I cannot install anything from a CD on Vista

Tara P

I cannot install anything from a CD on Vista
I am not a new user, and do have administrator rights. The problem is that I
cannot install or read a CD. Windows explorer immediately stops working. I
can listen to audio CD's and watch DVD's in windows media however, so I know
the problem is not with the DVD player itself. I have checked my device
drivers, and the VOBID InstantDrive CD SCSI CD Rom Devise is not working. I
have searched windows for a newer driver but it says I have the newest
available. What else can I try?
freddy

RE: I cannot install anything from a CD on Vista
Tara P,

All I can prvide are some troubleshooting guides:

The following Microsoft publication describes how to troubleshoot problems
such as you have. It applies to WinXP, but these steps are the same of
similar in Vista:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321641/

Here is another one, but it applies to the CD-ROM drive hardware:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314096/

Try this too, leaving no stone unturned:

If all else fails, drives are cheap these days.

--
freddy

"Tara P" wrote:

> I am not a new user, and do have administrator rights. The problem is that I
> cannot install or read a CD. Windows explorer immediately stops working. I
> can listen to audio CD's and watch DVD's in windows media however, so I know
> the problem is not with the DVD player itself. I have checked my device
> drivers, and the VOBID InstantDrive CD SCSI CD Rom Devise is not working. I
> have searched windows for a newer driver but it says I have the newest
> available. What else can I try?

freddy

RE: I cannot install anything from a CD on Vista
Tara P,

Another trougleshooting guide (just in case):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us

You can never have too much.
--
freddy

"Tara P" wrote:

> I am not a new user, and do have administrator rights. The problem is that I
> cannot install or read a CD. Windows explorer immediately stops working. I
> can listen to audio CD's and watch DVD's in windows media however, so I know
> the problem is not with the DVD player itself. I have checked my device
> drivers, and the VOBID InstantDrive CD SCSI CD Rom Devise is not working. I
> have searched windows for a newer driver but it says I have the newest
> available. What else can I try?

Tara P

RE: I cannot install anything from a CD on Vista
Thanks Freddy - I tried all of these already and finally ended up deleting
Roxio - every last bloody bit of it - and lo and behold it works now!! The
worst part is that Roxio came INSTALLED on my new laptop with Vista.

Tara

"freddy" wrote:

> Tara P,
>
> All I can prvide are some troubleshooting guides:
>
> The following Microsoft publication describes how to troubleshoot problems
> such as you have. It applies to WinXP, but these steps are the same of
> similar in Vista:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321641/
>
> Here is another one, but it applies to the CD-ROM drive hardware:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314096/
>
> Try this too, leaving no stone unturned:

> If all else fails, drives are cheap these days.
>
> --
> freddy
>

> "Tara P" wrote:
>
> > I am not a new user, and do have administrator rights. The problem is that I
> > cannot install or read a CD. Windows explorer immediately stops working. I
> > can listen to audio CD's and watch DVD's in windows media however, so I know
> > the problem is not with the DVD player itself. I have checked my device
> > drivers, and the VOBID InstantDrive CD SCSI CD Rom Devise is not working. I
> > have searched windows for a newer driver but it says I have the newest
> > available. What else can I try?

freddy

RE: I cannot install anything from a CD on Vista
Tara P,

If you can't get Roxio working, here are three other burning programs you can
check Out:

http://www.imgburn.com/

http://www.deepburner.com/

http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/hom...ssion_langid=2

I found those on another forum where people there say these all work well
with Vista. Each burner has free versions and pay versions. I've not tried
any of them.
--
freddy