Loud beep even when mute is on.

Tech_vs_Life

Loud beep even when mute is on.
On 32-bit Vista ultimate, I have an audio problem--and I'm not sure if it's
hardware related or driver-related. With a Dell Latitude D820 laptop (Intel
945P chipset), I get an extremely loud beep (and volume or mute has no
effect on it), every time I move from one item to another item but only on a
few specific types of lists:
for example, the list of drives under:
Programs, Administrative tools, computer management, storage, Disk
management.
or the list of items in pcanywhere host or remote screens.

(but no beep when navigating files in windows explorer, or most other
places).

The only way to get rid of the beep that I've discovered is to stop the
Windows Audio service--but that has the side-effect of disabling ALL sound
and audio from the system.

Any suggestions on what to do, or what might be the cause?

I've tried reinstalling the SigmaTel audio drivers from dell (6.10.0.5343),
but no change. I tried newer drivers that seemed to be compatible from
Intel's website but they didn't install ("device object not found" message,
or "wrong driver" message).

Tech_vs_Life

Re: Loud beep even when mute is on.
One more note: stopping the "beep" driver (?) under Non-Plug and Play
drivers in Device Manager (with View, Show hidden devices selected), solves
the issue, while not disabling normal windows beeps.

I assume I can safely disable the Beep driver. I don't know whether this a
bug in Vista or SigmaTel, or both, or who provides the beep driver.

"Tech_vs_Life" <limited@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> On 32-bit Vista ultimate, I have an audio problem--and I'm not sure if
> it's hardware related or driver-related. With a Dell Latitude D820 laptop
> (Intel 945P chipset), I get an extremely loud beep (and volume or mute has
> no effect on it), every time I move from one item to another item but only
> on a few specific types of lists:
> for example, the list of drives under:
> Programs, Administrative tools, computer management, storage, Disk
> management.
> or the list of items in pcanywhere host or remote screens.
>
> (but no beep when navigating files in windows explorer, or most other
> places).
>
> The only way to get rid of the beep that I've discovered is to stop the
> Windows Audio service--but that has the side-effect of disabling ALL sound
> and audio from the system.
>
> Any suggestions on what to do, or what might be the cause?
>
> I've tried reinstalling the SigmaTel audio drivers from dell
> (6.10.0.5343), but no change. I tried newer drivers that seemed to be
> compatible from Intel's website but they didn't install ("device object
> not found" message, or "wrong driver" message).

freddy

RE: Loud beep even when mute is on.
Tech_vs_Life,

My Beep driver doesn't "beep" so I've no problem with. Anyway, take a look
at this link and your problem will be solved:

http://weyland.be/wrdprss/index.php/...windows-vista/

Take care,
--
freddy

"Tech_vs_Life" wrote:

> On 32-bit Vista ultimate, I have an audio problem--and I'm not sure if it's
> hardware related or driver-related. With a Dell Latitude D820 laptop (Intel
> 945P chipset), I get an extremely loud beep (and volume or mute has no
> effect on it), every time I move from one item to another item but only on a
> few specific types of lists:
> for example, the list of drives under:
> Programs, Administrative tools, computer management, storage, Disk
> management.
> or the list of items in pcanywhere host or remote screens.
>
> (but no beep when navigating files in windows explorer, or most other
> places).
>
> The only way to get rid of the beep that I've discovered is to stop the
> Windows Audio service--but that has the side-effect of disabling ALL sound
> and audio from the system.
>
> Any suggestions on what to do, or what might be the cause?
>
> I've tried reinstalling the SigmaTel audio drivers from dell (6.10.0.5343),
> but no change. I tried newer drivers that seemed to be compatible from
> Intel's website but they didn't install ("device object not found" message,
> or "wrong driver" message).

Chris P.

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 16:31:01 -0400, Tech_vs_Life wrote:

> One more note: stopping the "beep" driver (?) under Non-Plug and Play
> drivers in Device Manager (with View, Show hidden devices selected), solves
> the issue, while not disabling normal windows beeps.
>
> I assume I can safely disable the Beep driver. I don't know whether this a
> bug in Vista or SigmaTel, or both, or who provides the beep driver.

PCAnywhere explicitly sends "beeps" as opposed to sounds or sounds events,
and does not offer a way to shut them off. Easy solution as you've found
is to disable the beep driver.

--
http://www.chrisnet.net/code.htm
[MS MVP for DirectShow / MediaFoundation]
Tech_vs_Life

Re: Loud beep even when mute is on.
Thanks, that's what worked.

"freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
> Tech_vs_Life,
>
> My Beep driver doesn't "beep" so I've no problem with. Anyway, take a
> look
> at this link and your problem will be solved:
>
> http://weyland.be/wrdprss/index.php/...windows-vista/
>
> Take care,
> --
> freddy
>

> "Tech_vs_Life" wrote:
>
>> On 32-bit Vista ultimate, I have an audio problem--and I'm not sure if
>> it's
>> hardware related or driver-related. With a Dell Latitude D820 laptop
>> (Intel
>> 945P chipset), I get an extremely loud beep (and volume or mute has no
>> effect on it), every time I move from one item to another item but only
>> on a
>> few specific types of lists:
>> for example, the list of drives under:
>> Programs, Administrative tools, computer management, storage, Disk
>> management.
>> or the list of items in pcanywhere host or remote screens.
>>
>> (but no beep when navigating files in windows explorer, or most other
>> places).
>>
>> The only way to get rid of the beep that I've discovered is to stop the
>> Windows Audio service--but that has the side-effect of disabling ALL
>> sound
>> and audio from the system.
>>
>> Any suggestions on what to do, or what might be the cause?
>>
>> I've tried reinstalling the SigmaTel audio drivers from dell
>> (6.10.0.5343),
>> but no change. I tried newer drivers that seemed to be compatible from
>> Intel's website but they didn't install ("device object not found"
>> message,
>> or "wrong driver" message).

Tech_vs_Life

Re: Loud beep even when mute is on.
thanks, I let symantec know. I may still have some issue, since the newer
Intel sigmatel audio driver (for the 945 chipset) won't install, but perhaps
it is designed not to install on Dell customized versions of the intel
boards (I haven't experienced this problem with other Intel drivers).

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 17:10:05 -0400, Tech_vs_Life wrote:

> thanks, I let symantec know. I may still have some issue, since the newer
> Intel sigmatel audio driver (for the 945 chipset) won't install, but perhaps
> it is designed not to install on Dell customized versions of the intel
> boards (I haven't experienced this problem with other Intel drivers).

I ran into a similar problem, I had to get the Dell version to install the
945 graphic drivers. I haven't tried the audio driver yet.