Drives

Stoney E. Whitaker

Drives
Would someone please explain to me what 'J' and 'K' drives are when using a jump drive. How does it work? 'J' drive appears only when the drive is plugged in and sometimes I get a 'disc drive' which is called 'K' drive right along with it. Thanks.

--
Stoney E. Whitaker
R. C. White

Re: Drives
Hi, Stoney.

This sounds like a job for...Disk Management!

Many users have not yet found Disk Management, but it is one of the most
useful - and powerful - utilities in every Windows version starting with
Windows 2000, ten years ago.

There's a long click path to Disk Management but I prefer to simply press
Start, then type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter. You'll need Administrator
credentials because you can do some serious damage to your system if you
misuse this utility. Maximize the window so you are not working through a
keyhole, and widen the Status column so that you can see what it is trying
to tell you. Study the Help file - just the Disk Management portion, not
all the stuff for the Microsoft Management Console, of which Disk Management
is only a part.

Disk Management manages hard disk drives, of course, and just about anything
else that can be assigned a "drive" letter, such as CD/DVD drives, USB thumb
drives, digital cameras and card readers, network drives, and maybe some
other devices that I haven't even heard of.

When you plug in a device, such as a "jump drive" (also called by several
other names, such as a USB flash drive or thumb drive), Disk Management
assigns it the next available letter in the English alphabet. If you
already have enough hard drive volumes, CD/DVD drives, etc., to use the
letters from C: to I:, then the next devices will become J: and K:. When
you remove those jump drives, those letters will become available again and
might be assigned to the next device plugged in - another jump drive or a
card reader or whatever.

Using Disk Management, you can assign letters of your choice, rather than
let them be assigned arbitrarily by the system. Once you've assigned a
letter to a device, the system will try to use that same letter for the same
device next time you remove and reinsert it.

I hope this helps. Net time, PLEASE don't use HTML or wallpaper for
newsgroup posts.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA