USB Mass Storage Device Driver

GrayPM

USB Mass Storage Device Driver
Until recently my version of Vista (Home Premium edition 64 bit) recognised a
Samsung Flash Drive, now for some reason it doesn't. At same time other USB
Memory Devices (Kingston U3 DataTraveler 2Gb) stoarge devices. With all these
devices when I install the unit Vista recognises them, installs a driver and
then tells me that a file is missing and thathat the installation is stopped
- and thus I cannot use the device. I have contacted Kingston and they told
me about 2 possible solutions - tell Vista to go to System32 etc and to go to
c:/Windows/Inf and remove INFCACHE.1; as it might have got corrupted, which
I have duly done. Still the devices are not recognised or the file is still
reported as missing. Kingston haven't got back to me since I reported the
failure although they did promise to (now 4 days).
From my searching on this Group and via the web this seems a common problem
(solved by above??) any one suggest another 'work around', I have even tried
getting Vista to recognise these devices as other brands.
--
Gray
freddy

RE: USB Mass Storage Device Driver
GrayPM,

Here is a Microsoft KB article written to address this problem in WinXP, but
the principles involved can apply to Vista as well:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871233/en-us

I'll try to find such an article written just for Vista and post it when and
if I find it.
--
freddy

"GrayPM" wrote:

> Until recently my version of Vista (Home Premium edition 64 bit) recognised a
> Samsung Flash Drive, now for some reason it doesn't. At same time other USB
> Memory Devices (Kingston U3 DataTraveler 2Gb) stoarge devices. With all these
> devices when I install the unit Vista recognises them, installs a driver and
> then tells me that a file is missing and thathat the installation is stopped
> - and thus I cannot use the device. I have contacted Kingston and they told
> me about 2 possible solutions - tell Vista to go to System32 etc and to go to
> c:/Windows/Inf and remove INFCACHE.1; as it might have got corrupted, which
> I have duly done. Still the devices are not recognised or the file is still
> reported as missing. Kingston haven't got back to me since I reported the
> failure although they did promise to (now 4 days).
> From my searching on this Group and via the web this seems a common problem
> (solved by above??) any one suggest another 'work around', I have even tried
> getting Vista to recognise these devices as other brands.
> --
> Gray

freddy

RE: USB Mass Storage Device Driver
GrayPM,

Here's another one written for WinXP, but so what:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575

I'm still looking.

---
freddy

"GrayPM" wrote:

> Until recently my version of Vista (Home Premium edition 64 bit) recognised a
> Samsung Flash Drive, now for some reason it doesn't. At same time other USB
> Memory Devices (Kingston U3 DataTraveler 2Gb) stoarge devices. With all these
> devices when I install the unit Vista recognises them, installs a driver and
> then tells me that a file is missing and thathat the installation is stopped
> - and thus I cannot use the device. I have contacted Kingston and they told
> me about 2 possible solutions - tell Vista to go to System32 etc and to go to
> c:/Windows/Inf and remove INFCACHE.1; as it might have got corrupted, which
> I have duly done. Still the devices are not recognised or the file is still
> reported as missing. Kingston haven't got back to me since I reported the
> failure although they did promise to (now 4 days).
> From my searching on this Group and via the web this seems a common problem
> (solved by above??) any one suggest another 'work around', I have even tried
> getting Vista to recognise these devices as other brands.
> --
> Gray

freddy

RE: USB Mass Storage Device Driver
GrayPM,

I found the following posted on the HP website for its customers having USB
detection problems:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/f...name=c00820197

You can't have too many of these.
--
freddy

"GrayPM" wrote:

> Until recently my version of Vista (Home Premium edition 64 bit) recognised a
> Samsung Flash Drive, now for some reason it doesn't. At same time other USB
> Memory Devices (Kingston U3 DataTraveler 2Gb) stoarge devices. With all these
> devices when I install the unit Vista recognises them, installs a driver and
> then tells me that a file is missing and thathat the installation is stopped
> - and thus I cannot use the device. I have contacted Kingston and they told
> me about 2 possible solutions - tell Vista to go to System32 etc and to go to
> c:/Windows/Inf and remove INFCACHE.1; as it might have got corrupted, which
> I have duly done. Still the devices are not recognised or the file is still
> reported as missing. Kingston haven't got back to me since I reported the
> failure although they did promise to (now 4 days).
> From my searching on this Group and via the web this seems a common problem
> (solved by above??) any one suggest another 'work around', I have even tried
> getting Vista to recognise these devices as other brands.
> --
> Gray

GrayPM

RE: USB Mass Storage Device Driver
Many thanks for the replies "freddy", afraid I had tried variants of these,
all to no avail. As said Vista does recognise the devices by name, and
apparently puts in the appropriate drivers then fails to use one (?) critical
file. Actual message is -

"Update Driver Software - Data Traveler U3

Windows encountered a problem installing th driver software for your device

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while
attempting to install it.

USB Mass Storage Device

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and
check the support section for driver software."

As said I have contacted the manufaturer of one of my devices, Kingston, and
they cannot supply an driver, they do have an update file but that is for
when the device has been recognised by Vista. The other USB device is made by
Samsung and you have to now which branch of its comglorerate you need to
contact. Another device is made by Toshiba, their Japanese site gives details
of the drive (U3) and states that drivers will be available in February
2007(!!), but no short-cut is available. Presumably they expected the drivers
(32 bit or 64 bit) to be within the Vista installation.

As said in my initial posting, it seems as if this is happening to a lot of
other Vista users, does Microsoft know? And if so will they issue a bulletine
or patch?

--
Gray

"freddy" wrote:

> GrayPM,
>
> I found the following posted on the HP website for its customers having USB
> detection problems:
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/f...name=c00820197
>
> You can't have too many of these.
> --
> freddy
>

> "GrayPM" wrote:
>
> > Until recently my version of Vista (Home Premium edition 64 bit) recognised a
> > Samsung Flash Drive, now for some reason it doesn't. At same time other USB
> > Memory Devices (Kingston U3 DataTraveler 2Gb) stoarge devices. With all these
> > devices when I install the unit Vista recognises them, installs a driver and
> > then tells me that a file is missing and thathat the installation is stopped
> > - and thus I cannot use the device. I have contacted Kingston and they told
> > me about 2 possible solutions - tell Vista to go to System32 etc and to go to
> > c:/Windows/Inf and remove INFCACHE.1; as it might have got corrupted, which
> > I have duly done. Still the devices are not recognised or the file is still
> > reported as missing. Kingston haven't got back to me since I reported the
> > failure although they did promise to (now 4 days).
> > From my searching on this Group and via the web this seems a common problem
> > (solved by above??) any one suggest another 'work around', I have even tried
> > getting Vista to recognise these devices as other brands.
> > --
> > Gray

freddy

RE: USB Mass Storage Device Driver
GrayPM,

Thanks for the exact error message. If you have the U3 software installed
on the device, remove it as it's incompatible with Vista. You need to use
the special U3 removal tool or not all of the software will be removed. The
tool can downloaded from the website of the manufacturer of your device
(SanDisk?). Since the U3 software is compatible with WinXP, it's likely wise
to use WinXP to remove the U3 software.
--
freddy

"GrayPM" wrote:

> [...]
> > > Memory Devices (Kingston U3 DataTraveler 2Gb) stoarge devices. With all these
> > > devices when I install the unit Vista recognises them, installs a driver and
> > > then tells me that a file is missing and thathat the installation is stopped
> > > - and thus I cannot use the device. I have contacted Kingston and they told
> > > me about 2 possible solutions - tell Vista to go to System32 etc and to go to
> > > c:/Windows/Inf and remove INFCACHE.1; as it might have got corrupted, which
> > > I have duly done. Still the devices are not recognised or the file is still
> > > reported as missing. Kingston haven't got back to me since I reported the
> > > failure although they did promise to (now 4 days).
> > > From my searching on this Group and via the web this seems a common problem
> > > (solved by above??) any one suggest another 'work around', I have even tried
> > > getting Vista to recognise these devices as other brands.

GrayPM

RE: USB Mass Storage Device Driver
Both the utilities U3 Uninstall [http://www.u3.com/uninstall/final.spx] and
launchpadremoval require that the device is recognised and working within the
operating system. As I was never able to get as far as being able to install
the U3 facilities etc due to the 'driver fault' both utilities demand that
the device be working.

I am still of the opinion that it is a Microsoft Vista fault, either Vista
on my machine has 'lost' the driver files, a Microsoft Update has removed
[inadvertently] the files or no appropriate drivers were provided within
Vista.

Just had a word with a reseller of USB Mass Media Devices, and he stated to
me that he knows a lot of people with this problem and they are reverting
back to XP!
As said, the manufacturers seem to be relying on Microsoft to provide the
drivers via the operating system and as such cannot or will not release them
separately. As gathered I have not heard from Kingston.

Do you know of any way that I can restore the USB driver files, as initially
loaded from the DVD, without having to revert back, reload Vista and thus
re-authenticate Vista?

--
Gray

"freddy" wrote:

> GrayPM,
>
> Thanks for the exact error message. If you have the U3 software installed
> on the device, remove it as it's incompatible with Vista. You need to use
> the special U3 removal tool or not all of the software will be removed. The
> tool can downloaded from the website of the manufacturer of your device
> (SanDisk?). Since the U3 software is compatible with WinXP, it's likely wise
> to use WinXP to remove the U3 software.
> --
> freddy
>

> "GrayPM" wrote:
>
> > Many thanks for the replies "freddy", afraid I had tried variants of these,
> > all to no avail. As said Vista does recognise the devices by name, and
> > apparently puts in the appropriate drivers then fails to use one (?) critical
> > file. Actual message is -
> >
> > "Update Driver Software - Data Traveler U3
> >
> > Windows encountered a problem installing th driver software for your device
> >
> > Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while
> > attempting to install it.
> >
> > USB Mass Storage Device
> >
> > The system cannot find the file specified.
> >
> > If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and
> > check the support section for driver software."
> >
> > As said I have contacted the manufaturer of one of my devices, Kingston, and
> > they cannot supply an driver, they do have an update file but that is for
> > when the device has been recognised by Vista. The other USB device is made by
> > Samsung and you have to now which branch of its comglorerate you need to
> > contact. Another device is made by Toshiba, their Japanese site gives details
> > of the drive (U3) and states that drivers will be available in February
> > 2007(!!), but no short-cut is available. Presumably they expected the drivers
> > (32 bit or 64 bit) to be within the Vista installation.
> >
> > As said in my initial posting, it seems as if this is happening to a lot of
> > other Vista users, does Microsoft know? And if so will they issue a bulletine
> > or patch?
> >
> > --
> > Gray
> >

> > "freddy" wrote:
> >
> > > GrayPM,
> > >
> > > I found the following posted on the HP website for its customers having USB
> > > detection problems:
> > >
> > > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/f...name=c00820197
> > >
> > > You can't have too many of these.
> > > --
> > > freddy

freddy

RE: USB Mass Storage Device Driver
GrayPM,

I'm standing by my statement in the above post. As far as I know, the U3
software is incompatible with Vista. Use a WinXP machine (friend?) to
retrieve any data and to remove the U3 software before you use the device
with Vista. Am I missing something? The OEMs can supply Vista drivers if
they so choose.
--
freddy

"GrayPM" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and
> > > check the support section for driver software."
> > >
> > > As said I have contacted the manufaturer of one of my devices, Kingston, and
> > > they cannot supply an driver, they do have an update file but that is for
> > > when the device has been recognised by Vista. The other USB device is made by
> > > Samsung and you have to now which branch of its comglorerate you need to
> > > contact. Another device is made by Toshiba, their Japanese site gives details
> > > of the drive (U3) and states that drivers will be available in February
> > > 2007(!!), but no short-cut is available. Presumably they expected the drivers
> > > (32 bit or 64 bit) to be within the Vista installation.
> > >
> > > As said in my initial posting, it seems as if this is happening to a lot of
> > > other Vista users, does Microsoft know? And if so will they issue a bulletine

GrayPM

RE: USB Mass Storage Device Driver
Cannot disagree with your post BUT I never got to the stage as to installing
U3 drivers or software. I have checked the U3 web pages and apparently there
is now Vista compatible software/drivers, but as said I have never been able
or have used them. To also confirm this (and see if the driver issue was some
time ago, I have used Ghost 12 to revert back in time (3 weeks) and issue was
relevant then as is now.

As to manufacturers being able to release drivers for their products, well
it would be nice if they did and not supply them when things go wrong.

Must admit in my previous postings I seem to be knocking Microsoft, rather
than the hardware makers/developers, but, [big word but] there is a lot of
talk on the web as to USB drivers for a lot of devices, recently on the
market that that are not working due to lack of driver etc. Again, as I have
said I have contacted both retailer and manufacturer of my USB devices and
not got anywhere, so where do I go?

Your efforts have been immensely appreciated,
--
Gray

"freddy" wrote:

> GrayPM,
>
> I'm standing by my statement in the above post. As far as I know, the U3
> software is incompatible with Vista. Use a WinXP machine (friend?) to
> retrieve any data and to remove the U3 software before you use the device
> with Vista. Am I missing something? The OEMs can supply Vista drivers if
> they so choose.
> --
> freddy
>

> "GrayPM" wrote:
>
> > Both the utilities U3 Uninstall [http://www.u3.com/uninstall/final.spx] and
> > launchpadremoval require that the device is recognised and working within the
> > operating system. As I was never able to get as far as being able to install
> > the U3 facilities etc due to the 'driver fault' both utilities demand that
> > the device be working.
> >
> > I am still of the opinion that it is a Microsoft Vista fault, either Vista
> > on my machine has 'lost' the driver files, a Microsoft Update has removed
> > [inadvertently] the files or no appropriate drivers were provided within
> > Vista.
> >
> > Just had a word with a reseller of USB Mass Media Devices, and he stated to
> > me that he knows a lot of people with this problem and they are reverting
> > back to XP!
> > As said, the manufacturers seem to be relying on Microsoft to provide the
> > drivers via the operating system and as such cannot or will not release them
> > separately. As gathered I have not heard from Kingston.
> >
> > Do you know of any way that I can restore the USB driver files, as initially
> > loaded from the DVD, without having to revert back, reload Vista and thus
> > re-authenticate Vista?
> >
> > --
> > Gray
> >

> > "freddy" wrote:
> >
> > > GrayPM,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the exact error message. If you have the U3 software installed
> > > on the device, remove it as it's incompatible with Vista. You need to use
> > > the special U3 removal tool or not all of the software will be removed. The
> > > tool can downloaded from the website of the manufacturer of your device
> > > (SanDisk?). Since the U3 software is compatible with WinXP, it's likely wise
> > > to use WinXP to remove the U3 software.
> > > --
> > > freddy

freddy

RE: USB Mass Storage Device Driver
GrayPM,

OK, here is what is confusing me. When you purchased these drives, did any
of them come with the U3 software installed?
--
freddy