MS mouse and keyboard - Windows keeps wanting to install drivers

Andrew Murray

MS mouse and keyboard - Windows keeps wanting to install drivers
My system is Vista Ultimate. I have a wired MS basic optical mouse 'v2.0'
Optical, and wired MS keyboard 600.

When Windows has started, it keeps wanting to install device drivers for the
keyboard and mouse even though they work OK. In device manager they are
loaded correctly as "Microsoft Wired Optical Mouse 2.0" and "Microsoft Wired
Keyboard 600" but the system still detects these as "new hardware" and runs
the hardware detection wizard thing and tries to find the drivers for these
on the HDD and through Windows Update, even though they are already running
with the latest drivers. The "Intelli" software is version 7.1.

I have tried:

- Uninstalling (deleting) the mouse and keyboard from Device Manager and
letting the system redetect and reinstall them (eventually returns to same
problem).

- Uninstalled and reinstalled the Intellipoint / Intellitype software.

- Plugged Mouse/Keyboard into different USB ports.

I don't have another alternate keyboard or mouse (PS/2 style) to try at this
time. This problem's not really serious, just annoying. Meantime, any
suggestions to resolve this will be helpful.

Thanks.

--
_________________________

Andrew M

Andrew Murray

Re: MS mouse and keyboard - Windows keeps wanting to install drivers
I have a work around for this issue.

I managed to reinstall my wireless mouse/keyboard set but still wonder why
Windows couldn't install even a "basic" driver for the kb/mouse as below.

I'm now running Intellisense 6.1.

I have a feeling that the hardware installer wizard is looking for the CD
information and won't recognise the Intelli- software files as stand alone
because I tried the search and it says it can't find the driver files. Have
the Intelli software 6.1 on CD and it installed without issues for the
wireless k/b and mouse.

I'm still interested in a solution for the problem below.

"Andrew Murray" <admurray.antispam@nospam.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> My system is Vista Ultimate. I have a wired MS basic optical mouse
> 'v2.0' Optical, and wired MS keyboard 600.
>
> When Windows has started, it keeps wanting to install device drivers for
> the keyboard and mouse even though they work OK. In device manager they
> are loaded correctly as "Microsoft Wired Optical Mouse 2.0" and "Microsoft
> Wired Keyboard 600" but the system still detects these as "new hardware"
> and runs the hardware detection wizard thing and tries to find the drivers
> for these on the HDD and through Windows Update, even though they are
> already running with the latest drivers. The "Intelli" software is
> version 7.1.
>
> I have tried:
>
> - Uninstalling (deleting) the mouse and keyboard from Device Manager and
> letting the system redetect and reinstall them (eventually returns to same
> problem).
>
> - Uninstalled and reinstalled the Intellipoint / Intellitype software.
>
> - Plugged Mouse/Keyboard into different USB ports.
>
> I don't have another alternate keyboard or mouse (PS/2 style) to try at
> this time. This problem's not really serious, just annoying. Meantime,
> any suggestions to resolve this will be helpful.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> _________________________
>
> Andrew M

13th_Panther's Avatar

13th_Panther is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: MS mouse and keyboard - Windows keeps wanting to install drivers
in the control panel click on the keyboard 2 tabs speed and hard ware click on the hardware there should show 2 types or more let me know just what is showing in there .

Last edited by 13th_Panther : 03-12-2010 at 23:05. Reason: info

"13th_Panther" <13th_Panther.47qe4d@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:13th_Panther.47qe4d@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> it sounds to me like windows still is tring to install the mouse and
> key board .
> it might not be compatible with your system .
>
> also you can go into windows update and on the left side click where it
> reads restore hidden updates or hide updates .
>
> then you can remove them from the list in the updates .
>

> --
> 13th_Panther

Thanks for the reply.

Microsoft hardware not compatible with Microsoft Windows? That's a first.

However the system requirements state for the Keyboard: Win 7, Vista, XP and
for the Mouse: Vista, XP, 2000, 98. The mouse packaging says "Certified for
Windows Vista", the keyboard packaging says "Compatible with Windows 7".

There are no hidden updates to do with drivers/hardware - only a bunch of
language packs that I don't use.