hard drive data retrieval

Walter Goldschmidt

hard drive data retrieval
I crashed my computer and had to buy a new one. All my email contacts are on
the old computers hard drive which I kept. How do I go about retrieving my
contact information off of my old hard drive?

Walt

Dominic Payer

Re: hard drive data retrieval
Either connect the disk directly to your new motherboard - jumper it
correctly if it is an IDE disk - or buy a USB external disk case and fit
it in that. Again, jumper it as master if it is an IDE disk.

The data will be visible when you have assigned a drive letter to the
disk in Disk Management, if this does not happen automatically.

Transfer procedures will depend on which programs you were using before
and are using now.

This assumes the crash was not because the disk itself failed. If the
disk failed, you may need to send it to a recovery spe******t.

On 07/01/2010 09:46, Walter Goldschmidt wrote:
> I crashed my computer and had to buy a new one. All my email contacts
> are on the old computers hard drive which I kept. How do I go about
> retrieving my contact information off of my old hard drive?
>
> Walt

DL

Re: hard drive data retrieval
The simplest full proof method is from your external data backups

"Walter Goldschmidt" <wgold@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
>I crashed my computer and had to buy a new one. All my email contacts are
>on the old computers hard drive which I kept. How do I go about retrieving
>my contact information off of my old hard drive?
>
> Walt

smlunatick

On Jan 7, 9:46*am, "Walter Goldschmidt" <wg...@woh.rr.com> wrote:
> I crashed my computer and had to buy a new one. All my email contacts areon
> the old computers hard drive which I kept. How do I go about retrieving my
> contact information off of my old hard drive?
>
> Walt

Get an USB external drive enclosure and place the older drive into it.
R. C. White

Re: hard drive data retrieval
Hi, Walt.

I just open the computer case, then grab a couple of cables and connect the
old drive to the connectors on the new mobo. Don't even have to put the old
drive in the case, just set it on a table or something close enough for the
cables to reach. And I usually don't throw away the old drive if it still
works; just mount it in the new case for additional storage or backup. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX