How To Stop "Ker-plunk ker-plunk" USB sound from Device Manager?

Mike Hartsough

How To Stop "Ker-plunk ker-plunk" USB sound from Device Manager?
Every 10 seconds I get a "ker-plunk ker-plunk" sound that I've been able to
track down to a USB hub. I've tried power-cycling the USB hub, and restarted
Windows, and I still get the sound.

The Device Manager window does some sort of rescan/refresh at the same time
as the sounds, so I'm thinking it's some sort of DM issue.

This actually started on an old XP PC a few weeks ago, but this morning it
started happening on a much newer Vista PC. So I'm wondering if there wasn't
some recent Windows update that caused this.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the sound? I can't just leave the hub
unplugged.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Hartsough

RE: How To Stop "Ker-plunk ker-plunk" USB sound from Device Manager?
An update - I should have taken 10 extra minutes to troubleshoot a little more.

The connect/disconnect sound is coming from a Wireless USB adapter. I get
the sound whether it's in the USB hub, or plugged directly into the PC. I
don't believe it's the device, since it's been plugged into this PC for
several months, and it's never been used on the older XP PC that's having a
similar problem. So, any ideas what may be causing the same DM issue on two
different PCs?

Thanks again.....

"Mike Hartsough" wrote:

> Every 10 seconds I get a "ker-plunk ker-plunk" sound that I've been able to
> track down to a USB hub. I've tried power-cycling the USB hub, and restarted
> Windows, and I still get the sound.
>
> The Device Manager window does some sort of rescan/refresh at the same time
> as the sounds, so I'm thinking it's some sort of DM issue.
>
> This actually started on an old XP PC a few weeks ago, but this morning it
> started happening on a much newer Vista PC. So I'm wondering if there wasn't
> some recent Windows update that caused this.
>
> Any ideas on how to get rid of the sound? I can't just leave the hub
> unplugged.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Mike Hartsough

RE: How To Stop "Ker-plunk ker-plunk" USB sound from Device Manage
Nevermind...

Source of the sound is a utility that's running on both PCs that checks for
a printer on my home Network.

Apparently if the printer is turned off the utility looks for it every 10
seconds and makes that sound. What a nuisance.

Apologies for wasting anyone's time.....
Rojo Habe

Re: How To Stop "Ker-plunk ker-plunk" USB sound from Device Manage
It's never a waste when you post the solution. Someone else may have been
following this thread looking for an answer, in which case you've helped
them.

newsE7D4103-06C2-4D01-A9F5-7AC969A4224E@microsoft.com...