Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Interesting Microsoft's wireless mouse project: line of sight or what?

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2010
Hillbilly
 

Posts: n/a
Interesting Microsoft's wireless mouse project: line of sight or what?
I've never used wireless mice or keyboards before and need to learn how
reliable they are when used in "proximity" to a small form factor PC that
will be mounted "behind" a HDTV mounted to a wall. I'm planning to put the
keyboard and mouse in a box mounted to the wall just below the HDTV hung on
the wall inches above. When the lid of the box is opened it will swing down
like a tray holding the keyboard and mouse but I don't know if this will be
allow the keyboard and mouse to operate?

How would Microsoft's wireless keyboard and mice work then? I'll continue to
do some looking around but any help to determine how these things actually
work so I can know the range and limits will be very helpful to me thank
you...

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2010
Richard G. Harper
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Interesting Microsoft's wireless mouse project: line of sight or what?
These devices use radio frequency communications, not infrared; so they
don't need to have direct line of sight. They are highly range-limited
though so your plan may or may not work.

"Hillbilly" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:e$Ymm7EoKHA.3948@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> I've never used wireless mice or keyboards before and need to learn how
> reliable they are when used in "proximity" to a small form factor PC that
> will be mounted "behind" a HDTV mounted to a wall. I'm planning to put the
> keyboard and mouse in a box mounted to the wall just below the HDTV hung
> on the wall inches above. When the lid of the box is opened it will swing
> down like a tray holding the keyboard and mouse but I don't know if this
> will be allow the keyboard and mouse to operate?
>
> How would Microsoft's wireless keyboard and mice work then? I'll continue
> to do some looking around but any help to determine how these things
> actually work so I can know the range and limits will be very helpful to
> me thank you...


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2010
Hillbilly
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Interesting Microsoft's wireless mouse project: line of sight or what?
Microsoft's wireless keyboard runs on batteries? How long might they last
would you know?

"Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23Sfa0zGoKHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> These devices use radio frequency communications, not infrared; so they
> don't need to have direct line of sight. They are highly range-limited
> though so your plan may or may not work.
>
> "Hillbilly" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:e$Ymm7EoKHA.3948@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> I've never used wireless mice or keyboards before and need to learn how
>> reliable they are when used in "proximity" to a small form factor PC that
>> will be mounted "behind" a HDTV mounted to a wall. I'm planning to put
>> the keyboard and mouse in a box mounted to the wall just below the HDTV
>> hung on the wall inches above. When the lid of the box is opened it will
>> swing down like a tray holding the keyboard and mouse but I don't know if
>> this will be allow the keyboard and mouse to operate?
>>
>> How would Microsoft's wireless keyboard and mice work then? I'll continue
>> to do some looking around but any help to determine how these things
>> actually work so I can know the range and limits will be very helpful to
>> me thank you...

>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2010
R. C. White
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Interesting Microsoft's wireless mouse project: line of sight or what?
Hi, Hillbilly.

There are several different wireless desktops (keyboard and mouse), and they
use more than one wireless technology.

I'm far from an expert on these things, but I've used several wireless sets,
from both Logitech and Microsoft. The first ones I used were not truly
"wireless". They had a cable about 6' long running to a fist-sized
transceiver that sitting on a bookshelf a few feet to the side of my
monitor, well above my computer case on the floor. These needed to be near
line-of-sight, but were not terribly picky about that. Another set used a
Bluetooth dongle; this did not require line-of-sight; I didn't use this set
very long, partly because of problems with getting and keeping the sender
and receivers "paired".

My current set is version 3.0 of the Microsoft Wireless Desktop Laser 6000,
which uses 2.4 GHz wireless. As Richard said, this does not require
line-of-sight, and distance has not been a problem in my small office.

Battery life also has not been a major concern, although they do have to be
replaced now and then. I've not tried to record the frequency, but it has
not been bothersome in my case.

There are a couple of non-obvious problems that bothered me but night not
concern you. First, I gave away that Bluetooth set because I could not
dual-boot with it. Bluetooth would not work until Windows was started and
loaded the BT drivers. This meant that I could not choose among WinXP and
various Vista beta builds because the keyboard wasn't working at the point
when the choice needed to be made, so I was locked into the default OS each
time. Other desktop sets had similar problems depending on WHICH USB port
the dongle was plugged into. If I plugged it into the port on the
motherboard, it worked, but if I plugged it into a 4-port hub which was
plugged into an add-on USB PCI card, it had problems similar to the
Bluetooth dilemma. Now that I've got the hub plugged onto the mobo port,
that problem has been eliminated.

The other problem was keyboard narcolepsy, or "sleeping sickness". When the
2.4 GHz transceiver is plugged into a USB port on the back of the computer
case, there seemed to be some kind of interference because the keyboard
would simply stop responding, often right in the middle of a word! No
keystroke would register for almost 2 minutes. Then it would wake up and
continue normally for some random length of time before going to sleep
again. I could solve this problem by moving the transceiver to the hub, a
foot or two closer to the keyboard on my desk - but then I had the "can't
dual-boot" problem again - until I changed the USB port for the hub itself.

Everything is fine now, but maybe my long narrative will give you some hints
of points to check out before you choose which desktop set to get - and
where to position the components. I DO like this Laser 6000 set, version
3.0. (The mouse still says v. 2.0.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64

"Hillbilly" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:Ome$0#IoKHA.5520@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Microsoft's wireless keyboard runs on batteries? How long might they last
> would you know?
>
> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23Sfa0zGoKHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> These devices use radio frequency communications, not infrared; so they
>> don't need to have direct line of sight. They are highly range-limited
>> though so your plan may or may not work.
>>
>> "Hillbilly" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> news:e$Ymm7EoKHA.3948@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>> I've never used wireless mice or keyboards before and need to learn how
>>> reliable they are when used in "proximity" to a small form factor PC
>>> that will be mounted "behind" a HDTV mounted to a wall. I'm planning to
>>> put the keyboard and mouse in a box mounted to the wall just below the
>>> HDTV hung on the wall inches above. When the lid of the box is opened it
>>> will swing down like a tray holding the keyboard and mouse but I don't
>>> know if this will be allow the keyboard and mouse to operate?
>>>
>>> How would Microsoft's wireless keyboard and mice work then? I'll
>>> continue to do some looking around but any help to determine how these
>>> things actually work so I can know the range and limits will be very
>>> helpful to me thank you...


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista requires line of sight for wireless lofar microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 4 10-08-2008 17:39
Microsoft's Security Intelligence Report looks interesting if you could only download it Steve Security News 0 04-22-2008 16:50
New bug-a-day project targets Microsoft's ActiveX Steve Security News 0 05-04-2007 10:54
New bug-a-day project targets Microsoft's ActiveX Steve Security News 0 05-02-2007 18:28
Microsoft's new project -> Vienna ? =?Utf-8?B?UGFuZGFfbWFu?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 24 03-01-2007 14:34




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:00.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120