No Sound

The Learner

No Sound
While trying to uninstall Comodo, I had an error and the computer froze.
I shut it off and it wouldn't boot - not even in Safe Mode. So I used
ERUNT to fix the Registry from a command prompt. Unfortunately, the
latest ERUNT file was corrupted - so I had to go back about a week. The
computer then booted, but I found many changes in some of my data and
settings. Also, I cannot get the sound to work. I again used ERUNT from
Windows with the same backup I used from the command prompt. All
indications on the computer indicate that the sound is working. But when
I try to test the speakers and microphone, I get a message which says
there is no sound. I have uninstalled the two sound items in Device
Manager and used find hardware to reinstall them. I even reinstalled the
drivers. Device Manager says there is no problem with the sound items
and they say they are working properly. What else can I try? I
apologize if I left out any information. If so, just ask. Thank you.
R. C. White

Re: No Sound
Hi, Learner.

> What else can I try? I
> apologize if I left out any information. If so, just ask. Thank you.

Well, how about which Windows version you are using? Yes, I know this is a
Vista newsgroup, but there are several flavors of Vista (Home Basic,
Ultimate, etc.; 32-bit and 64-bit; SP2, SP1 and RTM...) And we do get
plenty of Win7 users here, since MS has chosen to not provide any Win7
newsgroups.

Also, this may well be a hardware problem, so please give at least a minimal
description of your computer: Desktop or laptop? Make and model - of the
motherboard/CPU/video and sound cards, if you built it yourself? Basic
stuff like that would be a big help to anybody trying to help you.

I'm not familiar with Comodo, although I've heard it mentioned. HOW were
you trying to uninstall it? From Control Panel | Programs and Features?
What kind of "an error" did you see? You've told us a lot about what you
tried, but what we really need is a clear description of the actual problem.
It seems you have tried so many fixes that your original problem may not be
your only problem anymore. Your best approach may be to backup everything
you can and then re-install Windows.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 20:00:15 -0500, "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net>
wrote:

>Hi, Learner.
>
>> What else can I try? I
>> apologize if I left out any information. If so, just ask. Thank you.

>Well, how about which Windows version you are using?

Windows Home Premium 32 bit SP-2

Yes, I know this is a
>Vista newsgroup, but there are several flavors of Vista (Home Basic,
>Ultimate, etc.; 32-bit and 64-bit; SP2, SP1 and RTM...) And we do get
>plenty of Win7 users here, since MS has chosen to not provide any Win7
>newsgroups.
>
>Also, this may well be a hardware problem, so please give at least a minimal
>description of your computer: Desktop or laptop?

Laptop - HP

Make and model - of the
>motherboard/CPU/video and sound cards, if you built it yourself?

Don't know

Basic
>stuff like that would be a big help to anybody trying to help you.
>
>I'm not familiar with Comodo, although I've heard it mentioned. HOW were
>you trying to uninstall it? From Control Panel | Programs and Features?

Yes

>What kind of "an error" did you see?

It was an error message which was indecipherable by me

You've told us a lot about what you
>tried, but what we really need is a clear description of the actual problem.
>It seems you have tried so many fixes that your original problem may not be
>your only problem anymore. Your best approach may be to backup everything
>you can and then re-install Windows.

This is not an option..............

Thanks for any help you can give me.

>RC

R. C. White

Re: No Sound
HI, Learner.

OK. Vista Home Premium 32-bit w/SP2. On an anonymous HP Laptop.

>What kind of "an error" did you see?

It was an error message which was indecipherable by me

"Indecipherable by me" is why we always ask for the exact text of the
message, not a paraphrase. It's probably also indecipherable by me; I'm an
accountant, not a techie. But plenty of techies do read these newsgroups
and those "indecipherable" messages mean A LOT to them. By now, I suppose
the message is gone - or can you try to see it again? If you can read the
Event Logs, you may be able to find clues there.

At this point, your best bet might be to start a new thread. Other readers
who see that this thread has apparently already had a couple of responses
might skip to the next one. Put all that basic information in your FIRST
post. Include as much of the error message as you can, either from the
screen or from the log. All that "indecipherable" stuff is code that many
readers here can decipher and point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

RC
--

> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 20:00:15 -0500, "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi, Learner.
>>
>>> What else can I try? I
>>> apologize if I left out any information. If so, just ask. Thank you.

>>Well, how about which Windows version you are using?

> Windows Home Premium 32 bit SP-2
>
> Yes, I know this is a
>>Vista newsgroup, but there are several flavors of Vista (Home Basic,
>>Ultimate, etc.; 32-bit and 64-bit; SP2, SP1 and RTM...) And we do get
>>plenty of Win7 users here, since MS has chosen to not provide any Win7
>>newsgroups.
>>
>>Also, this may well be a hardware problem, so please give at least a
>>minimal
>>description of your computer: Desktop or laptop?

> Laptop - HP
>
> Make and model - of the
>>motherboard/CPU/video and sound cards, if you built it yourself?

> Don't know
>
> Basic
>>stuff like that would be a big help to anybody trying to help you.
>>
>>I'm not familiar with Comodo, although I've heard it mentioned. HOW were
>>you trying to uninstall it? From Control Panel | Programs and Features?

> Yes
>
>>What kind of "an error" did you see?

> It was an error message which was indecipherable by me
>
> You've told us a lot about what you
>>tried, but what we really need is a clear description of the actual
>>problem.
>>It seems you have tried so many fixes that your original problem may not
>>be
>>your only problem anymore. Your best approach may be to backup everything
>>you can and then re-install Windows.

> This is not an option..............
>
> Thanks for any help you can give me.
>

>>RC

The Learner

Re: No Sound
Thanks, but there's no way I can re-read the error message. I just found
out that it also placed many unsigned system files on my PC. I have a
real problem.