my windows vista does not show up my HDD

shiryudeviant

my windows vista does not show up my HDD

The thing is this, i took out from a pc a HDD barracuda 7200.7, which
had installed linux, then i connected it to my laptop via USB, my laptop
is running on vista and i do not know why it does not show the HDD i
went into administration tools and did everything, try to initialize it,
and nothing happened, tried to put a different letter to the drive and
it just do not let me do anything at all, i change the jumpers position
and tried again, i did everything i could, but the HDD is there, but
when i get to my computer menu, it does not show up, finally i have got
a usb booteable SLAX, and when i use SLAX, the HDD is there, the thing
is that i want to use a recovery files program and i can not use it,
because i am not familiarized with SLAX, i tried to put the software on
modules, and the software are there but, the bloody thing is not working
or not executing, i tried a lot of commands, and nothing, i could not
get through the bloody software to run it.... i am really desperate now,
if anyone could help in this annoying situation i will appreciate it.
Cheers!:shock:

--
shiryudeviant
Timmah

Re: my windows vista does not show up my HDD

You tried formatting the drive? The Windows and Unix file systems are
incompatible. You will need to format the drive before your PC will be
able to read it.

--
Timmah

If I helped you, No need to thank me, just give me some + Rep
shiryudeviant

Re: my windows vista does not show up my HDD

cool and thanks, but i do not even have any idea about how to format a
HDD that i can not even see in my computer, i mean how can i format the
HDD in this situation where i can not get through it, is there a program
that can do that? i will take a look but if you now about anything i
would appreciate if you tell me...only one thing if i format the HDD
obviously i will delete the files inside and i want to save them, is it
possible to recover the files after formatting the HDD??? cheers

--
shiryudeviant
Timmah

Re: my windows vista does not show up my HDD

The only way for you to recover the files would be for you to put the
drive back in the original system, if it will boot up and recover the
files from it with an external USB Drive. Second step- you can use a
Windows Vista DVD to format the drive, but as soon as you finish the
format, eject the DVD and power down the computer- then you should be
able to connect it to your other computer, which should recognize the
drive and assign it a proper letter.

Now, the reason your computer won't assign it a drive letter is because
your computer doesn't know what to do with it for now

-Good luck!