vista does not allow me to install a web cam

philrazor

vista does not allow me to install a web cam
hello,

i tried to install the pc-cam feature included in my pentax option e10
camera. it does not allow me to install it properly.

When i run the CD rom to install the camera, it suddenly prompts me to
search for a file named stream.sys. i did not have this same problem on
windows xp. I tried to install it on while on temporary modality (with
limited applications) and same things happens: a window prompts me to search
for a file that i am sure is included in the CD rom.

Anyone has a suggestion?
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: vista does not allow me to install a web cam
The CD supplied with your camera was produced before the release of Vista..
you need to visit the Pentax site and get Vista drivers.. if none are
available, you might want to ask Pentax if they have plans to release
compatible drivers..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

pvdg42

Re: vista does not allow me to install a web cam

"philrazor" <philrazor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello,
>
> i tried to install the pc-cam feature included in my pentax option e10
> camera. it does not allow me to install it properly.
>
> When i run the CD rom to install the camera, it suddenly prompts me to
> search for a file named stream.sys. i did not have this same problem on
> windows xp. I tried to install it on while on temporary modality (with
> limited applications) and same things happens: a window prompts me to
> search
> for a file that i am sure is included in the CD rom.
>
> Anyone has a suggestion?

Have you tried to run the Pentax software in XP compatibility mode?
You should also check with Pentax to see if the have, or plan to provide,
Vista-compatible versions of your camera's software.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/customer_care/

philrazor

Re: vista does not allow me to install a web cam

the website excplicitely says that the camera i am talking about is
compatible with windows vista.

what is the 'XP compatibility mode'? i have tried only the mode with fewer
drivers installed, don't know its name in english, temporary? or provisional?
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: vista does not allow me to install a web cam
Pentax customer care website has drivers for Win 98 only.. can you give the
website URL where it states that the camera and support software is Vista
compatible?

"Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:

> Pentax customer care website has drivers for Win 98 only.. can you give the
> website URL where it states that the camera and support software is Vista
> compatible?

There you go, here it says that windows vista is compatible with the
software for pentax option e10
http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/supp...ort_vista.html
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: vista does not allow me to install a web cam
So the camera works basically, but not all of the software? I notice that
there is a small disclaimer..

[Caution]
It might possible that operation and phenomenon differ depend on the system
environment and Pentax does not guarantee operation in all the environments.

> "Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Pentax customer care website has drivers for Win 98 only.. can you give
>> the
>> website URL where it states that the camera and support software is Vista
>> compatible?
>>

> There you go, here it says that windows vista is compatible with the
> software for pentax option e10
> http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/supp...ort_vista.html

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

philrazor

Re: vista does not allow me to install a web cam
It used to work just fine on windows xp. the PC camera does not work now at
all with windows vista, that's the feature i totally lost with switching to
this new computer and to its windows vista operating system