Windows Vista and 2 Gb RAM?

Brian V

Windows Vista and 2 Gb RAM?
Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really
runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot
less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also.

Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista
runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM?

Thank you.
Peter Foldes

Re: Windows Vista and 2 Gb RAM?
Brian

Having 2gig of RAM is a lot better than having 1 GIG or even 512MB. Go for it and
you will not regret it

--
Peter

"Brian V" <BrianV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really
> runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot
> less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also.
>
> Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista
> runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM?
>
> Thank you.

Curious

Re: Windows Vista and 2 Gb RAM?
I ran two Vista Home Premium systems for several years with 1GB RAM without
any problems. I also have run Windows 7 Home Premium on a laptop with
only 1GB of Ram without problem.

"Brian V" <BrianV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really
> runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot
> less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also.
>
> Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista
> runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM?
>
> Thank you.

Curious

Re: Windows Vista and 2 Gb RAM?
I ran two Vista Home premium systems with only 1 GB for several years
without problem I also have run Windows7 on my laptop with only 1GB of Ram.
Will the system perform better with 2GB, yes but depending on your
applications the improvement may be not even be noticed

"Brian V" <BrianV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really
> runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot
> less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also.
>
> Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista
> runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM?
>
> Thank you.

Richard G. Harper

Re: Windows Vista and 2 Gb RAM?
Yes, it's just that it runs smoother that way. When Vista first came out I
did some testing and you can indeed run it with 512mb or 1gb of memory but
it's not a truly enjoyable experience. As cheap as memory is these days one
should consider 2gb to be the starting point for either Vista or Windows 7.

"Brian V" <BrianV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really
> runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot
> less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also.
>
> Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista
> runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM?
>
> Thank you.

Brian V

Re: Windows Vista and 2 Gb RAM?
I completely plan on getting the maximum amount of RAM my OS and mobo can
handle (I learned tech slang posting here, and I'm using it).

Lots of people have told me that Windows 7 works fine with 1Gb. But music,
pictures and video stuff I use would be best with more RAM. I was just on a
video editing site and most people who use those programs professionally or
at an advanced level were saying 4Gb mostly and some more with XP, Vista and
7.

Thanks again everyone.

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Yes, it's just that it runs smoother that way. When Vista first came out I
> did some testing and you can indeed run it with 512mb or 1gb of memory but
> it's not a truly enjoyable experience. As cheap as memory is these days one
> should consider 2gb to be the starting point for either Vista or Windows 7.
>
> "Brian V" <BrianV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really
> > runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot
> > less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also.
> >
> > Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista
> > runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM?
> >
> > Thank you.

> .

smlunatick

Re: Windows Vista and 2 Gb RAM?
On Jan 17, 4:21*am, Brian V <Bri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I completely plan on getting the maximum amount of RAM my OS and mobo can
> handle (I learned tech slang posting here, and I'm using it).
>
> Lots of people have told me that Windows 7 works fine with 1Gb. But music,
> pictures and video stuff I use would be best with more RAM. I was just ona
> video editing site and most people who use those programs professionally or
> at an advanced level were saying 4Gb mostly and some more with XP, Vista and
> 7.
>
> Thanks again everyone.
>
> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
> > Yes, it's just that it runs smoother that way. *When Vista first cameout I
> > did some testing and you can indeed run it with 512mb or 1gb of memory but
> > it's not a truly enjoyable experience. *As cheap as memory is these days one
> > should consider 2gb to be the starting point for either Vista or Windows 7.

> > "Brian V" <Bri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really
> > > runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states alot
> > > less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also.

> > > Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista
> > > runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM?

> > > Thank you.

> > .

Consider going to 64 bit versions. Windows Vista / 7 64 bit seems to
work better with at least 4GB. 64 bit versions do not have the 3.25GB
- 3.50GB RAM limit.