Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

no network connections after windows update

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2010
Domd
 

Posts: n/a
no network connections after windows update
Hi all I recently updated my vista home and since then I have no network
connections whatsoever.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for my Intel pro/wireless
3945 ABG network connection and it still doesnt work.

I emailed microsoft support and after 2 days they said check the knowledge
base or post here...

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2010
Barb Bowman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: no network connections after windows update
Have you tried a system restore to a point before you performed this update?
WHAT did you update exactly?

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:27:01 -0800, Domd <Domd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi all I recently updated my vista home and since then I have no network
>connections whatsoever.
>
>I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for my Intel pro/wireless
>3945 ABG network connection and it still doesnt work.
>
>I emailed microsoft support and after 2 days they said check the knowledge
>base or post here...
>
>Any ideas?

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2010
Domd
 

Posts: n/a
Re: no network connections after windows update
Hey Barb, thanks for the reply

I'm not sure what updated, it was an automatic update and restarted the
computer. I'll try a system restore.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> Have you tried a system restore to a point before you performed this update?
> WHAT did you update exactly?
>
> On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:27:01 -0800, Domd <Domd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi all I recently updated my vista home and since then I have no network
> >connections whatsoever.
> >
> >I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for my Intel pro/wireless
> >3945 ABG network connection and it still doesnt work.
> >
> >I emailed microsoft support and after 2 days they said check the knowledge
> >base or post here...
> >
> >Any ideas?

> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
> .
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2010
Domd
 

Posts: n/a
Re: no network connections after windows update
Ok i tried system restore and windows couldnt restore the system, I tried a
few different dates.

I plugged in the laptop direct with the ethernet cable and it still doesnt
recognise or cant find any network connections.

"Domd" wrote:

> Hey Barb, thanks for the reply
>
> I'm not sure what updated, it was an automatic update and restarted the
> computer. I'll try a system restore.
>
> "Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
> > Have you tried a system restore to a point before you performed this update?
> > WHAT did you update exactly?
> >
> > On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:27:01 -0800, Domd <Domd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi all I recently updated my vista home and since then I have no network
> > >connections whatsoever.
> > >
> > >I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for my Intel pro/wireless
> > >3945 ABG network connection and it still doesnt work.
> > >
> > >I emailed microsoft support and after 2 days they said check the knowledge
> > >base or post here...
> > >
> > >Any ideas?

> > Barb Bowman
> > MS-MVP
> > http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
> > http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
> > .
> >

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2010
Barb Bowman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: no network connections after windows update
can you please go into control panel/programs/show installed updates. sort by
date and see if you can determine what the update was and uninstall that?




On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 07:42:02 -0800, Domd <Domd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Ok i tried system restore and windows couldnt restore the system, I tried a
>few different dates.
>
>I plugged in the laptop direct with the ethernet cable and it still doesnt
>recognise or cant find any network connections.
>
>"Domd" wrote:
>
>> Hey Barb, thanks for the reply
>>
>> I'm not sure what updated, it was an automatic update and restarted the
>> computer. I'll try a system restore.
>>
>> "Barb Bowman" wrote:
>>
>> > Have you tried a system restore to a point before you performed this update?
>> > WHAT did you update exactly?
>> >
>> > On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:27:01 -0800, Domd <Domd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > >Hi all I recently updated my vista home and since then I have no network
>> > >connections whatsoever.
>> > >
>> > >I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for my Intel pro/wireless
>> > >3945 ABG network connection and it still doesnt work.
>> > >
>> > >I emailed microsoft support and after 2 days they said check the knowledge
>> > >base or post here...
>> > >
>> > >Any ideas?
>> > Barb Bowman
>> > MS-MVP
>> > http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
>> > http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
>> > .
>> >

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2010
Domd
 

Posts: n/a
Re: no network connections after windows update
Hey Barb

there were a number of updates, mainly security ones and also service pack 2
for vista (which I couldnt uninstall) I uninstalled the others and still no
luck.

I check the network connections as well, when I click on ipv4 and ipv6 there
is no option to uninstall but only to install. When i click to install
however it provides 3 options, client, services and protocol each of which
does not show any drivers.

Im lost with this.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> can you please go into control panel/programs/show installed updates. sort by
> date and see if you can determine what the update was and uninstall that?
>
>
>
>
> On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 07:42:02 -0800, Domd <Domd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Ok i tried system restore and windows couldnt restore the system, I tried a
> >few different dates.
> >
> >I plugged in the laptop direct with the ethernet cable and it still doesnt
> >recognise or cant find any network connections.
> >
> >"Domd" wrote:
> >
> >> Hey Barb, thanks for the reply
> >>
> >> I'm not sure what updated, it was an automatic update and restarted the
> >> computer. I'll try a system restore.
> >>
> >> "Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >>
> >> > Have you tried a system restore to a point before you performed this update?
> >> > WHAT did you update exactly?
> >> >
> >> > On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:27:01 -0800, Domd <Domd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >> >
> >> > >Hi all I recently updated my vista home and since then I have no network
> >> > >connections whatsoever.
> >> > >
> >> > >I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for my Intel pro/wireless
> >> > >3945 ABG network connection and it still doesnt work.
> >> > >
> >> > >I emailed microsoft support and after 2 days they said check the knowledge
> >> > >base or post here...
> >> > >
> >> > >Any ideas?
> >> > Barb Bowman
> >> > MS-MVP
> >> > http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
> >> > http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
> >> > .
> >> >

> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
> .
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2010
Barb Bowman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: no network connections after windows update
I can't tell from your reply if you just recently installed SP2 but at this
point, I think you should try to reset the TCP/IP stack. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 07:12:01 -0800, Domd <Domd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hey Barb
>
>there were a number of updates, mainly security ones and also service pack 2
>for vista (which I couldnt uninstall) I uninstalled the others and still no
>luck.
>
>I check the network connections as well, when I click on ipv4 and ipv6 there
>is no option to uninstall but only to install. When i click to install
>however it provides 3 options, client, services and protocol each of which
>does not show any drivers.
>
>Im lost with this.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> can you please go into control panel/programs/show installed updates. sort by
>> date and see if you can determine what the update was and uninstall that?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 07:42:02 -0800, Domd <Domd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Ok i tried system restore and windows couldnt restore the system, I tried a
>> >few different dates.
>> >
>> >I plugged in the laptop direct with the ethernet cable and it still doesnt
>> >recognise or cant find any network connections.
>> >
>> >"Domd" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hey Barb, thanks for the reply
>> >>
>> >> I'm not sure what updated, it was an automatic update and restarted the
>> >> computer. I'll try a system restore.
>> >>
>> >> "Barb Bowman" wrote:
>> >>
>> >> > Have you tried a system restore to a point before you performed this update?
>> >> > WHAT did you update exactly?
>> >> >
>> >> > On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:27:01 -0800, Domd <Domd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> >> >
>> >> > >Hi all I recently updated my vista home and since then I have no network
>> >> > >connections whatsoever.
>> >> > >
>> >> > >I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for my Intel pro/wireless
>> >> > >3945 ABG network connection and it still doesnt work.
>> >> > >
>> >> > >I emailed microsoft support and after 2 days they said check the knowledge
>> >> > >base or post here...
>> >> > >
>> >> > >Any ideas?
>> >> > Barb Bowman
>> >> > MS-MVP
>> >> > http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
>> >> > http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
>> >> > .
>> >> >

>> Barb Bowman
>> MS-MVP
>> http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
>> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
>> .
>>

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2010
Domd
 

Posts: n/a
Re: no network connections after windows update
Hey Barb

Thanks again

Yes SP2 was installed along with the updates on the 10/02, I couldnt
uninstall SP2.

I have tried the fix you suggested and this also does not work.

When windows loads an error message states that the depedancy or group
failed to start (something like that).



"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> I can't tell from your reply if you just recently installed SP2 but at this
> point, I think you should try to reset the TCP/IP stack. See
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
>
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 07:12:01 -0800, Domd <Domd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hey Barb
> >
> >there were a number of updates, mainly security ones and also service pack 2
> >for vista (which I couldnt uninstall) I uninstalled the others and still no
> >luck.
> >
> >I check the network connections as well, when I click on ipv4 and ipv6 there
> >is no option to uninstall but only to install. When i click to install
> >however it provides 3 options, client, services and protocol each of which
> >does not show any drivers.
> >
> >Im lost with this.
> >
> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> can you please go into control panel/programs/show installed updates. sort by
> >> date and see if you can determine what the update was and uninstall that?
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 07:42:02 -0800, Domd <Domd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> >Ok i tried system restore and windows couldnt restore the system, I tried a
> >> >few different dates.
> >> >
> >> >I plugged in the laptop direct with the ethernet cable and it still doesnt
> >> >recognise or cant find any network connections.
> >> >
> >> >"Domd" wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> Hey Barb, thanks for the reply
> >> >>
> >> >> I'm not sure what updated, it was an automatic update and restarted the
> >> >> computer. I'll try a system restore.
> >> >>
> >> >> "Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >> >>
> >> >> > Have you tried a system restore to a point before you performed this update?
> >> >> > WHAT did you update exactly?
> >> >> >
> >> >> > On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:27:01 -0800, Domd <Domd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >> >> >
> >> >> > >Hi all I recently updated my vista home and since then I have no network
> >> >> > >connections whatsoever.
> >> >> > >
> >> >> > >I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for my Intel pro/wireless
> >> >> > >3945 ABG network connection and it still doesnt work.
> >> >> > >
> >> >> > >I emailed microsoft support and after 2 days they said check the knowledge
> >> >> > >base or post here...
> >> >> > >
> >> >> > >Any ideas?
> >> >> > Barb Bowman
> >> >> > MS-MVP
> >> >> > http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
> >> >> > http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
> >> >> > .
> >> >> >
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS-MVP
> >> http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
> >> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
> >> .
> >>

> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
> .
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2010
Barb Bowman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: no network connections after windows update
Please provide the exact error message. Also check the Windows Event viewers.

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 05:43:02 -0800, Domd <Domd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When windows loads an error message states that the depedancy or group
>failed to start (something like that).

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-25-2010
Domd
 

Posts: n/a
Re: no network connections after windows update
Hey Barb

This is what windows says in the bottom right hand corner

"Failed to connect to a windows service

Wondows could not connect to a system event notification service. This
problem prevents limited users from logging on to the system. As an
administrative user, you can review the system event log details about why
the service didnt respond."

Then when i try to bring up the windows event log it says the following;


"Event log service is unavailable. Verify the service is running."


Seems this is a catch-22.




"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> Please provide the exact error message. Also check the Windows Event viewers.
>
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 05:43:02 -0800, Domd <Domd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >When windows loads an error message states that the depedancy or group
> >failed to start (something like that).

> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
> .
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
After XP Pro SP3 update, network connections don't show Bacchus41 microsoft.public.windowsupdate 17 10-08-2008 20:18
Network Connections disappeared in Network sharing center oseni abiola microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 06-15-2008 07:50
Manage Network Connections Window Crashing Windows Explorer Nikus microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 01-21-2008 04:27
Article ID: 927546 You see only four available wireless network connections when you use a USB-based wireless network adapter in Windows XP or in Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Windows Vista number of network connections Giannis Hatzioannou microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 05-20-2007 21:25




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:28.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120