installing an identical motherboard to a perfectly operating syste

micromho

installing an identical motherboard to a perfectly operating syste
I want to install an identical motherboard to my pc.I'm running ultimate 64
two 8800gtx cards with raid 5.Asus says it will boot without error.I just
don't know.I would think at least the bios options that were changed
originally to set up the first board would have to be done.Also what about
activation.
If you ask why I'm doing this my answer is because it makes me happy.
Kerry Brown

Re: installing an identical motherboard to a perfectly operating syste
"micromho" <micromho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to install an identical motherboard to my pc.I'm running ultimate 64
> two 8800gtx cards with raid 5.Asus says it will boot without error.I just
> don't know.I would think at least the bios options that were changed
> originally to set up the first board would have to be done.Also what about
> activation.
> If you ask why I'm doing this my answer is because it makes me happy.

If the motherboard has an onboard NIC it is quite likely you will have to
reactivate. As far as booting it should be fine but there's no guarantees.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Dustin Harper

Re: installing an identical motherboard to a perfectly operating syste
There shouldn't be an issue with it booting up as its an identical
motherboard, and all the same drivers will be needed. The only thing that
might affect activation (not sure if this counts) is the onboard NIC MAC
address will be different.

The BIOS settings shouldn't matter, as I can change any of mine at any time
without affecting it.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"micromho" <micromho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to install an identical motherboard to my pc.I'm running ultimate 64
> two 8800gtx cards with raid 5.Asus says it will boot without error.I just
> don't know.I would think at least the bios options that were changed
> originally to set up the first board would have to be done.Also what about
> activation.
> If you ask why I'm doing this my answer is because it makes me happy.

micromho

Re: installing an identical motherboard to a perfectly operating s
Kelly,I am a novice and I don't know if this motherboard has an on board
NIC.The acronym stands for what?I have the manual and can go into the mobo
for any information that may help me.Bear with the questions.Thanks, Bob

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "micromho" <micromho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I want to install an identical motherboard to my pc.I'm running ultimate 64
> > two 8800gtx cards with raid 5.Asus says it will boot without error.I just
> > don't know.I would think at least the bios options that were changed
> > originally to set up the first board would have to be done.Also what about
> > activation.
> > If you ask why I'm doing this my answer is because it makes me happy.

> If the motherboard has an onboard NIC it is quite likely you will have to
> reactivate. As far as booting it should be fine but there's no guarantees.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca

micromho

Re: installing an identical motherboard to a perfectly operating s
Thank you Dustin,
Are there any microsoft knowledgeable persons out there who might be abe to
tell me if there will be an activation problem.I just bought this key( vista
ultimate 64) a week ago and installed it on this motherboard/ pc. Bob

"Dustin Harper" wrote:

> There shouldn't be an issue with it booting up as its an identical
> motherboard, and all the same drivers will be needed. The only thing that
> might affect activation (not sure if this counts) is the onboard NIC MAC
> address will be different.
>
> The BIOS settings shouldn't matter, as I can change any of mine at any time
> without affecting it.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>
> --
> "micromho" <micromho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I want to install an identical motherboard to my pc.I'm running ultimate 64
> > two 8800gtx cards with raid 5.Asus says it will boot without error.I just
> > don't know.I would think at least the bios options that were changed
> > originally to set up the first board would have to be done.Also what about
> > activation.
> > If you ask why I'm doing this my answer is because it makes me happy.

Michael Solomon

micromho wrote:
> Kelly,I am a novice and I don't know if this motherboard has an on
> board NIC.The acronym stands for what?I have the manual and can go
> into the mobo for any information that may help me.Bear with the
> questions.Thanks, Bob

NIC=Network Interface Card, the device to which you connect an Ethernet
cable to a network device such as a router or a hub.

When you change the NIC, something you would be doing by defualt by changing
the motherboard even though the boards are identical, it often triggers the
need to activate. Assuming a legal retail copy of Vista, this should not be
an issue though it might not activate over the Internet. If it doesn't,
just run activation again and use the activate by phone option.

--
Michael Solomon

Richard Urban

Re: installing an identical motherboard to a perfectly operating s
You try it and you will find out. People have told you you may have
problems. It is now on your shoulders to confirm such.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

> Thank you Dustin,
> Are there any microsoft knowledgeable persons out there who might be abe
> tell me if there will be an activation problem.I just bought this key(
> vista
> ultimate 64) a week ago and installed it on this motherboard/ pc. Bob
>
> "Dustin Harper" wrote:
>
>> There shouldn't be an issue with it booting up as its an identical
>> motherboard, and all the same drivers will be needed. The only thing that
>> might affect activation (not sure if this counts) is the onboard NIC MAC
>> address will be different.
>>
>> The BIOS settings shouldn't matter, as I can change any of mine at any
>> time
>> without affecting it.
>>
>> --
>> Dustin Harper
>> dharper@vistarip.com
>> http://www.vistarip.com
>>
>> --
>> "micromho" <micromho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I want to install an identical motherboard to my pc.I'm running ultimate
>> >64
>> > two 8800gtx cards with raid 5.Asus says it will boot without error.I
>> > just
>> > don't know.I would think at least the bios options that were changed
>> > originally to set up the first board would have to be done.Also what
>> > about
>> > activation.
>> > If you ask why I'm doing this my answer is because it makes me happy.

Dustin Harper

Re: installing an identical motherboard to a perfectly operating s
If you do have problems, it just takes a 5 minute phone call to the
Microsoft activation center to get it back up and activated.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

> You try it and you will find out. People have told you you may have
> problems. It is now on your shoulders to confirm such.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>
> "micromho" <micromho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you Dustin,
>> Are there any microsoft knowledgeable persons out there who might be abe
>> tell me if there will be an activation problem.I just bought this key(
>> vista
>> ultimate 64) a week ago and installed it on this motherboard/ pc. Bob
>>
>> "Dustin Harper" wrote:
>>
>>> There shouldn't be an issue with it booting up as its an identical
>>> motherboard, and all the same drivers will be needed. The only thing
>>> that
>>> might affect activation (not sure if this counts) is the onboard NIC MAC
>>> address will be different.
>>>
>>> The BIOS settings shouldn't matter, as I can change any of mine at any
>>> time
>>> without affecting it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dustin Harper
>>> dharper@vistarip.com
>>> http://www.vistarip.com

micromho

Re: installing an identical motherboard to a perfectly operating s
To al,
Thanks for your input.Does anyone have the microsoft tel. # if reactivation
is necessary?
Thanks, Bob

"Dustin Harper" wrote:

> If you do have problems, it just takes a 5 minute phone call to the
> Microsoft activation center to get it back up and activated.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com

> > You try it and you will find out. People have told you you may have
> > problems. It is now on your shoulders to confirm such.
> >
> > --
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Richard Urban
> > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> > (For email, remove the obvious from my address)
> >
> > Quote from George Ankner:
> > If you knew as much as you think you know,
> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
> >
> > "micromho" <micromho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Thank you Dustin,
> >> Are there any microsoft knowledgeable persons out there who might be abe
> >> tell me if there will be an activation problem.I just bought this key(
> >> vista
> >> ultimate 64) a week ago and installed it on this motherboard/ pc. Bob

JW

Re: installing an identical motherboard to a perfectly operating s
Are you replacing the existing MOBO or trying to install the OS on two
different systems containg the same MOBO with only one product key.
You are correct the MAC address of the NIC along with I believe the CPU or
MOBO serial number will prevent automatic activation and if you call and get
the second installation activated AFAIK the deactivate the first
installation.