Hardware not found

Michael Harrison

Hardware not found
I recently bought Vista for my home desktop computer when i bought a new
computer. I bought a dial up PCI modem separately and attempted to install it
myself as i have successfully done so with XP and other operation systems.
After installing the hardware and booting up the system no window opened
saying new hardware found or something similar. After doing some research on
the internet I decided that the modem was probably not compatible with Vista
and that I was getting wireless broadband soon so there was no need to worry
about it. This weekend I bought my wireless card. I once again installed the
hardware in a different PCI slot and once again no window opened explaining
that new hardware had been found. I am thus unable to download updates for my
computer in a hope to fix the problem due to the difficulties I'm having.
Please Help.
Rick Rogers

Re: Hardware not found
Hi Michael,

While it should be detected and installed automatically, you might try this:
Click start and type "add hardware", there should now be an entry in the
menu for you to select. Run this tool to see if it can detect and install
the card.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Michael Harrison" <Michael Harrison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F611BF58-CC45-4958-8243-D1B9E397AFB2@microsoft.com...
>I recently bought Vista for my home desktop computer when i bought a new
> computer. I bought a dial up PCI modem separately and attempted to install
> it
> myself as i have successfully done so with XP and other operation systems.
> After installing the hardware and booting up the system no window opened
> saying new hardware found or something similar. After doing some research
> on
> the internet I decided that the modem was probably not compatible with
> Vista
> and that I was getting wireless broadband soon so there was no need to
> worry
> about it. This weekend I bought my wireless card. I once again installed
> the
> hardware in a different PCI slot and once again no window opened
> explaining
> that new hardware had been found. I am thus unable to download updates for
> my
> computer in a hope to fix the problem due to the difficulties I'm having.
> Please Help.

freddy

RE: Hardware not found
Michael,

Does Device Manager have an entry for any of these devices? If it does,
then Device Manager likely lists the hardware as unknown devices. Device
Manager includes procedures for troubleshooting and for finding drivers.
However, it won't find drivers when there are no Vista compatible drivers
available. When buying hardware, always verify that they are compatible with
Vista before buying.
--
freddy