Another IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL situation

dasgregorian

Another IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL situation

So, I've been getting the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD for the last
couple weeks. Lately it's down to a couple times per hour. Quite
horrible.

error Description:
Windows detected a new device attached to your computer, but could not
find the driver software it needs to make the device usable. Each device
manufacturer typically includes driver software of a CD that comes with
the device, or as a download from its website. The hardware ID of your
device is ACPI\ATK0110.

the "ACPI\ATK0110" device seems to be my ASUS motherboard (ASUS M2A-VM
AM2 AMD 690G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard). It was a home-built computer,
so I still have the disc (But it was built properly, I've had it 2 years
and this is the first problem). Anywho, I ran the disc to update the
drivers... it said the drivers were installed... maybe 45 minutes later,
it crashed. I went to the ASUS web site to get the most up-to-date
drivers... crashed again within an hour.

So, considering that this happens after an hour or so of use (not
during start up), on a system that's been running fine for quite some
time... can it be anything other than my motherboard just being fried?
I thought about throwing out a reformat just in case... but of course I
can find my legit windows XP disc... but no sign of the CD key that
makes it worth anything. (The person who built the computer put Vista
on it, and I can't get ahold of him for the CD key he used... he wisely
didn't give it to me, because I'd have lost it anyway).

Any help would be appreciated, kthx.

--
dasgregorian
PvdG42

Re: Another IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL situation

"dasgregorian" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> So, I've been getting the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD for the last
> couple weeks. Lately it's down to a couple times per hour. Quite
> horrible.
>
> error Description:
> Windows detected a new device attached to your computer, but could not
> find the driver software it needs to make the device usable. Each device
> manufacturer typically includes driver software of a CD that comes with
> the device, or as a download from its website. The hardware ID of your
> device is ACPI\ATK0110.
>
> the "ACPI\ATK0110" device seems to be my ASUS motherboard (ASUS M2A-VM
> AM2 AMD 690G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard). It was a home-built computer,
> so I still have the disc (But it was built properly, I've had it 2 years
> and this is the first problem). Anywho, I ran the disc to update the
> drivers... it said the drivers were installed... maybe 45 minutes later,
> it crashed. I went to the ASUS web site to get the most up-to-date
> drivers... crashed again within an hour.
>
> So, considering that this happens after an hour or so of use (not
> during start up), on a system that's been running fine for quite some
> time... can it be anything other than my motherboard just being fried?
> I thought about throwing out a reformat just in case... but of course I
> can find my legit windows XP disc... but no sign of the CD key that
> makes it worth anything. (The person who built the computer put Vista
> on it, and I can't get ahold of him for the CD key he used... he wisely
> didn't give it to me, because I'd have lost it anyway).
>
> Any help would be appreciated, kthx.
>

> --
> dasgregorian

As your computer still runs, sort of, you can use a program such as Belarc
Advisor:

http://belarc.com/free_download.html

to obtain information on your hardware and installed software, including the
install key information.

Note that the key for your installed Vista will not work with your XP CD.

dasgregorian

Re: Another IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL situation

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I didn't know I could use that to track
down the key I'd already used. I know I'd need an XP key for my XP
install... and I used a unique vista disc/key when I had it built... but
that disc is locked away in a storage somewhere (guy who built me the
computer's going through a divorce and his stuff's in boxes)... so I may
be able to track down a friend's physical disc, but use my unique Vista
Key. That should work at least as far as the reformat goes... whether
the reformat will fix the problem or not remains to be seen... I just
hope the motherboard isn't physically trashed.

--
dasgregorian
R. C. White

Re: Another IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL situation
Hi, dasgregorian.

When I see this line:
> So, considering that this happens after an hour or so of use (not
> during start up), on a system that's been running fine for quite some

I automatically think of heat buildup. Any recent (2 weeks ago?) changes in
the computer environment? New hardware added into or near the computer?
When was the last time it was cleaned and had the dust bunnies removed? All
fans spinning - at the right speeds? (No cables interfering with fan
blades?) Is it Summer in your part of the world now?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"dasgregorian" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> So, I've been getting the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD for the last
> couple weeks. Lately it's down to a couple times per hour. Quite
> horrible.
>
> error Description:
> Windows detected a new device attached to your computer, but could not
> find the driver software it needs to make the device usable. Each device
> manufacturer typically includes driver software of a CD that comes with
> the device, or as a download from its website. The hardware ID of your
> device is ACPI\ATK0110.
>
> the "ACPI\ATK0110" device seems to be my ASUS motherboard (ASUS M2A-VM
> AM2 AMD 690G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard). It was a home-built computer,
> so I still have the disc (But it was built properly, I've had it 2 years
> and this is the first problem). Anywho, I ran the disc to update the
> drivers... it said the drivers were installed... maybe 45 minutes later,
> it crashed. I went to the ASUS web site to get the most up-to-date
> drivers... crashed again within an hour.
>
> So, considering that this happens after an hour or so of use (not
> during start up), on a system that's been running fine for quite some
> time... can it be anything other than my motherboard just being fried?
> I thought about throwing out a reformat just in case... but of course I
> can find my legit windows XP disc... but no sign of the CD key that
> makes it worth anything. (The person who built the computer put Vista
> on it, and I can't get ahold of him for the CD key he used... he wisely
> didn't give it to me, because I'd have lost it anyway).
>
> Any help would be appreciated, kthx.
>

> --
> dasgregorian

dasgregorian

Re: Another IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL situation

> When I see this line:
> Quote:
>
> > So, considering that this happens after an hour or so of use (not
> > during start up), on a system that's been running fine for quite

> some
> I automatically think of heat buildup. Any recent (2 weeks ago?)
> changes in
> the computer environment? New hardware added into or near the
> computer?
> When was the last time it was cleaned and had the dust bunnies removed?
> All
> fans spinning - at the right speeds? (No cables interfering with fan
> blades?) Is it Summer in your part of the world now?

Nope. January=winter up in washington state (right next to canada).
House is usually around 60 degrees or so. I've cleaned it maybe 3 weeks
ago pretty thoroughly. But, all the fans are spinning just fine. No
new hardware since it started doing this. Also, since I game on it, I
take overprecautions against over-heating... not only do I have the
internal fans, but I took the side off and have a box fan the size of my
case right up next to the thing... so it's got a LOT of ventilation.
Also, I have sensors going to the PCU, video card, and a couple other
places that will set off an alarm if it gets close to overheating (Then
I just turn the fan from low to medium and it goes back down).

The timing may suggest overheating, but could that actually cause this
particular "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" error?

Also, I used the belarc advisor to get the CD key I'd used. I'll be
reformatting tomorrow unless I get any other idears.

--
dasgregorian
Rick Kennedy

My fix for IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
I had the IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem for weeks in early 2010 (XP Pro). My investigations informed me that it was probably a bad PCI network card....but it was not. Finally, (after weeks of my wife nagging me for poor web performance and crashing blue screens etc.) the program 'combofix' diagnosed an 'MBR rootkit infection' (master boot record)...and I used the fix file MBR.exe to fix it. All is well now. No BSOD's for 2 weeks now and webpages are fine and fast as ever.

dasgregorian wrote:

Another IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL situation
29-Jan-10

So, I have been getting the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD for the last
couple weeks. Lately it is down to a couple times per hour. Quite
horrible.

error Description:
Windows detected a new device attached to your computer, but could not
find the driver software it needs to make the device usable. Each device
manufacturer typically includes driver software of a CD that comes with
the device, or as a download from its website. The hardware ID of your
device is ACPI\ATK0110.

the "ACPI\ATK0110" device seems to be my ASUS motherboard (ASUS M2A-VM
AM2 AMD 690G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard). It was a home-built computer,
so I still have the disc (But it was built properly, I have had it 2 years
and this is the first problem). Anywho, I ran the disc to update the
drivers... it said the drivers were installed... maybe 45 minutes later,
it crashed. I went to the ASUS web site to get the most up-to-date
drivers... crashed again within an hour.

So, considering that this happens after an hour or so of use (not
during start up), on a system that is been running fine for quite some
time... can it be anything other than my motherboard just being fried?
I thought about throwing out a reformat just in case... but of course I
can find my legit windows XP disc... but no sign of the CD key that
makes it worth anything. (The person who built the computer put Vista
on it, and I cannot get ahold of him for the CD key he used... he wisely
did not give it to me, because I'd have lost it anyway).

Any help would be appreciated, kthx.

--
dasgregorian

On Friday, January 29, 2010 7:37 AM
dasgregorian wrote:

[...]

On Friday, January 29, 2010 9:21 AM
PvdG42 wrote:

As your computer still runs, sort of, you can use a program such as
As your computer still runs, sort of, you can use a program such as Belarc
Advisor:

http://belarc.com/free_download.html

to obtain information on your hardware and installed software, including the
install key information.

Note that the key for your installed Vista will not work with your XP CD.

On Friday, January 29, 2010 6:30 PM
dasgregorian wrote:

Thanks, I will give that a shot.
Thanks, I will give that a shot. I did not know I could use that to track
down the key I'd already used. I know I'd need an XP key for my XP
install... and I used a unique vista disc/key when I had it built... but
that disc is locked away in a storage somewhere (guy who built me the
computer's going through a divorce and his stuff's in boxes)... so I may
be able to track down a friend's physical disc, but use my unique Vista
Key. That should work at least as far as the reformat goes... whether
the reformat will fix the problem or not remains to be seen... I just
hope the motherboard is not physically trashed.

--
dasgregorian

On Saturday, January 30, 2010 11:11 AM
R. C. White wrote:

Hi, dasgregorian.When I see this line:I automatically think of heat buildup.
Hi, dasgregorian.

When I see this line:

I automatically think of heat buildup. Any recent (2 weeks ago?) changes in
the computer environment? New hardware added into or near the computer?
When was the last time it was cleaned and had the dust bunnies removed? All
fans spinning - at the right speeds? (No cables interfering with fan
blades?) Is it Summer in your part of the world now?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP

On Saturday, January 30, 2010 10:50 PM
dasgregorian wrote:

Nope. January=winter up in washington state (right next to canada).
Nope. January=winter up in washington state (right next to canada).
House is usually around 60 degrees or so. I have cleaned it maybe 3 weeks
ago pretty thoroughly. But, all the fans are spinning just fine. No
new hardware since it started doing this. Also, since I game on it, I
take overprecautions against over-heating... not only do I have the
internal fans, but I took the side off and have a box fan the size of my
case right up next to the thing... so it is got a LOT of ventilation.
Also, I have sensors going to the PCU, video card, and a couple other
places that will set off an alarm if it gets close to overheating (Then
I just turn the fan from low to medium and it goes back down).

The timing may suggest overheating, but could that actually cause this
particular "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" error?

Also, I used the belarc advisor to get the CD key I'd used. I will be
reformatting tomorrow unless I get any other idears.

--
dasgregorian

Dr. Dotnetsky's Cool .Net Tips and Tricks No. 26
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-cool-net.aspx