SuperAntiSpyware Professional Expires Prematurely

Paul Calcagno

SuperAntiSpyware Professional Expires Prematurely
My son's HP laptop (Vista Basic, Firefox, 1.5 GB RAM) has been running quite
well with MBAM, SuperAntiSpyware Professional installed for about a month.
No viruses, malware, spyware so far. Windows Defender is active. My son's
not dilligent about installing WU's so he's about 2 months behind.

All of sudden the free-to-try version of SuperAntiSpyware professional says
it's expired after only 30 days. An uninstall and re-install did
nothing.---the programs still says it's expired right after the install
completes. It's possible that a system restore was done a few weeks ago for
another issue. Could this have screwed up the program timer?

If we tried to download a fresh version of the program to a flash drive and
Run if from there, would that set the timer clock back to zero?

Does anyone have a work-around so that we can get either another year on
this program or the rest of the time `due us' back?

Thanks.................Paul C.

Andrew Murray

Re: SuperAntiSpyware Professional Expires Prematurely
Assuming you are referring to this product
(http://www.superantispyware.com/) - I suggest you contact their support -
or post a message to their help forum - http://forums.superantispyware.com/

Maybe the System Restore did influence this, but the Super Antispyware
people would be more likely to know if this affects their product or have
had any other known issues with S.R. and expiring trials too early.

This is really posted off-topic as it has nothing to do with "Windows
Hardware Devices".

"Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> My son's HP laptop (Vista Basic, Firefox, 1.5 GB RAM) has been running
> quite well with MBAM, SuperAntiSpyware Professional installed for about a
> month. No viruses, malware, spyware so far. Windows Defender is active. My
> son's not dilligent about installing WU's so he's about 2 months behind.
>
> All of sudden the free-to-try version of SuperAntiSpyware professional
> says it's expired after only 30 days. An uninstall and re-install did
> nothing.---the programs still says it's expired right after the install
> completes. It's possible that a system restore was done a few weeks ago
> for another issue. Could this have screwed up the program timer?
>
> If we tried to download a fresh version of the program to a flash drive
> and Run if from there, would that set the timer clock back to zero?
>
> Does anyone have a work-around so that we can get either another year on
> this program or the rest of the time `due us' back?
>
> Thanks.................Paul C.

DL

Re: SuperAntiSpyware Professional Expires Prematurely
You can set WU for automatic install of Critical updates.
I dont see any mention on their site as to how long the pro trial lasts for,
30 days would not be unisuall
If you trial the product and after expiry uninstall then reinstall there
will be some entry in the registry that show the trial has expired, so you
cannot trial again

> My son's HP laptop (Vista Basic, Firefox, 1.5 GB RAM) has been running
> quite well with MBAM, SuperAntiSpyware Professional installed for about a
> month. No viruses, malware, spyware so far. Windows Defender is active. My
> son's not dilligent about installing WU's so he's about 2 months behind.
>
> All of sudden the free-to-try version of SuperAntiSpyware professional
> says it's expired after only 30 days. An uninstall and re-install did
> nothing.---the programs still says it's expired right after the install
> completes. It's possible that a system restore was done a few weeks ago
> for another issue. Could this have screwed up the program timer?
>
> If we tried to download a fresh version of the program to a flash drive
> and Run if from there, would that set the timer clock back to zero?
>
> Does anyone have a work-around so that we can get either another year on
> this program or the rest of the time `due us' back?
>
> Thanks.................Paul C.

Paul Calcagno

Re: SuperAntiSpyware Professional Expires Prematurely
Thanks, Andrew. I'll contact the help forum you kindly provided.

I forgot to mention on my original post that the normal trial time for
SuperAntiSpyware Professional is 365 days, so having it expire after only 30
days seems odd.
I wasn't sure where to post this question. Part of the reason I asked this
forum is that a lot of the MVP's that respond to other folks' issue are in
the habit of recommending SuperAntiSpyware so I thought someone might know
something about how the trial period works.

Paul C.

"Andrew Murray" <admurray.antispam@nospam.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> Assuming you are referring to this product
> (http://www.superantispyware.com/) - I suggest you contact their support -
> or post a message to their help forum -
> http://forums.superantispyware.com/
>
> Maybe the System Restore did influence this, but the Super Antispyware
> people would be more likely to know if this affects their product or have
> had any other known issues with S.R. and expiring trials too early.
>
> This is really posted off-topic as it has nothing to do with "Windows
> Hardware Devices".
>

> "Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>> My son's HP laptop (Vista Basic, Firefox, 1.5 GB RAM) has been running
>> quite well with MBAM, SuperAntiSpyware Professional installed for about a
>> month. No viruses, malware, spyware so far. Windows Defender is active.
>> My son's not dilligent about installing WU's so he's about 2 months
>> behind.
>>
>> All of sudden the free-to-try version of SuperAntiSpyware professional
>> says it's expired after only 30 days. An uninstall and re-install did
>> nothing.---the programs still says it's expired right after the install
>> completes. It's possible that a system restore was done a few weeks ago
>> for another issue. Could this have screwed up the program timer?
>>
>> If we tried to download a fresh version of the program to a flash drive
>> and Run if from there, would that set the timer clock back to zero?
>>
>> Does anyone have a work-around so that we can get either another year on
>> this program or the rest of the time `due us' back?
>>
>> Thanks.................Paul C.

Paul Calcagno

Re: SuperAntiSpyware Professional Expires Prematurely
DL, the normal trial period for this scanner is 365 days. I have it
installed on another computer and it's been running fine for 6 months with
about 180 days left on the trial, so having it expire after 30 days is
unusual. Paul C.

"DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
> You can set WU for automatic install of Critical updates.
> I dont see any mention on their site as to how long the pro trial lasts
> for, 30 days would not be unisuall
> If you trial the product and after expiry uninstall then reinstall there
> will be some entry in the registry that show the trial has expired, so you
> cannot trial again
>
> "Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>> My son's HP laptop (Vista Basic, Firefox, 1.5 GB RAM) has been running
>> quite well with MBAM, SuperAntiSpyware Professional installed for about a
>> month. No viruses, malware, spyware so far. Windows Defender is active.
>> My son's not dilligent about installing WU's so he's about 2 months
>> behind.
>>
>> All of sudden the free-to-try version of SuperAntiSpyware professional
>> says it's expired after only 30 days. An uninstall and re-install did
>> nothing.---the programs still says it's expired right after the install
>> completes. It's possible that a system restore was done a few weeks ago
>> for another issue. Could this have screwed up the program timer?
>>
>> If we tried to download a fresh version of the program to a flash drive
>> and Run if from there, would that set the timer clock back to zero?
>>
>> Does anyone have a work-around so that we can get either another year on
>> this program or the rest of the time `due us' back?
>>
>> Thanks.................Paul C.

DL

Re: SuperAntiSpyware Professional Expires Prematurely
Where on the site does it say 365 days?

> DL, the normal trial period for this scanner is 365 days. I have it
> installed on another computer and it's been running fine for 6 months with
> about 180 days left on the trial, so having it expire after 30 days is
> unusual. Paul C.
>
> "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
>> You can set WU for automatic install of Critical updates.
>> I dont see any mention on their site as to how long the pro trial lasts
>> for, 30 days would not be unisuall
>> If you trial the product and after expiry uninstall then reinstall there
>> will be some entry in the registry that show the trial has expired, so
>> you cannot trial again
>>
>> "Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> My son's HP laptop (Vista Basic, Firefox, 1.5 GB RAM) has been running
>>> quite well with MBAM, SuperAntiSpyware Professional installed for about
>>> a month. No viruses, malware, spyware so far. Windows Defender is
>>> active. My son's not dilligent about installing WU's so he's about 2
>>> months behind.
>>>
>>> All of sudden the free-to-try version of SuperAntiSpyware professional
>>> says it's expired after only 30 days. An uninstall and re-install did
>>> nothing.---the programs still says it's expired right after the install
>>> completes. It's possible that a system restore was done a few weeks ago
>>> for another issue. Could this have screwed up the program timer?
>>>
>>> If we tried to download a fresh version of the program to a flash drive
>>> and Run if from there, would that set the timer clock back to zero?
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a work-around so that we can get either another year on
>>> this program or the rest of the time `due us' back?
>>>
>>> Thanks.................Paul C.

David B.

Re: SuperAntiSpyware Professional Expires Prematurely
You apparently can't read, from the SAS website "SUPERAntiSpyware
Professional offers a 15-day fully functional free trial. You may try all
features unrestricted."

"Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> DL, the normal trial period for this scanner is 365 days. I have it
> installed on another computer and it's been running fine for 6 months with
> about 180 days left on the trial, so having it expire after 30 days is
> unusual. Paul C.
>
> "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
>> You can set WU for automatic install of Critical updates.
>> I dont see any mention on their site as to how long the pro trial lasts
>> for, 30 days would not be unisuall
>> If you trial the product and after expiry uninstall then reinstall there
>> will be some entry in the registry that show the trial has expired, so
>> you cannot trial again
>>
>> "Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> My son's HP laptop (Vista Basic, Firefox, 1.5 GB RAM) has been running
>>> quite well with MBAM, SuperAntiSpyware Professional installed for about
>>> a month. No viruses, malware, spyware so far. Windows Defender is
>>> active. My son's not dilligent about installing WU's so he's about 2
>>> months behind.
>>>
>>> All of sudden the free-to-try version of SuperAntiSpyware professional
>>> says it's expired after only 30 days. An uninstall and re-install did
>>> nothing.---the programs still says it's expired right after the install
>>> completes. It's possible that a system restore was done a few weeks ago
>>> for another issue. Could this have screwed up the program timer?
>>>
>>> If we tried to download a fresh version of the program to a flash drive
>>> and Run if from there, would that set the timer clock back to zero?
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a work-around so that we can get either another year on
>>> this program or the rest of the time `due us' back?
>>>
>>> Thanks.................Paul C.

Paul Calcagno

Re: SuperAntiSpyware Professional Expires Prematurely
DL. It doesn't say on the site that the trial period is 365 days but it says
so on the Application window that opens up. On my other computer it shows on
the app window that I have 179 days left on my trial and it gives the date
that the trial expires. When I first installed the app, it said I had 365
days until the trial expired. Apparently what's happened is that the trial
time has recently been modified from 365 days to 15 days (the latter number
IS stated on the site).

> Where on the site does it say 365 days?
>
> "Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>> DL, the normal trial period for this scanner is 365 days. I have it
>> installed on another computer and it's been running fine for 6 months
>> with about 180 days left on the trial, so having it expire after 30 days
>> is unusual. Paul C.
>>
>> "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> You can set WU for automatic install of Critical updates.
>>> I dont see any mention on their site as to how long the pro trial lasts
>>> for, 30 days would not be unisuall
>>> If you trial the product and after expiry uninstall then reinstall there
>>> will be some entry in the registry that show the trial has expired, so
>>> you cannot trial again

Paul Calcagno

Re: SuperAntiSpyware Professional Expires Prematurely
David B. I can read just fine.

It doesn't say on the site that the trial period is 365 days but it says so
on the Application window that opens up on my other computer. It shows on
that window that I have "158 days left on my trial and says that the trial
expires on 7/12/2010". When I first installed the app, it said I had 365
days until the trial expired. Apparently what's happened is that the trial
time has recently been modified from 365 days to 15 days (the latter number
IS stated on the website). Whether that's actually true or not doesn't
matter. The fact remains that my trial version was originally good for 1
year, but now that's changed. And I didn't know this when I installed the
same program on my son's computer. Based on others' comments, it looks like
my son will not be able to re-install this program and his only recourse is
to buy it. The site offers the non-Professional version of SuperAntispyware
on a CD for $10 which is probably a good deal.

Paul C.

"David B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
> You apparently can't read, from the SAS website "SUPERAntiSpyware
> Professional offers a 15-day fully functional free trial. You may try all
> features unrestricted."

> "Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>> DL, the normal trial period for this scanner is 365 days. I have it
>> installed on another computer and it's been running fine for 6 months
>> with about 180 days left on the trial, so having it expire after 30 days
>> is unusual. Paul C.
>>
>> "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> You can set WU for automatic install of Critical updates.
>>> I dont see any mention on their site as to how long the pro trial lasts
>>> for, 30 days would not be unisuall
>>> If you trial the product and after expiry uninstall then reinstall there
>>> will be some entry in the registry that show the trial has expired, so
>>> you cannot trial again

PvdG42

> David B. I can read just fine.
>
> It doesn't say on the site that the trial period is 365 days but it says
> so on the Application window that opens up on my other computer. It shows
> on that window that I have "158 days left on my trial and says that the
> trial expires on 7/12/2010". When I first installed the app, it said I had
> 365 days until the trial expired. Apparently what's happened is that the
> trial time has recently been modified from 365 days to 15 days (the latter
> number IS stated on the website). Whether that's actually true or not
> doesn't matter. The fact remains that my trial version was originally good
> for 1 year, but now that's changed. And I didn't know this when I
> installed the same program on my son's computer. Based on others'
> comments, it looks like my son will not be able to re-install this program
> and his only recourse is to buy it. The site offers the non-Professional
> version of SuperAntispyware on a CD for $10 which is probably a good deal.
>
> Paul C.

Maybe not. If by "non-Professional version" you mean the *free* for home
users version available for download here:

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispyware.html

Why not just have your son download and use it? The free version has worked
very well here.