Missing printers causing long boot times?

Hollis Paul

Missing printers causing long boot times?
A Vista Business 64-bit was booting fine until an Epson printer decided
that the ink was low, put a two page document into the queue, and never
operated properly since. We first deleted the printer object,
connected to another printer on another workstation, and were able to
print. But that failed on the second attempt to print, so we waited
for the refurb Lexmark to arrive. The Lexmark works fine, prints like
a champ, but the boot still takes forever.

Is there a log that I can look at to determine if time is being lost
while the boot process looks for the old Epson printer of the shared
printer on the other workstation? Is there a registry key that could
have outdated printer data?

The network is provided by a SBS 2003 installation at SP1.

--
Hollis Paul
Mukilteo, WA USA

Chuck

Re: Missing printers causing long boot times?
On 5/26/2010 2:06 PM, Hollis Paul wrote:
> A Vista Business 64-bit was booting fine until an Epson printer decided
> that the ink was low, put a two page document into the queue, and never
> operated properly since. We first deleted the printer object,
> connected to another printer on another workstation, and were able to
> print. But that failed on the second attempt to print, so we waited
> for the refurb Lexmark to arrive. The Lexmark works fine, prints like
> a champ, but the boot still takes forever.
>
> Is there a log that I can look at to determine if time is being lost
> while the boot process looks for the old Epson printer of the shared
> printer on the other workstation? Is there a registry key that could
> have outdated printer data?
>
> The network is provided by a SBS 2003 installation at SP1.
>
> --
> Hollis Paul
> Mukilteo, WA USA

Many of the Epson printers have several modules that may not have been
removed properly. Depending upon the exact model, a "cleanup" utility
may be available on the Epson support web site. Other models require a
full install/uninstall, driven by software included on the support CD/DVD.
As to registry entries, the first search term to try is epson. I'd print
a text copy of these entries, so that references to "sub entries" are
readable, and thus actionable.