HP C3180 problem

Fernando Cacciola

HP C3180 problem
Hi,

From the time I have an XP pro, I have an HP Photosmart C3180 All-in-One
device.

When I first installed Vista Home Premium 32bits, printing just worked as
soon as the device manager found the drivers online after I turned the
printer on for the very first time.

Today, however, I needed to scan a document but could find any scanning app,
so I inserted the CD and followed the installation.

I *knew* that the software in the CD was for XP, not Vista, but I wanted to
install the "applications", not the drivers, so I figure I could get away
with it.

I didn't work however becasue it tried to install the XP driver which of
course failed.

So I turned to HP site and downloaded the full software (drivers+apps) for
Vista, but it failed to install as well.

Then I downloaded only the printer+scan drivers, again from the HP site and
for Vista-32bits. Turned off the priner, uninstall the "Photosmart C3100
series" driver from the device manager, and rebooted.

After logging in, I reinstalled the drivers using the fresh installer just
downloaded from HP (for Vista32).

The installer ended up with a report reading that "the device is ready to be
used", but when I turn on the printer, connected via USB, it goes to
"install new driver", which in the ends just fails with message:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
The required section was not found in the INF.
To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

If I click on Reinstall Driver and let it search for it online, it ends up
with the exact same error (The required section was not found in the INF)

I also tried uninstaller+rebooting, then just turning on the printer to let
the device manager automatically find the correct driver, as it did once,
but then I get the same error.

May this be a genuine problem with the HP driver? If it is, and given that
it used to work (about a month ago when I insalled Vista), how can I get the
old driver back?

TIA

--
Fernando Cacciola
SciSoft

Fernando Cacciola

Re: HP C3180 problem
FWIW, here's the log from C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log

>>> [Finish Install Wizard - USB\VID_03F0&PID_5611\BR73HGM17G04KV]
>>> Section start 2007/06/07 18:23:39.776

dvi: {Build Driver List} 18:23:39.777
! dvi: Driver list already built
dvi: {Build Driver List - exit(0x00000000)} 18:23:39.777
dvi: {DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV} 18:23:39.778
dvi: No class installer for 'Photosmart C3100 (USBHUB)'
dvi: No CoInstallers found
dvi: Default installer: Enter 18:23:39.780
dvi: {Select Best Driver}
dvi: Selected driver installs from section [USBHUB_Inst]
in
'c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\hp ohub09.inf_28a2b327\hpohub09.inf'.
dvi: Class GUID of device changed to:
{41ca76bf-3326-4817-8fe0-5043207006d9}.
dvi: Set selected driver complete.
dvi: Selected:
dvi: Description - [Photosmart C3100 (USBHUB)]
dvi: InfFile -
[c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\hpo hub09.inf_28a2b327\hpohub09.inf]
dvi: Section - [USBHUB_Inst]
dvi: Signer - [Not digitally signed]
dvi: Rank - [0xc0ff0001]
dvi: {Select Best Driver - exit(0x00000000)}
dvi: Default installer: Exit
dvi: {DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV - exit(0x00000000)} 18:23:39.785
dvi: {DIF_NEWDEVICEWIZARD_FINISHINSTALL} 18:23:39.833
dvi: No class installer for 'Photosmart C3100 (USBHUB)'
dvi: No CoInstallers found
dvi: Default installer: Enter 18:23:39.836
dvi: Default installer: Exit
dvi: {DIF_NEWDEVICEWIZARD_FINISHINSTALL - exit(0xe000020e)}
18:23:39.837
<<< Section end 2007/06/07 18:23:47.479
<<< [Exit status: FAILURE(0xe0000101)]

Any ideas??

TIA

--
Fernando Cacciola
SciSoft

freddy

RE: HP C3180 problem
Fernando,

Try this: Find the file hpohub09.inf (I copied it from your 2nd post) in
C:\Windows\inf. Right click the file and select Install. See what happens.
This sometimes works and sometimes not, depending on just what the problem is.

To explain, the installer needs an .inf (information) file so that it can
get the information it needs to complete the installation properly. Without
the information from the file, the Installer cannot install the printer.

If this doesn't work, and no one has a solution, contact HP support for
assistance.
--
freddy

"Fernando Cacciola" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From the time I have an XP pro, I have an HP Photosmart C3180 All-in-One
> device.
>
> When I first installed Vista Home Premium 32bits, printing just worked as
> soon as the device manager found the drivers online after I turned the
> printer on for the very first time.
>
> Today, however, I needed to scan a document but could find any scanning app,
> so I inserted the CD and followed the installation.
>
> I *knew* that the software in the CD was for XP, not Vista, but I wanted to
> install the "applications", not the drivers, so I figure I could get away
> with it.
>
> I didn't work however becasue it tried to install the XP driver which of
> course failed.
>
> So I turned to HP site and downloaded the full software (drivers+apps) for
> Vista, but it failed to install as well.
>
> Then I downloaded only the printer+scan drivers, again from the HP site and
> for Vista-32bits. Turned off the priner, uninstall the "Photosmart C3100
> series" driver from the device manager, and rebooted.
>
> After logging in, I reinstalled the drivers using the fresh installer just
> downloaded from HP (for Vista32).
>
> The installer ended up with a report reading that "the device is ready to be
> used", but when I turn on the printer, connected via USB, it goes to
> "install new driver", which in the ends just fails with message:
>
> The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
> The required section was not found in the INF.
> To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.
>
> If I click on Reinstall Driver and let it search for it online, it ends up
> with the exact same error (The required section was not found in the INF)
>
> I also tried uninstaller+rebooting, then just turning on the printer to let
> the device manager automatically find the correct driver, as it did once,
> but then I get the same error.
>
> May this be a genuine problem with the HP driver? If it is, and given that
> it used to work (about a month ago when I insalled Vista), how can I get the
> old driver back?
>

> TIA
>

> --
> Fernando Cacciola
> SciSoft
> http://fcacciola.50webs.com

huwyngr

Re: HP C3180 problem
In article <OVYLpiSqHHA.532@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Fernando Cacciola wrote:

> Today, however, I needed to scan a document but could find any scanning app,*
> so I inserted the CD and followed the installation.
>
> I *knew* that the software in the CD was for XP, not Vista, but I wanted to*
> install the "applications", not the drivers, so I figure I could get away*
> with it.

Did you do this with the device and it's USB cable unplugged from the PC?

But in any case why not get and use the Fully Featured VISTA software from HP?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...us&dlc=en&prod
uct=1146331&lang=en

HP Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers

03-2007 080.001.225.000 - 159.05M

When you download it make a note of where it is downloaded to.

Disconnect the USB cable from the PC << You must do this!

Uninstall using Control / Add/Remove Programs all the HP software you installed
already.

Delete the icons for the device in Fax & Scan and in Printers or wherever they
are.

Find the downloaded file, right mouse click on it and select Run as
Administrator.

Do NOT connect the USB cable until the installation procedure tells you to or
after [Finish} and if it tells you to after restarting the computer.

Good luck.