Please read, cross post: dim primary monitor

benfield

Please read, cross post: dim primary monitor
My computer will, 30 seconds after I log into windows, make the entire
screen except the cursor go dim. It looks similar to when UAC dims the
monitor to focus on a specific prompt, but it is perpetual, and the only
think highlighted is the cursor. This occurs regardless of the resolution
of the monitor or whether glass is on or off. Oddly, the dimmness only
affects the primary monitor. I have tried disabling UAC, but it doesn't
solve the problem.

Most of the time the secondary monitor does not go dim.

The display will occasionally flash with the full brightness.

If I log in with a different account the problem will not manifest itself.

I have a Mobility Radeon X300 with 7.4 drivers from dell on an Inspiron
6000.

Please respond, even with sympathy. The dimness of the monitor is making me
want to chuck it out a window.

Ben

freddy

RE: Please read, cross post: dim primary monitor
benfield,

It's pretty hard to say with certainty and with no hands-on troubleshooting,
but I'd speculate that you have a monitor problem, and not a Vista problem.
That's my take on what you describe, particularly since your other monitor is
working well. Monitors do go bad. Anyone else?
--
freddy

"benfield" wrote:

> My computer will, 30 seconds after I log into windows, make the entire
> screen except the cursor go dim. It looks similar to when UAC dims the
> monitor to focus on a specific prompt, but it is perpetual, and the only
> think highlighted is the cursor. This occurs regardless of the resolution
> of the monitor or whether glass is on or off. Oddly, the dimmness only
> affects the primary monitor. I have tried disabling UAC, but it doesn't
> solve the problem.
>
> Most of the time the secondary monitor does not go dim.
>
> The display will occasionally flash with the full brightness.
>
> If I log in with a different account the problem will not manifest itself.
>
> I have a Mobility Radeon X300 with 7.4 drivers from dell on an Inspiron
> 6000.
>
> Please respond, even with sympathy. The dimness of the monitor is making me
> want to chuck it out a window.
>
> Ben

freddy

RE: Please read, cross post: dim primary monitor
benfield,

I found this while looking for something else. Take a look to see whether
it could apply to your situation:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929249/

Always trying.
--