BIOS SETUP UTITLY LOST

arico

BIOS SETUP UTITLY LOST
Since I upgrading my BIOS (Phoenix technologies) V1.7 to V1.8, I can no longer access the BIOS SETUP UTILITY MENU.

NOTE: the notebook is working fine, I can access the F2 boot and F8 advance boot menu.

When I press F10 I get the following;

Edit windows boot options for: Microsoft Windows Vista
Path:\windows\system32\win load.exe
Partition:2
Hard Disk: 5c9d3909
E\NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT

MODEL: ACER ASPIRE 5735-4774. Vista. HP. 32. SP2

I don’t have a backup, how to I get the SETUP UTILITY,

I want to upgrade to ultimate this is holding my back.

Rick Rogers

Re: BIOS SETUP UTITLY LOST
Hi,

If you're getting that, then you're hitting the setup key too late. That
information is coming from the hard drive boot sector, meaning that control
has already been transferred from the BIOS to the hdd. BIOS access has to be
initiated before this point.

Are you certain that F10 is the proper key? The update may have changed
this. You'd have to consult with the BIOS supplier for details on changes
between the versions.

As well, upgrading the BIOS is rarely necessary unless you are trying to fix
a specific issue. Also, since many laptops have proprietary BIOS' from the
manufacturer, switching to a non-vendor supplied version may cause
additional, unknown issues. If you are unable to resolve this, the best
thing you can do is to revert to the original version.

Why is this holding you back from upgrading to Ultimate? If the existing
BIOS supported Home Premium, there's no reason it wouldn't support Ultimate.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"arico" <arico@false-email-id.com> wrote in message
Since I upgrading my BIOS (Phoenix technologies) V1.7 to V1.8, I can no
longer access the BIOS SETUP UTILITY MENU.

NOTE: the notebook is working fine, I can access the F2 boot and F8 advance
boot menu.

When I press F10 I get the following;

Edit windows boot options for: Microsoft Windows Vista
Path:\windows\system32\win load.exe
Partition:2
Hard Disk: 5c9d3909
E\NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT

MODEL: ACER ASPIRE 5735-4774. Vista. HP. 32. SP2

I don?Tt have a backup, how to I get the SETUP UTILITY,

I want to upgrade to ultimate this is holding my back.

arico

Re: BIOS SETUP UTITLY LOST

I updated the BIOS from acer website and since then I cannot find the BIOS setup utility even after hitting the F12 key.

There is another issue I recently changed one ram form 1gb to 2gb hence my notebook is now with 3gb ram, I did this on my own, since then I am getting one more error while booting [ media test failure, check cable] my hdd is in good condition, it seems I have to make few changes in the BIOS setup utility which I cannot access.

What if I change the OPTOUT to OPTIN at F10 will I be able to enter the bios?

-------------------------

"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:O7hTPoK1KHA.4420@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> If you're getting that, then you're hitting the setup key too late. That
> information is coming from the hard drive boot sector, meaning that control
> has already been transferred from the BIOS to the hdd. BIOS access has to be
> initiated before this point.
>
> Are you certain that F10 is the proper key? The update may have changed
> this. You'd have to consult with the BIOS supplier for details on changes
> between the versions.
>
> As well, upgrading the BIOS is rarely necessary unless you are trying to fix
> a specific issue. Also, since many laptops have proprietary BIOS' from the
> manufacturer, switching to a non-vendor supplied version may cause
> additional, unknown issues. If you are unable to resolve this, the best
> thing you can do is to revert to the original version.
>
> Why is this holding you back from upgrading to Ultimate? If the existing
> BIOS supported Home Premium, there's no reason it wouldn't support Ultimate.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "arico" <arico@false-email-id.com> wrote in message
> Since I upgrading my BIOS (Phoenix technologies) V1.7 to V1.8, I can no
> longer access the BIOS SETUP UTILITY MENU.
>
> NOTE: the notebook is working fine, I can access the F2 boot and F8 advance
> boot menu.
>
> When I press F10 I get the following;
>
> Edit windows boot options for: Microsoft Windows Vista
> Path:\windows\system32\win load.exe
> Partition:2
> Hard Disk: 5c9d3909
> E\NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT
>
> MODEL: ACER ASPIRE 5735-4774. Vista. HP. 32. SP2
>
> I don�?Tt have a backup, how to I get the SETUP UTILITY,
>
> I want to upgrade to ultimate this is holding my back.

Rick Rogers

Re: BIOS SETUP UTITLY LOST
Hi,

The Optin/Optout option is in regards to DEP, it has nothing to do with the
BIOS.

Does removing the memory stick you added cause the system to go back to
normal?

--

I updated the BIOS from acer website and since then I cannot find the BIOS
setup utility even after hitting the F12 key.

There is another issue I recently changed one ram form 1gb to 2gb hence my
notebook is now with 3gb ram, I did this on my own, since then I am getting
one more error while booting [ media test failure, check cable] my hdd is
in good condition, it seems I have to make few changes in the BIOS setup
utility which I cannot access.

What if I change the OPTOUT to OPTIN at F10 will I be able to enter the
bios?

-------------------------

> Hi,
>
> If you're getting that, then you're hitting the setup key too late. That
> information is coming from the hard drive boot sector, meaning that
> control
> has already been transferred from the BIOS to the hdd. BIOS access has to
> be
> initiated before this point.
>
> Are you certain that F10 is the proper key? The update may have changed
> this. You'd have to consult with the BIOS supplier for details on changes
> between the versions.
>
> As well, upgrading the BIOS is rarely necessary unless you are trying to
> fix
> a specific issue. Also, since many laptops have proprietary BIOS' from the
> manufacturer, switching to a non-vendor supplied version may cause
> additional, unknown issues. If you are unable to resolve this, the best
> thing you can do is to revert to the original version.
>
> Why is this holding you back from upgrading to Ultimate? If the existing
> BIOS supported Home Premium, there's no reason it wouldn't support
> Ultimate.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "arico" <arico@false-email-id.com> wrote in message
> Since I upgrading my BIOS (Phoenix technologies) V1.7 to V1.8, I can no
> longer access the BIOS SETUP UTILITY MENU.
>
> NOTE: the notebook is working fine, I can access the F2 boot and F8
> advance
> boot menu.
>
> When I press F10 I get the following;
>
> Edit windows boot options for: Microsoft Windows Vista
> Path:\windows\system32\win load.exe
> Partition:2
> Hard Disk: 5c9d3909
> E\NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT
>
> MODEL: ACER ASPIRE 5735-4774. Vista. HP. 32. SP2
>
> I don�?Tt have a backup, how to I get the SETUP UTILITY,
>
> I want to upgrade to ultimate this is holding my back.

arico

Re: BIOS SETUP UTITLY LOST

I did remove this stick and putting back the old one, the 1gb ram but still I get the same error while booting, I have to direct the path to fetch the files from hdd and not check for a cd rom, now this is the setting which I can get only at the BIOS SETUP UTILITY which is lost.

I followed every step that was required for flashing the new BIOS ver, and now its lost. I tried hitting all function keys to see the result but non brought up the SETUP UTILITY.

How can I get the BIOS SETUP UTILITY thats on hitting the F12 key during post.

--------------------------------
"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:uGX0xES1KHA.264@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "arico" <arico@false-email-id.com> wrote in message
>> Since I upgrading my BIOS (Phoenix technologies) V1.7 to V1.8, I can no
>> longer access the BIOS SETUP UTILITY MENU.
>>
>> NOTE: the notebook is working fine, I can access the F2 boot and F8
>> advance
>> boot menu.
>>
>> When I press F10 I get the following;
>>
>> Edit windows boot options for: Microsoft Windows Vista
>> Path:\windows\system32\win load.exe
>> Partition:2
>> Hard Disk: 5c9d3909
>> E\NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT
>>
>> MODEL: ACER ASPIRE 5735-4774. Vista. HP. 32. SP2
>>
>> I don�?Tt have a backup, how to I get the SETUP UTILITY,
>>
>> I want to upgrade to ultimate this is holding my back.

You may need to reflash it back to the previous BIOS version to regain
access. If the update instructions included backing up the old BIOS, then it
should also contain instructions on reverting to it. Otherwise, you will
need to obtain the original BIOS from the system manufacturer.

As an aside, have you considered trying a startup repair to get past the
boot options screen?

Be aware that this latter problem - the boot options screen - has nothing to
do with the problem accessing the BIOS.

--

> [...]

>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "arico" <arico@false-email-id.com> wrote in message
>> Since I upgrading my BIOS (Phoenix technologies) V1.7 to V1.8, I can no
>> longer access the BIOS SETUP UTILITY MENU.
>>
>> NOTE: the notebook is working fine, I can access the F2 boot and F8
>> advance
>> boot menu.
>>
>> When I press F10 I get the following;
>>
>> Edit windows boot options for: Microsoft Windows Vista
>> Path:\windows\system32\win load.exe
>> Partition:2
>> Hard Disk: 5c9d3909
>> E\NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT
>>
>> MODEL: ACER ASPIRE 5735-4774. Vista. HP. 32. SP2
>>
>> I don�?Tt have a backup, how to I get the SETUP UTILITY,
>>
>> I want to upgrade to ultimate this is holding my back.

Yeah I did that too, in-fact I flashed the bios many times which I found one should not do, I didn t do a back of my old bios, was advices to remove the clock battery, I didnt try it and thanks for the F10 advice now I know its for DEP, I will take my system to the service manufacture.

-----------------------
"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23hSfVOf1KHA.3652@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>>
>>> "arico" <arico@false-email-id.com> wrote in message
>>> Since I upgrading my BIOS (Phoenix technologies) V1.7 to V1.8, I can no
>>> longer access the BIOS SETUP UTILITY MENU.
>>>
>>> NOTE: the notebook is working fine, I can access the F2 boot and F8
>>> advance
>>> boot menu.
>>>
>>> When I press F10 I get the following;
>>>
>>> Edit windows boot options for: Microsoft Windows Vista
>>> Path:\windows\system32\win load.exe
>>> Partition:2
>>> Hard Disk: 5c9d3909
>>> E\NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT
>>>
>>> MODEL: ACER ASPIRE 5735-4774. Vista. HP. 32. SP2
>>>
>>> I don�?Tt have a backup, how to I get the SETUP UTILITY,
>>>
>>> I want to upgrade to ultimate this is holding my back.

arico

Re: BIOS SETUP UTITLY LOST

I went to the acer service center, they solved the problem both the BIOS SETUP which I can access now and the error of " MEDIA TEST FAILURE, CHECK CABLE " the charged me heavily though.

only its that I dont know what they did, but what ever they did they did it quickly, within five minutes.

thanks for your advice

> [...]
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>>
>>> "arico" <arico@false-email-id.com> wrote in message
>>> Since I upgrading my BIOS (Phoenix technologies) V1.7 to V1.8, I can no
>>> longer access the BIOS SETUP UTILITY MENU.
>>>
>>> NOTE: the notebook is working fine, I can access the F2 boot and F8
>>> advance
>>> boot menu.
>>>
>>> When I press F10 I get the following;
>>>
>>> Edit windows boot options for: Microsoft Windows Vista
>>> Path:\windows\system32\win load.exe
>>> Partition:2
>>> Hard Disk: 5c9d3909
>>> E\NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT
>>>
>>> MODEL: ACER ASPIRE 5735-4774. Vista. HP. 32. SP2
>>>
>>> I don�?Tt have a backup, how to I get the SETUP UTILITY,
>>>
>>> I want to upgrade to ultimate this is holding my back.

Setup doesnt see drive BIOS does o_O JayD microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 6 10-09-2009 11:04
can't reach BIOS setup gremme microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 12 06-07-2008 00:19
BIOS setup... vasso Software Problems 4 03-24-2008 14:30
BIOS SETUP PASSWORD John microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 2 11-29-2007 15:55
BIOS RAM SETUP Andrew McLaren microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 06-25-2007 10:33