Core 2 CPU Upgrade: Pentium 4 to Core 2

David

Core 2 CPU Upgrade: Pentium 4 to Core 2
I have an ABIT IP-95 MB with 2GB of DDR2 667 MHz memory with an Intel
Pentium 4 2.66GHz 1 MB Cache CPU. I am thinking of buying a core 2 Intel
chip for an upgrade.

I can get a Intel E6600 (2.4GHZ and 4MB cache) for about $225
The 6320 at 1.8GHz and 4MB cache is $175.

In between these two there is the E6420 (2.13GHz and 4MB cache) at $215.

Has anyone upgraded their systems to one of the Intel Core 2 CPUs
mentioned from a Pentium 4 2.66GHz system? Any comments on the
performance improvements you found?

freddy

RE: Core 2 CPU Upgrade: Pentium 4 to Core 2
David,

I upgraded a Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz system with 1.5 GB of RAM. I upgraded to an
Asus P5B-VM motherboard and a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 MHz processor with 2 GB of
PC-6400 (DDR2-800) RAM. I'm pleased with the results, but to be honest, I
don't do the kind of computing that justifies that upgrade.

That is, I don't do video editing, photoshop, high end gaming using SLI,
etc. I could have stayed with my prior system and have been just as far
ahead. Even so, I can afford it, so why not. I like this stuff, so I did it
anyway. I do some gaming, but I'm stisfied with using just one decent video
card (ATI X1650 PCIe). It works well and supports Vista Aero. I like it.

Here is something to be aware of when using 4 GB of RAM. For
Vista to recognize and to utilize the full 4 GB, your BIOS must be able to
support the remapping feature. Not all BIOS does this. So beware. Here is
a Microsoft publication describing this requirement:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

The upshot is that when upgrading to 4 GB of RAM, make sure the motherboard
BIOS supports that full amount of RAM.
--
freddy

freddy wrote:
> David,
>
> I upgraded a Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz system with 1.5 GB of RAM. I upgraded to an
> Asus P5B-VM motherboard and a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 MHz processor with 2 GB of
> PC-6400 (DDR2-800) RAM. I'm pleased with the results, but to be honest, I
> don't do the kind of computing that justifies that upgrade.
>
> That is, I don't do video editing, photoshop, high end gaming using SLI,
> etc. I could have stayed with my prior system and have been just as far
> ahead. Even so, I can afford it, so why not. I like this stuff, so I did it
> anyway. I do some gaming, but I'm stisfied with using just one decent video
> card (ATI X1650 PCIe). It works well and supports Vista Aero. I like it.
>
> Here is something to be aware of when using 4 GB of RAM. For
> Vista to recognize and to utilize the full 4 GB, your BIOS must be able to
> support the remapping feature. Not all BIOS does this. So beware. Here is
> a Microsoft publication describing this requirement:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605
>
> The upshot is that when upgrading to 4 GB of RAM, make sure the motherboard
> BIOS supports that full amount of RAM.

Yep I am OK on the BIOS. I probably do not need it either but I may
upgrade anyway. I may wait till the end of summer. I would like to get a
24 inch monitor--maybe the Gateway 24Inch model. I probably would get
more enjoyment out of the monitor than the CPU. Time will tell,
freddy

Re: Core 2 CPU Upgrade: Pentium 4 to Core 2
David,

Just to make sure: The BIOS may indeed support 4 GB RAM, but it doesn't
support remapping feature. A fine point easily missed. Just make sure you
see the point.
--
freddy

"David" wrote:

> freddy wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > I upgraded a Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz system with 1.5 GB of RAM. I upgraded to an
> > Asus P5B-VM motherboard and a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 MHz processor with 2 GB of
> > PC-6400 (DDR2-800) RAM. I'm pleased with the results, but to be honest, I
> > don't do the kind of computing that justifies that upgrade.
> >
> > That is, I don't do video editing, photoshop, high end gaming using SLI,
> > etc. I could have stayed with my prior system and have been just as far
> > ahead. Even so, I can afford it, so why not. I like this stuff, so I did it
> > anyway. I do some gaming, but I'm stisfied with using just one decent video
> > card (ATI X1650 PCIe). It works well and supports Vista Aero. I like it.
> >
> > Here is something to be aware of when using 4 GB of RAM. For
> > Vista to recognize and to utilize the full 4 GB, your BIOS must be able to
> > support the remapping feature. Not all BIOS does this. So beware. Here is
> > a Microsoft publication describing this requirement:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605
> >
> > The upshot is that when upgrading to 4 GB of RAM, make sure the motherboard
> > BIOS supports that full amount of RAM.

> Yep I am OK on the BIOS. I probably do not need it either but I may
> upgrade anyway. I may wait till the end of summer. I would like to get a
> 24 inch monitor--maybe the Gateway 24Inch model. I probably would get
> more enjoyment out of the monitor than the CPU. Time will tell,

Dave

"freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
> David,
>
> Just to make sure: The BIOS may indeed support 4 GB RAM, but it doesn't
> support remapping feature. A fine point easily missed. Just make sure
> you
> see the point.
> --
> freddy
>

> "David" wrote:
>
>> freddy wrote:
>> > David,
>> >
>> > I upgraded a Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz system with 1.5 GB of RAM. I upgraded
>> > to an
>> > Asus P5B-VM motherboard and a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 MHz processor with 2
>> > GB of
>> > PC-6400 (DDR2-800) RAM. I'm pleased with the results, but to be
>> > honest, I
>> > don't do the kind of computing that justifies that upgrade.
>> >
>> > That is, I don't do video editing, photoshop, high end gaming using
>> > SLI,
>> > etc. I could have stayed with my prior system and have been just as
>> > far
>> > ahead. Even so, I can afford it, so why not. I like this stuff, so I
>> > did it
>> > anyway. I do some gaming, but I'm stisfied with using just one decent
>> > video
>> > card (ATI X1650 PCIe). It works well and supports Vista Aero. I like
>> > it.
>> >
>> > Here is something to be aware of when using 4 GB of RAM. For
>> > Vista to recognize and to utilize the full 4 GB, your BIOS must be able
>> > support the remapping feature. Not all BIOS does this. So beware.
>> > Here is
>> > a Microsoft publication describing this requirement:
>> >
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605
>> >
>> > The upshot is that when upgrading to 4 GB of RAM, make sure the
>> > motherboard
>> > BIOS supports that full amount of RAM.

>> Yep I am OK on the BIOS. I probably do not need it either but I may
>> upgrade anyway. I may wait till the end of summer. I would like to get a
>> 24 inch monitor--maybe the Gateway 24Inch model. I probably would get
>> more enjoyment out of the monitor than the CPU. Time will tell,

I went for the 24inch Samsung monitor instead of a CPU upgrade.

freddy

Re: Core 2 CPU Upgrade: Pentium 4 to Core 2
Dave,

Very nice!
--
freddy