how to find out what is in the drives

capnscupsggd

how to find out what is in the drives
I started with 80% free in Drive C, and 18% free in Drive D. I tried to do a
backup and suddenly Drive D is full. I have uninstalled everything but the
bare bones and now I have 70% free in Drive C and Drive D is still full. How
can I find out what is in Drive D so I can uninstall and re-install in Drive
C? What's especially annoying is that now I keep getting a Low Disk message.
When I click it, it tells me to delete my Recycle Bin. There's nothing IN
my recycle bin!
freddy

RE: how to find out what is in the drives
capnscupsggd,

To make a meaningful response, you need to describe your system. What is
the original capacity of drive D? It's possible that drive D was established
by the manufacturer of your PC to be the recovery partition. That is, the
vendor designated that drive to contain the operating system and all other
software that came with your PC, so that you have that as backup in case of a
system crash. You would use the contents of drive D to reestablish your
system.

In that case, drive D would be quite small, just large enough to provide for
the backup requirements with some extra space left over for good measure. If
you start using that drive to store other "stuff" it likely would fill up
quickly. It's posible that you could have destroyed what was originally in
drive D. I just don't know. Perhaps you could check with the vendor of your
PC. That's the best explanation I can conjure up without more information.
Anyone else?
--
freddy

"capnscupsggd" wrote:

> I started with 80% free in Drive C, and 18% free in Drive D. I tried to do a
> backup and suddenly Drive D is full. I have uninstalled everything but the
> bare bones and now I have 70% free in Drive C and Drive D is still full. How
> can I find out what is in Drive D so I can uninstall and re-install in Drive
> C? What's especially annoying is that now I keep getting a Low Disk message.
> When I click it, it tells me to delete my Recycle Bin. There's nothing IN
> my recycle bin!

Captain Roberts

Re: how to find out what is in the drives
Have you tried, WindowsKey+R, type CMD and press enter. type dir d: (press
enter)

"capnscupsggd" <capnscupsggd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I started with 80% free in Drive C, and 18% free in Drive D. I tried to do
> backup and suddenly Drive D is full. I have uninstalled everything but
> the
> bare bones and now I have 70% free in Drive C and Drive D is still full.
> How
> can I find out what is in Drive D so I can uninstall and re-install in
> Drive
> C? What's especially annoying is that now I keep getting a Low Disk
> message.
> When I click it, it tells me to delete my Recycle Bin. There's nothing IN
> my recycle bin!

capnscupsggd

RE: how to find out what is in the drives
Okay, I just did the WindowsKey + R thing and got this:

06/04/2007 02:43PM......528 MediaID.bin
12/07/2006 02:01AM <DIR>.....RECOVERY
1 FILE(s) 528 bytes
2 Dir(s) 5,722,112 bytes free

LOL, now I'm even more confused! I'm an old lady and that sign constantly
telling me to delete my Recycle Bin really bothers me.
andy

Re: how to find out what is in the drives
Try using a disk usage program such as
ShowMan
<http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/software/disk.html#ShowMan> or
SC-DiskInfo Standard Edition
<http://www.bestvistadownloads.com/software/k-disk-usage-t-free-sc-diskinfo-standard-edition-download-ajysiyjm.html>.

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 15:52:00 -0700, capnscupsggd
<capnscupsggd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Okay, I just did the WindowsKey + R thing and got this:
>
>06/04/2007 02:43PM......528 MediaID.bin
>12/07/2006 02:01AM <DIR>.....RECOVERY
> 1 FILE(s) 528 bytes
> 2 Dir(s) 5,722,112 bytes free
>
>LOL, now I'm even more confused! I'm an old lady and that sign constantly
>telling me to delete my Recycle Bin really bothers me.

capnscupsggd

Re: how to find out what is in the drives
Oh thank you so much! That worked! What a relief! And thank you again to
everyone who responded. MUCH appreciated.

"andy" wrote:

> Try using a disk usage program such as
> ShowMan
> <http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/software/disk.html#ShowMan> or
> SC-DiskInfo Standard Edition
> <http://www.bestvistadownloads.com/software/k-disk-usage-t-free-sc-diskinfo-standard-edition-download-ajysiyjm.html>.
>
> On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 15:52:00 -0700, capnscupsggd
> <capnscupsggd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Okay, I just did the WindowsKey + R thing and got this:
> >
> >06/04/2007 02:43PM......528 MediaID.bin
> >12/07/2006 02:01AM <DIR>.....RECOVERY
> > 1 FILE(s) 528 bytes
> > 2 Dir(s) 5,722,112 bytes free
> >
> >LOL, now I'm even more confused! I'm an old lady and that sign constantly
> >telling me to delete my Recycle Bin really bothers me.

imonetta

RE: how to find out what is in the drives
Hello there! I am running an HP s3020n SlimLine Desktop PC(Vista Home Prem.),
and have the same questions and situation. This version of Vista, or the
computer configuration(forget the distinction, sometimes) has a lot of drives
named. They go from C:-J:. Drive D: has been designated as the 'recovery'
drive. It is 90% full(cap: about 9Gigs). I would like to burn this important
info to discs. What is the best media? Someone advised dual-layered dvds.
Would appreciate second opinion --or third.
--
If your brain don''t work
while you''re talking