External drives

iowabucks

External drives

Hey everyone, i just got my 500gb Seagate drive back after it bricked
from the little firmware issue they had. I also just purchased a 1TB WD
drive. I don't really trust the Seagate any more and want to use the 1tb
drive as a backup. I had backed up everything 6 months ago but it's
amazing how much stuff you accumulate in 6 months time.

I am not too knowledgable in hardrives. Not enough to do anything
complicated. Right now i am running Vista Ultimate 64 on the Seagate.
Could i put another copy of Vista on the 1tb drive and just copy what i
want over to it? That way if the Seagate dies again i can go right to
the other drive. This will not be an external drive, just another bare
drive in the bay.

I realize i'm not going about it the best or most efficient way. Some
people have explained better ways but most of it was over my head. I
just want to be able to unplug the bad drive (if it goes bad) and
continue with the other drive.

So, would i run into any problems with Vista (not dual boot of course)
on both my drives? Does it sound like this approach would work?

Thanks, Jerry.

--
iowabucks

/ Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H mobo / AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition / Nvidea
GTX 260 / Sound Blaster X-FI Elite Pro / Corsair Dominator DDRII 4090 MB
1066 / Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500gb / Zalman CNPS9700 CPU fan /
Enermax Liberty 620W PSU / Vista Ultimate 64bit SP2
DL

Re: External drives
The simplest way IMO is to buy an imaging program, eg Acronis TI.
This would create a complete image of your installation on the other drive,
and if you use the the schedule option would keep the image files up to date

"iowabucks" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hey everyone, i just got my 500gb Seagate drive back after it bricked
> from the little firmware issue they had. I also just purchased a 1TB WD
> drive. I don't really trust the Seagate any more and want to use the 1tb
> drive as a backup. I had backed up everything 6 months ago but it's
> amazing how much stuff you accumulate in 6 months time.
>
> I am not too knowledgable in hardrives. Not enough to do anything
> complicated. Right now i am running Vista Ultimate 64 on the Seagate.
> Could i put another copy of Vista on the 1tb drive and just copy what i
> want over to it? That way if the Seagate dies again i can go right to
> the other drive. This will not be an external drive, just another bare
> drive in the bay.
>

> I realize i'm not going about it the best or most efficient way. Some
> people have explained better ways but most of it was over my head. I
> just want to be able to unplug the bad drive (if it goes bad) and
> continue with the other drive.
>
> So, would i run into any problems with Vista (not dual boot of course)
> on both my drives? Does it sound like this approach would work?
>
> Thanks, Jerry.
>

> --
> iowabucks
>
> / Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H mobo / AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition / Nvidea
> GTX 260 / Sound Blaster X-FI Elite Pro / Corsair Dominator DDRII 4090 MB
> 1066 / Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500gb / Zalman CNPS9700 CPU fan /
> Enermax Liberty 620W PSU / Vista Ultimate 64bit SP2

pacinitaly

Re: External drives

download this and clone the drive (proportional)

'DiscWizard | Seagate'
(http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD)

--
pacinitaly

SpellCherkers aren't worth a shirt ya no

If I helped you, please tip my scales. If I have not, curse me out like
a drunken sailor
iowabucks

Re: External drives

DiscWizard sounds like what i'm looking for.

Is it possible to make a clone of my drive with an OS and leave it
hooked up to my motherboard so i can migrate what information i want,
when i want, or will i have a problem with two drives each with the same
OS?

iowabucks;1231817 Wrote:
> DiscWizard sounds like what i'm looking for.
>
> Is it possible to make a clone of my drive with an OS and leave it
> hooked up to my motherboard so i can migrate what information i want,
> when i want, or will i have a problem with two drives each with the same
> OS?

there will be a CLONE=exact image of the old drive.
you will have all the stuff from the original.arty:

--
pacinitaly

SpellCherkers aren't worth a shirt ya no

If I helped you, please tip my scales. If I have not, curse me out like
a drunken sailor
iowabucks

Re: External drives

I started the Disc Wizard clone but backed out because i still have a
few questions.

If i make a clone of the original drive, would i be able to leave the
clone hooked up to the mobo afterwards, or would i be better off taking
it out?

I currently have the first drive set as drive C and F (2 partitions).
It looks like it will name the clone C and F also. Will i be able to
change the drive letters to G and H and leave it attached to the
motherboard to transfer data from one drive to the other later?

I guess i'm just trying to figure out how to keep them both hooked up
and back them up occationally.

Thanks, Jerry

--
iowabucks

/ Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H mobo / AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition / Nvidea
GTX 260 / Sound Blaster X-FI Elite Pro / Corsair Dominator DDRII 4090 MB
1066 / Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500gb / Zalman CNPS9700 CPU fan /
Enermax Liberty 620W PSU / Vista Ultimate 64bit SP2
pacinitaly

Re: External drives

sorry, I clone every 4-6weeks (33minutes) I don't worry about having
both drives available. I only do this in case I mess up something then I
can just go back to the cloned drive and start over.

Have you thought about a raid, nas or something like that kind of set
up?

--
pacinitaly

SpellCherkers aren't worth a shirt ya no

If I helped you, please tip my scales. If I have not, curse me out like
a drunken sailor
iowabucks

Re: External drives

I guess i wouldn't necessarily need to keep them both hooked up, as long
as i back them up every month or two.

So this cloned drive has an OS on it and is basiclly wiped out and
rewritten every time you clone? Or just the extra data added to it?

Thanks for the help so far, sorry about all the questions. I just want
to make sure i know what i'm doing first before i start. I thought about
a raid setup and have been doing some reading on it but don't beleive
i'm up to the task.

Thanks, Jerry.

iowabucks;1233154 Wrote:
> I guess i wouldn't necessarily need to keep them both hooked up, as long
> as i back them up every month or two.
>
> So this cloned drive has an OS on it and is basiclly wiped out and
> rewritten every time you clone? Or just the extra data added to it?
>
> Thanks for the help so far, sorry about all the questions. I just want
> to make sure i know what i'm doing first before i start. I thought about
> a raid setup and have been doing some reading on it but don't beleive
> i'm up to the task.
>
> Thanks, Jerry.

me either

it's an exact copy of your current drive.

I play around and if something goes wrong, I just put the cloned drive
in and reclone and go on. I clone monthly just to have a *real* backup.