Vista does recognize optical drive

Ron Sellner

Vista does recognize optical drive
When booting up, BIOS recognized my CD/DVD RW optical drive and I can boot
from it. Once Windows has control, my optical drive does not appear on either
Disk Management or Windows Explorer. When I load a disk, it does not
autoplay. When I try the Run command, the browser does not show my internal
optical drive as an option.

I have no problems with the external CD/DVD RW drive (USB). I have tried
substituting several optical drives that work with Vista on my other
desktops. The problem is only on the desktop that has Ultimate installed. The
other two have Home Premium Vista, but they were installed from the 32 bit
Vista DVD. The desktop with the non-recognition problem is running 64 bit
Vista Ultimate.
Daibach98

RE: Vista does recognize optical drive
See whether this information is useful:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Hi Ron,
I have a similar problem and this is the advice I have been given.
Hope it helps.

Daibach98

"Ron Sellner" wrote:

> When booting up, BIOS recognized my CD/DVD RW optical drive and I can boot
> from it. Once Windows has control, my optical drive does not appear on either
> Disk Management or Windows Explorer. When I load a disk, it does not
> autoplay. When I try the Run command, the browser does not show my internal
> optical drive as an option.
>
> I have no problems with the external CD/DVD RW drive (USB). I have tried
> substituting several optical drives that work with Vista on my other
> desktops. The problem is only on the desktop that has Ultimate installed. The
> other two have Home Premium Vista, but they were installed from the 32 bit
> Vista DVD. The desktop with the non-recognition problem is running 64 bit
> Vista Ultimate.

Daibach98

RE: Vista does recognize optical drive

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/
This may be more relevant, Having read through it mentions this is for xp or
vista beta. If your copy of vista is less than 90 days old and registered it
might be worth contacting miscrosoft support for free advice.

I hope it helps

Daibach98