Why Cant Vista recognize my NTFS Storage Partition

Taps

Why Cant Vista recognize my NTFS Storage Partition
Hello

I have a new Dell Machine with Vista Business and had an old machine with a
additional 300 Gig ST330063 SCSCI Drive. I was basically using the drive
for storage of photos and some music. However, when i added it to my machine
it recognizes it but i cannot access my files. Here are the list of problems
that i am having.
1) Says i have to format it to access it
2)Only recognizing 150 Gig instead of 300 and yes i have checked for updates
3)Wont let me make the Partition active (although it does show its active
already)
Even after Changing Drive Paths it wont recognize it. I have had the info
on this drive for 5 years and have had no problems previously in XP pro when
i was moving it from PC to PC

Thanks You
Taps

RE: Why Cant Vista recognize my NTFS Storage Partition
Correction i have a SATA Drive

"Taps" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a new Dell Machine with Vista Business and had an old machine with a
> additional 300 Gig ST330063 SCSCI Drive. I was basically using the drive
> for storage of photos and some music. However, when i added it to my machine
> it recognizes it but i cannot access my files. Here are the list of problems
> that i am having.
> 1) Says i have to format it to access it
> 2)Only recognizing 150 Gig instead of 300 and yes i have checked for updates
> 3)Wont let me make the Partition active (although it does show its active
> already)
> Even after Changing Drive Paths it wont recognize it. I have had the info
> on this drive for 5 years and have had no problems previously in XP pro when
> i was moving it from PC to PC
>
> Thanks You

Cal Bear '66

Re: Why Cant Vista recognize my NTFS Storage Partition
Have you tried taking ownership/giving yourself full permissions for the drive
on the Securities tab of the drive's properties?

"Taps" <Taps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Correction i have a SATA Drive
>
> "Taps" wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I have a new Dell Machine with Vista Business and had an old machine with a
>> additional 300 Gig ST330063 SCSCI Drive. I was basically using the drive
>> for storage of photos and some music. However, when i added it to my machine
>> it recognizes it but i cannot access my files. Here are the list of problems
>> that i am having.
>> 1) Says i have to format it to access it
>> 2)Only recognizing 150 Gig instead of 300 and yes i have checked for updates
>> 3)Wont let me make the Partition active (although it does show its active
>> already)
>> Even after Changing Drive Paths it wont recognize it. I have had the info
>> on this drive for 5 years and have had no problems previously in XP pro when
>> i was moving it from PC to PC
>>
>> Thanks You

Taps

Re: Why Cant Vista recognize my NTFS Storage Partition
I checked on the drive and there is no Securities tab on the secondary Sata
Drive. Any ideas. I really dont want to format this drive. Another issue is
that Vista is only seeing 128Gig instead of 300G, and on the file system it
says RAW yet it was NTFS before on the XP machine

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Have you tried taking ownership/giving yourself full permissions for the drive
> on the Securities tab of the drive's properties?
>

> "Taps" <Taps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Correction i have a SATA Drive
> >
> > "Taps" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> I have a new Dell Machine with Vista Business and had an old machine with a
> >> additional 300 Gig ST330063 SCSCI Drive. I was basically using the drive
> >> for storage of photos and some music. However, when i added it to my machine
> >> it recognizes it but i cannot access my files. Here are the list of problems
> >> that i am having.
> >> 1) Says i have to format it to access it
> >> 2)Only recognizing 150 Gig instead of 300 and yes i have checked for updates
> >> 3)Wont let me make the Partition active (although it does show its active
> >> already)
> >> Even after Changing Drive Paths it wont recognize it. I have had the info
> >> on this drive for 5 years and have had no problems previously in XP pro when
> >> i was moving it from PC to PC
> >>
> >> Thanks You

Cal Bear '66

Re: Why Cant Vista recognize my NTFS Storage Partition
Right click Computer>Manage, highlight Disk Management
What does the graphical window show for your drive?
Can you assign it a drive letter?
You can also right click on the drive and it should have a Security tab.

>I checked on the drive and there is no Securities tab on the secondary Sata
> Drive. Any ideas. I really dont want to format this drive. Another issue is
> that Vista is only seeing 128Gig instead of 300G, and on the file system it
> says RAW yet it was NTFS before on the XP machine
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried taking ownership/giving yourself full permissions for the
>> drive
>> on the Securities tab of the drive's properties?
>>

>> "Taps" <Taps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Correction i have a SATA Drive

jaems

Re: Why Cant Vista recognize my NTFS Storage Partition
Hello,
I'm having the exact same problem on a external Firewire drive.

There are no firmware or software updates for the drive or 1394 controller
card. I've looked at the Dell site, the 1394 manufactures site, Maxtor's
site, Windows Update and have been looking at troubleshooting help for almost
2 hours.

It mounts at (F, simple layout, basic disk, then shows the file system as
RAW and that it is 128GB (it is a 250GB). The right-click menu and
Properties window do not show a Security tab.

I am using a brand new Dell Dimension E520 with Vista Ultimate, the 1394
controller is a PCI card.

thanks