Blue Screen upon USB Drive Insertion

Domenick

Blue Screen upon USB Drive Insertion
I've been using this SwissMemory USB drive for a couple years now on the same
computer system (an HP Pavillion notebook, Vista Ultimate 32-bit). As of
just yesterday, I can no longer access the drive. As soon as I plug it in, I
get a Blue Screen with the Stop Error 0x8E and my computer reboots. If I plug
the drive in before windows finishes booting, I can access the drive just
fine. However, anytime I plug the device in while Windows is already running,
I immediately get the Blue Screen and a reboot.

I've tried reformatting the flash drive, but it still happens. Any
suggestions on how to correct this? Drive seems to work fine when inserted
into my other system running XP. The notebook is only a couple years old so I
don't think that it is hardware failure. Could I have corrupt drivers? Which
drivers? I've tried some other flash drives and most of them work. However,
sometimes I am presented witht he prompt that "My device could run faster..."
but I know the notebook and the flash drives are both USB 2.0. Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Domenick

RE: Blue Screen upon USB Drive Insertion
P.S. Could this also be caused by McAfee or other anti-virus software? I
recently had to do a McAfee update that required a reboot.

"Domenick" wrote:

> I've been using this SwissMemory USB drive for a couple years now on the same
> computer system (an HP Pavillion notebook, Vista Ultimate 32-bit). As of
> just yesterday, I can no longer access the drive. As soon as I plug it in, I
> get a Blue Screen with the Stop Error 0x8E and my computer reboots. If I plug
> the drive in before windows finishes booting, I can access the drive just
> fine. However, anytime I plug the device in while Windows is already running,
> I immediately get the Blue Screen and a reboot.
>
> I've tried reformatting the flash drive, but it still happens. Any
> suggestions on how to correct this? Drive seems to work fine when inserted
> into my other system running XP. The notebook is only a couple years old so I
> don't think that it is hardware failure. Could I have corrupt drivers? Which
> drivers? I've tried some other flash drives and most of them work. However,
> sometimes I am presented witht he prompt that "My device could run faster..."
> but I know the notebook and the flash drives are both USB 2.0. Any help would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you.

Badger

Re: Blue Screen upon USB Drive Insertion
If you have more than one Anti-Virus program running,
Try disabling them one at a time to see if it lets you plug in your drive.