "Generic Storage Device" from a
list, but again it failed to recognize it. It's particularly frustrating
because the card reader is advertised on Amazon.com with users reporting
that it works fine in Vista.

--
Michael