Vista freezes when copying files to external hdd

Cammo7447

Vista freezes when copying files to external hdd

Hi all,

recently I have been trying to back up all my movies pics etc to a
Lacie 1tb external hdd. We have had it for a while, it worked fine for
a month, then we started experiencing difficulties with it and it
remained in the too hard basket until now.

Basically, I am running vista home premium
premium on a Dell inspiron 6400 with 2gig ram (bought separately to
improve performance). When when copying files to the hdd windows simply
freezes. Anyone know of a fix for this? It's driving me nuts!

--
Cammo7447
PvdG42

Re: Vista freezes when copying files to external hdd

"Cammo7447" <Cammo7447.5ebaaa3@vistabanter.com> wrote in message

> Hi all,
>
> recently I have been trying to back up all my movies pics etc to a
> Lacie 1tb external hdd. We have had it for a while, it worked fine for
> a month, then we started experiencing difficulties with it and it
> remained in the too hard basket until now.
>
> Basically, I am running vista home premium
> premium on a Dell inspiron 6400 with 2gig ram (bought separately to
> improve performance). When when copying files to the hdd windows simply
> freezes. Anyone know of a fix for this? It's driving me nuts!
>

> --
> Cammo7447

What happens if you try to copy the same size/number files to the external
drive from a different PC/OS? That test would exonerate or convict the drive
itself.

Cammo7447

PvdG42;906156 Wrote:
> "Cammo7447" Cammo7447.5ebaaa3@vistabanter.com wrote in message
>
> Hi all,
>
> recently I have been trying to back up all my movies pics etc to a
> Lacie 1tb external hdd. We have had it for a while, it worked fine
> for
> a month, then we started experiencing difficulties with it and it
> remained in the too hard basket until now.
>
> Basically, I am running vista home premium
> premium on a Dell inspiron 6400 with 2gig ram (bought separately to
> improve performance). When when copying files to the hdd windows
> simply
> freezes. Anyone know of a fix for this? It's driving me nuts!
>

> --
> Cammo7447-
>
> What happens if you try to copy the same size/number files to the
> external
> drive from a different PC/OS? That test would exonerate or convict the
> drive
> itself.

I cant say that ive tried... ill get back to you...

--
Cammo7447
kristain

RE: Vista freezes when copying files to external hdd
I was also facing the same problem. I completely restore Vista partition. However, in the middle of the restore from USB Hard disk drive, the backup complained about faulty archive and I ended up with no working C: partition. I reinstalled Vista and almost all the programs. However, as the reinstall started from a situation, where there was empty space instead of C:, I noticed only after the install that Vista had set the BCD boot files to D:, while the Vista is quite correctly installed to the recreated C: