External Drive problems

makion91

External Drive problems

Hi guys,

The problems I've been having is with my Windows Vista Home Premium
32bit, Toshiba Laptop (A300).

For some reason, It's unable to either normally format any external
memory devices into a FAT or FAT32 format, or unable to read it at all.
I keep trying to open the device but it keeps saying that i need to
format it, but because of problem 1, it can't be formated (it almost
completes but the process shuts down, stating that it can't be
formated)

This problem has been happening for the longest time and I really need
this fixed.

When I say external memory devices, i mean CDs, DVDs, Flash drives, SD
cards, memory card readers. Everytime I check the disk management of
these devices, it says they are Primary Partitioned (which is the normal
status right?). And the only thing that seems to be the problem is the
RAW file system (which I heard windows doesn't read)

However, the wierd thing is if I plug in something like a USB mouse, or
a camera, it has full functionality (I.E. the mouse works/files are
reachable on the camera).

I then tried to format it using the cmd lines, and tried to format it to
FAT32, but after it says 100% formated, and i try to use it again, Disk
Management tells me that it's back in RAW format.

How can i fix this...

Thank you in advance.

--
makion91
whs

Re: External Drive problems

Try this: in disk management, right click on the left pane (where it say
disk0, disk1, etc.) and *initialize*. Then try to format.

--
whs
makion91

Re: External Drive problems

it doesnt give me the option of initialize

it only gives me..."Change Letter and Paths", "Eject", "Properties", and
"Help"

When i click on properties, it actually says my device is working
perfectly fine too.

--
makion91
whs

Re: External Drive problems

Hmm, then I am out of ideas. Sorry.

--
whs
+Bob+

Re: External Drive problems
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 22:01:14 -0500, makion91 <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>it doesnt give me the option of initialize
>
>it only gives me..."Change Letter and Paths", "Eject", "Properties", and
>"Help"
>
>When i click on properties, it actually says my device is working
>perfectly fine too.

What happens if you format it on another computer, then bring it to
the Vista machine to read?
whs

Re: External Drive problems

> What happens if you format it on another computer, then bring it to
> the Vista machine to read?

That would work. But the if other computer is Vista too, you'll run into
the same problems. But a Linux system may work, just make sure you
format into NTFS.

--
whs
+Bob+

Re: External Drive problems
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 00:39:50 -0500, whs <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>> What happens if you format it on another computer, then bring it to
>> the Vista machine to read?
>>

>That would work. But the if other computer is Vista too, you'll run into
>the same problems. But a Linux system may work, just make sure you
>format into NTFS.

My thought was to do it as a diagnostic tool, to determine if the
problem is with Vista or with his memory stick.