Nvidia graphics drivers and 64 bit

phypps

Nvidia graphics drivers and 64 bit
My (new) computer currently has 100 series drivers.
The 158 series drivers would appear to resolve a couple of (minor) issues I
have, and possibly offer better performance.
BUT...
Knowing how fussy x64 is about drivers. Are all the released versions of
the 158 series OK to install?
(I notice that the latest is a beta). Should I wait for Certified versions
or can I use any of the officially released versions?
I ask because I am not sure about the difference between Certified or
Signed, and which are required.
I am further concerned by the fact that attempting to install nTune screwed
up my system badly (though I did manage to get back to a clean system)
Also, how relevant is the advice to turn off antivirus software? Is it
important or just a generic warning just in case?
Lastly, do I need to "run as administrator" in order for the installation to
proceed correctly?
(Mind you, would these have affected nTune failing to install properly, or
would the latest version of nTune expect to find the 158 series drivers?)
Sorry, one last point. Should I uninstall the previous drivers myself, or
let the new driver installation do the uninstall itself?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Phypps

Carlos

RE: Nvidia graphics drivers and 64 bit
Phypps:
You will se different opinions/results on the 158 series.
I am running them (Biostar NV7600GT, Vista x64) with no problems.
Others have reported issues.

nTune has caused me more problems than solutions.
If you want better performance, then upgrade your microprocessor, graphic
cards, go RAID, etc.
Overclocking gives marginal benefits (and heat).

I have never turned off the Antivirus for installing graphic drivers and
this has caused me no problems.

I have started to run the NVidia drivers installer as Administrator, but
just as a precaution (better safe than sorry).

Hope this answers your (multiple) questions.
Carlos