Refresh Rate too high...how to fix it?

FusionFocus

Refresh Rate too high...how to fix it?

I have a 22 inch widescreen monitor and a 9500GT nVidia graphics card. I
noticed that the icons and the font in Vista was rather large earlier,
so I tried to fix it. I accidentally set the refresh rate too high, and
now I'm in Safe Mode trying to see how I can fix this so I can return to
normal mode.

I've tried restoring the system back to 2.18.10, but it didn't work.
All it did was load up the files and such from that date. I still can't
access Normal Mode without a blank screen and a small white window that
says "no signal". I tried going to the display settings and selected
"use hardware default settings", but it made no difference. I tried to
load the nVidia dashboard, but as I've discovered, refresh rates cannot
be changed in Safe Mode. Also, I've read that I could go into "Device
Manager" and uninstall the monitor/driver or whatever, but I don't feel
comfortable uninstalling those things, since I've managed to screw up my
settings this far, and there's no telling what would happen if I messed
while trying to uninstall it.

Is there any way I can fix this? And will uninstalling the monitor and
driver software in "Device Manager" really reset it instead of actually
uninstalling it? Plain language please. I'm not all that fluent in
technical speak.

--
FusionFocus
Curious

Re: Refresh Rate too high...how to fix it?
Whil you are in safe mode just reset the resolution and refresh rate to what
you want and those new settings will be in effect the next time you boot in
normal mode.

"FusionFocus" <FusionFocus.5c617e3@vistabanter.com> wrote in message

> I have a 22 inch widescreen monitor and a 9500GT nVidia graphics card. I
> noticed that the icons and the font in Vista was rather large earlier,
> so I tried to fix it. I accidentally set the refresh rate too high, and
> now I'm in Safe Mode trying to see how I can fix this so I can return to
> normal mode.
>
> I've tried restoring the system back to 2.18.10, but it didn't work.
> All it did was load up the files and such from that date. I still can't
> access Normal Mode without a blank screen and a small white window that
> says "no signal". I tried going to the display settings and selected
> "use hardware default settings", but it made no difference. I tried to
> load the nVidia dashboard, but as I've discovered, refresh rates cannot
> be changed in Safe Mode. Also, I've read that I could go into "Device
> Manager" and uninstall the monitor/driver or whatever, but I don't feel
> comfortable uninstalling those things, since I've managed to screw up my
> settings this far, and there's no telling what would happen if I messed
> while trying to uninstall it.
>
> Is there any way I can fix this? And will uninstalling the monitor and
> driver software in "Device Manager" really reset it instead of actually
> uninstalling it? Plain language please. I'm not all that fluent in
> technical speak.
>

> --
> FusionFocus

FusionFocus

'Curious[_6_ Wrote:
> ;902523']Whil you are in safe mode just reset the resolution and refresh
> rate to what
> you want and those new settings will be in effect the next time you
> boot in
> normal mode.
>
> "FusionFocus" FusionFocus.5c617e3@vistabanter.com wrote in message
>
> I have a 22 inch widescreen monitor and a 9500GT nVidia graphics card.
> noticed that the icons and the font in Vista was rather large
> earlier,
> so I tried to fix it. I accidentally set the refresh rate too high,
> and
> now I'm in Safe Mode trying to see how I can fix this so I can return
> normal mode.
>
> I've tried restoring the system back to 2.18.10, but it didn't work.
> All it did was load up the files and such from that date. I still
> can't
> access Normal Mode without a blank screen and a small white window
> that
> says "no signal". I tried going to the display settings and selected
> "use hardware default settings", but it made no difference. I tried
> load the nVidia dashboard, but as I've discovered, refresh rates
> cannot
> be changed in Safe Mode. Also, I've read that I could go into "Device
> Manager" and uninstall the monitor/driver or whatever, but I don't
> feel
> comfortable uninstalling those things, since I've managed to screw up
> my
> settings this far, and there's no telling what would happen if I
> messed
> while trying to uninstall it.
>
> Is there any way I can fix this? And will uninstalling the monitor
> and
> driver software in "Device Manager" really reset it instead of
> actually
> uninstalling it? Plain language please. I'm not all that fluent in
> technical speak.
>

> --
> FusionFocus -

Hmm, are you sure that isn't exclusively for Windows XP and below? It
didn't show up in Safe Mode.

Anyway, I'd like to thank you for your help, but I already found the
solution to my problem by uninstalling my driver and installing an
up-to-date one.

--
FusionFocus
Curious

Re: Refresh Rate too high...how to fix it?
It is in all versions.
When in Safe Mode and you change the display resolution you are not changing
the resolution to be used in Safe Mode because you can't you are changing
the resolution settings for Normal Mode. If it did not work this way no
one would be able to recover from problems like yours.