non dx9 graphics card

shoeman12

non dx9 graphics card
i know you're supposed to have a dx9 graphics card for vista ultimate but is
this just required for aero or would vista not work at all?
freddy

RE: non dx9 graphics card
shoeman12,

I found this on the Internet using google:

In fact, a key benefit of Windows Vista graphics system is its ability to
scale depending on video card's capabilities. For example, a high end video
card with 256MB or more of video memory and using a WDDM driver will provide
you with the ultimate graphics interface called Aero Glass that sports
translucent windows, and exceptional 3D effects and animations. A moderate
video card with 64--128MB of video memory and using a WDDM driver will
provide you with the a nice graphics interface called Aero Basic, which will
lack some of the fancier effects. A low end video card that has a moderate
amount of video memory, but doesn't have a WDDM driver, will be able to use a
Windows XP Display Driver Model driver (XPDM) and will provide you with a
more simplistic interface called, Classic, which is comparable to what you
see in Windows 2000.

You can do more research by using google to get more of the details.

--
freddy

"shoeman12" wrote:

> i know you're supposed to have a dx9 graphics card for vista ultimate but is
> this just required for aero or would vista not work at all?

Don

Re: non dx9 graphics card
shoeman12 wrote:
> i know you're supposed to have a dx9 graphics card for vista ultimate but is
> this just required for aero or would vista not work at all?

Vista will install automatically without Aero if it sees your video
card is inadequate. The annoying thing is that the basic Vista
CD/DVD burning program requires DX9, as does the only Vista-ready
Nero 7.x.x suite. Very annoying indeed. Dunno about Roxio yet.

freddy

Re: non dx9 graphics card
All,

You can check out three other burning programs that work in Vista:

http://www.imgburn.com/

http://www.deepburner.com/

http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/hom...ssion_langid=2

I found those on another forum where people there say these all work well
with Vista. Each burner has free versions and pay versions. I've not tried
any of them. Whether they require DX-9 video I don't know, but you can
check it out, and if they dont, well all the better.
--
freddy