Logitech Headset + Vista

tigereye

Logitech Headset + Vista
Okay, I have a Logitech headset / mic that I've been using for a while, and
it's been fine. Got a new notebook with Vista on it, and started using the
microphone with the notebook, and it worked fine.

However, every time I plugged in my mic, I'd get a pop-up box asking me what
the newly-plugged in device was [I could select "microphone" and a few other
choices"]. Eventually, I checked a box that said "do not ask me again," and
then selected microphone, hoping that I wouldn't have to answer the question
every time I wanted to use my mic.

Well, now Vista is not recognizing my mic when I plug it in. I've been to
the device manager, and I've done the whole "right-click sound, select
Recording Devices, et cetera" thing. The mic doesn't even show up in the
Recording Devices box.

Anyway, any ideas on how to fix this, or to somehow get Vista to recognize
the microphone when I plug it in? If there's a way to undo my "do not ask me
again" selection, that seems like it would solve the problem, because it
would start asking me to identify whatever I plug into my mic jack again, but
I do not know how to go about doing this.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can offer.
freddy

RE: Logitech Headset + Vista
tigereye,

Have you checked in Control Panel for the various sound options available
there?
--
freddy

"tigereye" wrote:

> Okay, I have a Logitech headset / mic that I've been using for a while, and
> it's been fine. Got a new notebook with Vista on it, and started using the
> microphone with the notebook, and it worked fine.
>
> However, every time I plugged in my mic, I'd get a pop-up box asking me what
> the newly-plugged in device was [I could select "microphone" and a few other
> choices"]. Eventually, I checked a box that said "do not ask me again," and
> then selected microphone, hoping that I wouldn't have to answer the question
> every time I wanted to use my mic.
>
> Well, now Vista is not recognizing my mic when I plug it in. I've been to
> the device manager, and I've done the whole "right-click sound, select
> Recording Devices, et cetera" thing. The mic doesn't even show up in the
> Recording Devices box.
>
> Anyway, any ideas on how to fix this, or to somehow get Vista to recognize
> the microphone when I plug it in? If there's a way to undo my "do not ask me
> again" selection, that seems like it would solve the problem, because it
> would start asking me to identify whatever I plug into my mic jack again, but
> I do not know how to go about doing this.
>
> Thanks in advance for whatever help you can offer.

tigereye

RE: Logitech Headset + Vista
Yes, I have hunted through all of the sound-related menus under the Control
Panel, and I have still not discovered a solution. Device Manager also
proves to be of no help - the mic I plug in is not listed in the Device
Manager.

"freddy" wrote:

> tigereye,
>
> Have you checked in Control Panel for the various sound options available
> there?
> --
> freddy
>

> "tigereye" wrote:
>
> > Okay, I have a Logitech headset / mic that I've been using for a while, and
> > it's been fine. Got a new notebook with Vista on it, and started using the
> > microphone with the notebook, and it worked fine.
> >
> > However, every time I plugged in my mic, I'd get a pop-up box asking me what
> > the newly-plugged in device was [I could select "microphone" and a few other
> > choices"]. Eventually, I checked a box that said "do not ask me again," and
> > then selected microphone, hoping that I wouldn't have to answer the question
> > every time I wanted to use my mic.
> >
> > Well, now Vista is not recognizing my mic when I plug it in. I've been to
> > the device manager, and I've done the whole "right-click sound, select
> > Recording Devices, et cetera" thing. The mic doesn't even show up in the
> > Recording Devices box.
> >
> > Anyway, any ideas on how to fix this, or to somehow get Vista to recognize
> > the microphone when I plug it in? If there's a way to undo my "do not ask me
> > again" selection, that seems like it would solve the problem, because it
> > would start asking me to identify whatever I plug into my mic jack again, but
> > I do not know how to go about doing this.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for whatever help you can offer.

freddy

RE: Logitech Headset + Vista
tigereye,

Device Manager would not include your mic. It lists the sound card, but not
what's connected to it for listening purposes, like a mik or speakers.

When you say you have looked in Control Panel for settings involving sound
and you found no solution. What solution are you looking for?

In Control Panel > Sound you should be able to select the mic in Manage
Audio Devices. Isn't that what you want?

You can read about how to deal with sound in Vista by reviewing topics
related to sound in Windows Help and Support. Click on Start and then on
Help and Support. Then, search on any words (such as sound options, etc.)
that will bring up various topics that you can review to see how sound and
related options work in Vista. These options can be tricky at first.
--
freddy