USB-stick trouble but different

Peter Janssen

USB-stick trouble but different
Hi,

I've been looking for a solution to a very weird prob I have. When I put my
cheap ass databar from freecom in the usb slot Vista prompts new hardware
found. It finds the "correct" driver and asks me if I want to open the drive.
If I do this I see the drive with it's folders. Nothing wrong yet. But if I
wait for a moment (or try to open/move a file) the drive is empty. I can't
access my files at all. I have two identical sticks and they both work fine
on w2k. I have windows Vista Ultimate on an Acer 9420. Any suggestions?
freddy

RE: USB-stick trouble but different
Peter,

After connecting the stick to your computer, and after Windows recognizes
it, but before trying to access it, go to Device Manager. In Device Manager,
check the entry for the device. There may be more than one line item for
that stick.

In addition to the main page in Device Manager, also unfold Universal Serial
Bus Controllers and look for your stick there, too. Check for any errors,
and also check the other messages under the Properties for the various
entries for the stick.

What you want to see is This device is working properly, or words to that
effect. I don't know what the problem might be. You are looking for clues
to what the problem could be.
--
freddy

"Peter Janssen" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been looking for a solution to a very weird prob I have. When I put my
> cheap ass databar from freecom in the usb slot Vista prompts new hardware
> found. It finds the "correct" driver and asks me if I want to open the drive.
> If I do this I see the drive with it's folders. Nothing wrong yet. But if I
> wait for a moment (or try to open/move a file) the drive is empty. I can't
> access my files at all. I have two identical sticks and they both work fine
> on w2k. I have windows Vista Ultimate on an Acer 9420. Any suggestions?

Peter Janssen

RE: USB-stick trouble but different
Freddy,

I tried your suggestion but no errors. The computer thinks everything is
fine. I'm formatting one of my sticks to NTFS if possible. See if that helps.
Any other suggestion to find an error?

Peter

"freddy" wrote:

> Peter,
>
> After connecting the stick to your computer, and after Windows recognizes
> it, but before trying to access it, go to Device Manager. In Device Manager,
> check the entry for the device. There may be more than one line item for
> that stick.
>
> In addition to the main page in Device Manager, also unfold Universal Serial
> Bus Controllers and look for your stick there, too. Check for any errors,
> and also check the other messages under the Properties for the various
> entries for the stick.
>
> What you want to see is This device is working properly, or words to that
> effect. I don't know what the problem might be. You are looking for clues
> to what the problem could be.
> --
> freddy

freddy

RE: USB-stick trouble but different
Peter,

I only can add that you could contact the device manufacturer's support, if
you can't get it to work. You'd think the manufacturer knows how to make
their hardware work with Vista. Moreover, you could google around to see
what others are doing. It's sometimes hard to tell about these issues.
Other than those comments, you're guess is as good as mine. Anyone else?

--
freddy