installing XP onto VISTA machine

aa

installing XP onto VISTA machine
Have HP Pavioin with VISTA, one physical drive (C with four partitions on
it.
C: is the one with VISTA
D: recovery
E and F - logical partitions for data storage.
Want to install XP into one of the existong partitions.
However when the installation process come to the screen to select a
partition it shows no partition at all. Instead it shows four things which
look like drive placeholders, each saying that there is no drive in it

Bernd

Re: installing XP onto VISTA machine

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Have HP Pavioin with VISTA, one physical drive (C with four partitions on
> it.
> C: is the one with VISTA
> D: recovery
> E and F - logical partitions for data storage.
> Want to install XP into one of the existong partitions.
> However when the installation process come to the screen to select a
> partition it shows no partition at all. Instead it shows four things which
> look like drive placeholders, each saying that there is no drive in it

The partition to you want install XP MUST be a primary partition, not a
logical one.

Bernd
aa

"Bernd" <fake@gmx.de> wrote in message

> The partition to you want install XP MUST be a primary partition, not a
> logical one.

I appreciate that, but the XP set up disk usually allows even to create a
partition. At leats it should see the existing primary partition VISTA is
on, but it sees nothing.

philo

On 05/02/2010 11:49 AM, Bernd wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>
>> Have HP Pavioin with VISTA, one physical drive (C with four
>> partitions on it.
>> C: is the one with VISTA
>> D: recovery
>> E and F - logical partitions for data storage.
>> Want to install XP into one of the existong partitions.
>> However when the installation process come to the screen to select a
>> partition it shows no partition at all. Instead it shows four things
>> which look like drive placeholders, each saying that there is no drive
>> in it
>>

> The partition to you want install XP MUST be a primary partition, not a
> logical one.
>
> Bernd

Not true

XP can be installed on any partition

but the boot files must always be on the active primary...

In this case it would more than likely destroy the Win7 boot loader however
LD5SZRA

Re: installing XP onto VISTA machine
If you want to avoid problems down the line, I suggest backup
everything you have got on C and D drive (i.e. Vista and recovery
drives) using Acronis or Norton Ghost 15. Then reformat
everything using Windows XP CD and recreate the partition using
the same CD. Then install XP first then Install Vista on D
drive. This way you have got dual boot on your system and at boot
time you will have 30 seconds by default to choose which Os you
want to boot into.

The purpose of the backups is to have something to go back to just
in case it doesn't work first time round. Multiple boot is always
Windows 2000, then XP, then Vista then Windows 7. We have got a
system on which we have Dos 6.22/Windows 3.10, Windows 95,
Windows98/SE, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 7 though no
body uses it but we need it just in case we want to test something
out.

Incidentally ignore Twayne because he is a known troll on these
newsgroups and he knows nothing but how to abuse people.

hth

--
THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND. LD5SZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR

Copyright LD5SZRA 2010.
whs

Re: installing XP onto VISTA machine

Do you have the XP driver for that disk.

--
whs
theog

whs;1260635 Wrote:
> Do you have the XP driver for that disk.

OP has two posts.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-genera...a-machine.html

--
theog
Bernd

Re: installing XP onto VISTA machine

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> XP can be installed on any partition
>
> but the boot files must always be on the active primary...

Using the standard setup ?

Bernd
philo

On 05/02/2010 05:48 PM, Bernd wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>

>> XP can be installed on any partition
>>
>> but the boot files must always be on the active primary...
>>

> Using the standard setup ?
>
> Bernd

Yes...
XP can be installed on any partition (not on an external USB drive)

but no matter where it's installed...the boot files...by default
will end up on the active primary.
That's true of all versions of Windows from win95 and up

Installing XP after Vista is a recipe for disaster
though a third party boot manager should be able to handle it
or a Vista repair might do the trick
smlunatick

On May 3, 1:10*am, philo <ph...@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> On 05/02/2010 05:48 PM, Bernd wrote:
>

> > -------- Original-Nachricht --------

> >> XP can be installed on any partition

> >> but the boot files must always be on the active primary...

> > Using the standard setup ?

> > Bernd

> Yes...
> XP can be installed on any partition (not on an external USB drive)
>
> but no matter where it's installed...the boot files...by default
> will end up on the active primary.
> That's true of all versions of Windows from win95 and up
>
> Installing XP after Vista is a recipe for disaster
> though a third party boot manager should be able to handle it
> or a Vista repair might do the trick

Usually, XP will install if there is any "unallocated" hard drive
space. It appears that the hard drive might not have any available
left. (Note: there will always small left over that will not get
used.)