Networking a scanner??

oldman@old.net

Networking a scanner??
I have a home network with three PC's. Two desktops and a laptop. In
the network is a Samsung SCX-4725 FN multifunction printer/scanner.
All computers can print on the 4725. At present it is connected via a
usb cable to the Vista PC. A NIC cable connects it to the network via
an Airlink wireless router whose wired setup is as a switch.

The scanner function is seen on the Vista computer as an imaging
device.

Is there a way to have the scanner capability shared so that documents
can be scanned to either desktop PC ?

If you need additional data to assist me with this problem please
request.

TIA
Bruce Chambers

Re: Networking a scanner??
oldman@old.net wrote:
> I have a home network with three PC's. Two desktops and a laptop. In
> the network is a Samsung SCX-4725 FN multifunction printer/scanner.
> All computers can print on the 4725. At present it is connected via a
> usb cable to the Vista PC. A NIC cable connects it to the network via
> an Airlink wireless router whose wired setup is as a switch.
>
> The scanner function is seen on the Vista computer as an imaging
> device.
>
> Is there a way to have the scanner capability shared so that documents
> can be scanned to either desktop PC ?
>
> If you need additional data to assist me with this problem please
> request.
>
> TIA

Normally, input devices cannot be shared, at all, but this isn't
always true of scanners. You'll be able to share the scanner *only* if
it's manufacturer provided specialized software for that purpose.

You have to use a network-capable scanner (which immediately
eliminates most, if not all, USB scanners) and specialized software
(that comes with the scanner) to do this. If you're talking about a
home consumer grade flatbed USB or parallel port scanner, you very
probably can't.

HP, Canon, Xerox, OcÚ, Kyocera Mita, and other companies
manufacture network capable scanners (They're actually multi-function
devices that also copy, print, and sometimes fax and email) and the
requisite specialized software. The cost of such devices usually starts
somewhere just below $5,000.00 USD.

The HP PrecisionScan Pro application, versions 2.03 and higher,
which normally comes with some of HP's low-end business scanners,
permits some of the scanning functions to be shared. Consult the
documentation that came with the scanner. (I know it works, if not very
well; I've set up HP ScanJet 6300C and 7490C devices to be shared, using
the supplied software.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Curious

Re: Networking a scanner??
My wireless. HP 4-in 1, printer, copier, fax, and scanner which cost $150
came with HP software so that I scan from it to any of the computers on my
network.
Contact Samsung for the required software.