2,3 ide drives disappear

uk_guy_1960@hotmail.com

2,3 ide drives disappear
i have 3 physical IDE drives (the primary [drive c], and a slave , plus
another as master on second channel + my DVD as the 4th ide device

on installing Vista ultimate , runs - but , but every so often , (maybe
every couple of days) , wil be 1/2 way thru doing something , and all the
drives (physical , and partition) , will all dissapear , except the c
(windows) drive , this doesnt seem to happen when i am doing anything in
particular , and sometimes happens when the drive is actual being used , i.e
1/2 way thru burning a DVD , the dvd drive will just "dissapear" causing
nero to crash , i have also experinecen it many time when doing something
basic like dragging a file form one fdrive to another in explorer , 1/2 way
thru the copy dialog , an error will come up "cannot find file" , on
checking my computer , all drives have dissappaered except C - only a hard
reboot , will get them back, sometimes with errors , as i have to perform a
chkdisk. i have seen a few posts with comments about checking cabling on the
drives , has anyone else experienced this problem

seems a bit of a shame that im not using vista , not because of the
lack of software - but because basic i/o is falling over

ta
swasrfa007

RE: 2,3 ide drives disappear
I have had the same thing happened on Windows XP SP2 too.
I cant really remember what I did to solve this problem.
Did u find any problem when u installing Windows Vista?
Did you 100% sure follow the steps when installing Windows Vista?

"uk_guy_1960@hotmail.com" wrote:

> i have 3 physical IDE drives (the primary [drive c], and a slave , plus
> another as master on second channel + my DVD as the 4th ide device
>
> on installing Vista ultimate , runs - but , but every so often , (maybe
> every couple of days) , wil be 1/2 way thru doing something , and all the
> drives (physical , and partition) , will all dissapear , except the c
> (windows) drive , this doesnt seem to happen when i am doing anything in
> particular , and sometimes happens when the drive is actual being used , i.e
> 1/2 way thru burning a DVD , the dvd drive will just "dissapear" causing
> nero to crash , i have also experinecen it many time when doing something
> basic like dragging a file form one fdrive to another in explorer , 1/2 way
> thru the copy dialog , an error will come up "cannot find file" , on
> checking my computer , all drives have dissappaered except C - only a hard
> reboot , will get them back, sometimes with errors , as i have to perform a
> chkdisk. i have seen a few posts with comments about checking cabling on the
> drives , has anyone else experienced this problem
>
> seems a bit of a shame that im not using vista , not because of the
> lack of software - but because basic i/o is falling over
>
> ta

uk_guy_1960@hotmail.com

RE: 2,3 ide drives disappear
yes , ive been running xp pro - for years , with no problem, vista works
fine, and then occasionally the drive "disappear" , im thinking its a
problem with a windows driver , and/or some software that i installed after
vista , but doesnt seem to be a pattern as to when and why it happens : i
was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem , and have
tracked it down to some specific 3rd party software, the only other
alternative is it to install a base operating system , and do an image/ghost
before each software installation , - but this seems to be using a
sledghammer to crack a nut - as it may be several weeks before the problems
arises

"swasrfa007" wrote:

> I have had the same thing happened on Windows XP SP2 too.
> I cant really remember what I did to solve this problem.
> Did u find any problem when u installing Windows Vista?
> Did you 100% sure follow the steps when installing Windows Vista?
>
> "uk_guy_1960@hotmail.com" wrote:
>
> > i have 3 physical IDE drives (the primary [drive c], and a slave , plus
> > another as master on second channel + my DVD as the 4th ide device
> >
> > on installing Vista ultimate , runs - but , but every so often , (maybe
> > every couple of days) , wil be 1/2 way thru doing something , and all the
> > drives (physical , and partition) , will all dissapear , except the c
> > (windows) drive , this doesnt seem to happen when i am doing anything in
> > particular , and sometimes happens when the drive is actual being used , i.e
> > 1/2 way thru burning a DVD , the dvd drive will just "dissapear" causing
> > nero to crash , i have also experinecen it many time when doing something
> > basic like dragging a file form one fdrive to another in explorer , 1/2 way
> > thru the copy dialog , an error will come up "cannot find file" , on
> > checking my computer , all drives have dissappaered except C - only a hard
> > reboot , will get them back, sometimes with errors , as i have to perform a
> > chkdisk. i have seen a few posts with comments about checking cabling on the
> > drives , has anyone else experienced this problem
> >
> > seems a bit of a shame that im not using vista , not because of the
> > lack of software - but because basic i/o is falling over
> >
> > ta

Joker

RE: 2,3 ide drives disappear
Hey,

Sometimes when I insert a cd in my dvd drive, it disapears. Reboot,
everything back to normal and I can even use the cd, but it happens!!! Any
luck with solving the problem yet?

--
Joker
Computer Engineer